RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Washington Radio Discussion Forum

Washington Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Washington.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 5:57 AM
DB Admin Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Welcome aboard
lowboy654@radioreference.com
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2014, 5:41 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyOtaku View Post

Equipment:
Uniden BCD536HP
Radio Shack 20-032 Magnet Mount
(antenna on metal roofed home) have another one on my SUV
Lee, dump the magnet mounts. You can thank me later.
Old 08-12-2014, 8:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Lee, dump the magnet mounts. You can thank me later.
Any idea for a replacement? I can see a replacement for the base mount, that was a temporary replacement for the stock antenna due to a metal roof. What would you recommend for the mobile replacement? I don't have any problem picking up 800mhz p25 trunked with either system. I don't have any P25 phase II systems within 200 miles of my location. Most signals in my area are either analog conventional/trunked or P25 Phase I conventional.
Old 08-12-2014, 8:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Any idea for a replacement? I can see a replacement for the base mount, that was a temporary replacement for the stock antenna due to a metal roof. What would you recommend for the mobile replacement? I don't have any problem picking up 800mhz p25 trunked with either system. I don't have any P25 phase II systems within 200 miles of my location. Most signals in my area are either analog conventional/trunked or P25 Phase I conventional.
Lee, I was being somewhat fatalistic but in reality, you'll get better performance using a NMO mount. Also, it just looks better. Of course, this means drilling a hole into your trunk lid or roof. Center of roof is considered ideal but at 700/800 Mhz a trunk lid is fine too.

Mount: MB240: 3/4" Hole Brass NMO Mount with 17' LMR240 Cable

You'll need to buy a BNC connector kit for this mount.

Antenna: ABSCANC - Antenex Scanner Antenna (150/450/800 MHz, Receive only Gain, Black)

Alternate Antenna: QWB450 - Antenex Quarterwave Antenna (450-470MHz, Unity Gain, Black)

I switch scanner antennas when I have to go into parking garages, etc. The Laird scanner antenna is 19" so it's just a tad tall for my Durango. It's a great scanner antenna though. The UHF antenna does fine when I need to go small.

Obviously, not everyone can drill holes into their vehicles for various reasons. Some radio shops can install the antenna for you for a very reasonable cost. It only takes about 30 minutes when done properly.
Old 08-12-2014, 8:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Lee, I was being somewhat fatalistic but in reality, you'll get better performance using a NMO mount. Also, it just looks better. Of course, this means drilling a hole into your trunk lid or roof. Center of roof is considered ideal but at 700/800 Mhz a trunk lid is fine too.

Mount: MB240: 3/4" Hole Brass NMO Mount with 17' LMR240 Cable

You'll need to buy a BNC connector kit for this mount.

Antenna: ABSCANC - Antenex Scanner Antenna (150/450/800 MHz, Receive only Gain, Black)

Alternate Antenna: QWB450 - Antenex Quarterwave Antenna (450-470MHz, Unity Gain, Black)

I switch scanner antennas when I have to go into parking garages, etc. The Laird scanner antenna is 19" so it's just a tad tall for my Durango. It's a great scanner antenna though. The UHF antenna does fine when I need to go small.

Obviously, not everyone can drill holes into their vehicles for various reasons. Some radio shops can install the antenna for you for a very reasonable cost. It only takes about 30 minutes when done properly.
Thanks for the info but that is a little bit extreme for me as I use that antenna on multiple vehicles. It seems to work fine for what I use it for at least. Its just a longer version of the one you linked to. I attached a pic of it. It may be a little unsightly but for around here that's normal being in a small farming community in the boonies
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 PM

Hello everybody,

I've moved to Redmond, WA. I'm using an old Bearcat BC895XLT. I'm only using the whip antenna that came with it, so I'm not picking up much in my 3rd floor apartment up on the hill.

When I have the dough to get an actual home here, I'll start upgrading my gear. Work keeps me busy, and away from the airwaves.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I've been away for quite a while.

Cheers!
Old 08-26-2014, 9:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Talking New Base Antenna System

I finally got my base antenna up and working. Here is what I used:

D130NJ Diamond Super Discone Antenna
LMR-400 Coax Cable, 75', N Male & BNC Male

Attached is a pic of the antenna at the end of a 22ft mast. Already seeing great improvement in reception. I never would have gotten what I did if it wasn't for the discussions in this forum.

Lee Kanzler
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 9:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
I finally got my base antenna up and working. Attached is a pic of the antenna at the end of a 22ft mast. Already seeing great improvement in reception. I never would have gotten what I did if it wasn't for the discussions in this forum.
Looks good Lee! Just out of curiosity what did you use for a mast? I'd love to find something cheap, manageable that's around 20ft. I heard of some supply warehouses selling cheap EMT conduit in 20ft and 40ft lengths but getting it home would be a chore.

BTW, the Diamond is a good antenna. I have the R/S version (which is an exact copy) and it's still going strong after 13+ years up on the roof despite many snow, rain and wind storms. It's on the corner of the house, so it's not exactly vulnerable like yours but if mine is any indication you should haven't any problems.

For gain, you may want to consider one of DPD antennas such as the LP model:

http://dpdproductions.com/page_scanner.html#uhflp

You can use the same mast. Just have to add another run of coax. It's great for picking up trunking sites at long distance especially since you have some height on your mast.

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2014, 2:20 PM

Not sure if this is the thread to post this inquiry, but I will give it a shot. I've "recently" (15 months or so) returned to the Seattle/Tacoma are after spending 15 years in the St. Louis area. I'm attempting to better understand the utilization of certain talk groups in the Seattle/King County Public Safety system; specifically the PSOPS and ERT talk groups. Are these talk groups available for use by any of the various municipalities participating in the system? Are certain groups assigned to certain agencies? If so, which ones use which group? What is the difference in use between PSOPS and ERT- and what does ERT stand for? How does the use of these talk groups differ from the TAC talkgroups? I'm trying to organize the various system talk groups into scan lists on my GRE PSR-500 in such a way as to avoid scanning ALL the ERT/PSOP/TAC groups in every scan list. Another question is in regard to the use of the Valley NARC talkgroups. Is this King County PD only or do various municipalities use it as well? Thanks in advance for your insight and assistance.
Sponsored links

Tags