WVSP Troop 1 (Chester / ?Moundsville)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Out of New Cumberland when I monitor the WVSP, the traffic is on the 42.02/45.34 (base/mobile) pair. However, the PL is not 167.9 as listed in the RRDB but rather 173.8.

So in order for me to hear WVSP with PL on, I have to program in a PL of 173.8.

42.02 ctcss/pl 173.8 WVSP base
45.34 ctcss/pl 173.8 WVSP mobiles

453.400 ctcss/pl 167.9 WVSP mobile traffic is retransmitted on this freq

When 45.34 mobiles key up (at least in Hancock Co area), that audio is retransmitted on 453.400 (being sent to some more remote spot I guess).

Just wanted to pass that along for those of you who monitor WVSP up in the Northern Panhandle (at least out of Chester/New Cumberland area).

NOTE: I have no idea if this also applies to the WVSP base/mobiles out of Moundsville (on the same frequency pair). Your mileage may vary.

This has been my experience over the holidays as I have been monitoring WVSP.

Mike

Mylan

Feed Provider
hey I was thinking... maybe the dispatch uses a different tone for each detatchment so as not to interfere with the others...

I listen to the WVSP on an old scanner that doesn't even have tone option so I will dedicate a tone search on another radio down here and let you know what I come up with for ohio and marshall...

FYI.. in the last ten years, I have NEVER heard any traffic whatsoever out of wellsburg or new cumberland or heard any of the brooke hancock troopers talking or being talked to on low band..... back in the 1990's when WVSP used 42.100 for the northern panhandle base freq., I used to always hear moundsville calling new cumberland and wellsburg.....

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
hey I was thinking... maybe the dispatch uses a different tone for each detatchment so as not to interfere with the others...

I listen to the WVSP on an old scanner that doesn't even have tone option so I will dedicate a tone search on another radio down here and let you know what I come up with for ohio and marshall...

FYI.. in the last ten years, I have NEVER heard any traffic whatsoever out of wellsburg or new cumberland or heard any of the brooke hancock troopers talking or being talked to on low band..... back in the 1990's when WVSP used 42.100 for the northern panhandle base freq., I used to always hear moundsville calling new cumberland and wellsburg.....

I definitely am hearing the New Cumberland / Wellsburg area troopers. Of course, keep in mind that I'm directly across the river (but at 1200+ feet) from NC. On the outside antenna i don't have any problem hearing them.

Of course, if you do as I mentioned you may hear them more often - the mobile traffic is sent out on 453.4 (presumably on southward). If you hear any traffic on there with the PL I mentioned before for that frequency, you're hearing the units from up north.

BTW - I do hear them call in to Moundsville most of the time, but sometimes I'll hear them actually communicating with the base in NC.

Mike

Mylan

Feed Provider
yeah sometimes they call in to the detatchment secretary.... but as far as I know, all dispatching is still handled by Moundsville....
also I often hear Moundsville saying that they are going to "try x tower" (with x being any specific one of their many towers) when they are having reception troubles so maybe each tower is assigned a specific tone.. do you think that is a possibility?

so mike... do you pick up pittsburgh police on 453.400?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
yeah sometimes they call in to the detatchment secretary.... but as far as I know, all dispatching is still handled by Moundsville....
also I often hear Moundsville saying that they are going to "try x tower" (with x being any specific one of their many towers) when they are having reception troubles so maybe each tower is assigned a specific tone.. do you think that is a possibility?

so mike... do you pick up pittsburgh police on 453.400?

I dont know - I never "tried." I pick up quite a few allegheny co law/ems freqs and some pittsburgh - but this one specifically I am not sure of. Since I have 453.400 entered in with the PL for WVSP, I wouldn't hear any other traffic even if it was there. I've never heard anybody else on 453.400 when casually scanning though... so maybe I don't hear PGH on that freq.

That's an interesting note about 'try x tower' - I've never heard that but I'll listen. And yeah I suppose they may be able to switch to a different tower simply by using a different transmit PL.

Mike

wvscanner

Database Admin
I never heard of tower x or reference any tower by number or name but here in the Beckley area they do use towers like that. It is about the only way I can hear anything from them unless they are near by. At most I heard them saying they can't copy each other and " Is this better " and that usually on another tower. However the towers here use the same PL numbers as their low band freq.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Usually, the detachments can hear the mobiles fine on one or more towers, and they can hear as many towers at a time as they have turned up. Typically, when they say they're gonna "try the X tower", that's because the mobile can't hear HQ on the tower s/he's on. WVSP uses a variety of methods to address their remote bases, but the most common are UHF (typically 451/456 or 460/465 MHz pairs) or VHF mid-band (typically 72/75 MHz pairs) remote bases. Listen for the remote base [i.e., the mobiles -> HQ half of the link] on the low side of the pair, and the HQ -> remote base link on the high side.

...R

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Usually, the detachments can hear the mobiles fine on one or more towers, and they can hear as many towers at a time as they have turned up. Typically, when they say they're gonna "try the X tower", that's because the mobile can't hear HQ on the tower s/he's on. WVSP uses a variety of methods to address their remote bases, but the most common are UHF (typically 451/456 or 460/465 MHz pairs) or VHF mid-band (typically 72/75 MHz pairs) remote bases. Listen for the remote base [i.e., the mobiles -> HQ half of the link] on the low side of the pair, and the HQ -> remote base link on the high side.

...R

Thanks. That's very useful info. I did notice that when I would hear the mobiles on low band in Hancock Co I would usually hear them also on 453.4. I'm too far away to hear Moundsville on 458.4 apparently. Then again, maybe I just didn't think to put that frequency in. I will. but I usually can hear Moundsville on low band so I guess it doesn't matter.

I remember monitoring the 72/75 pairs a few years ago when I first got my 996. I didn't know who I was listening to at the time but I knew I had found somebody. It wasn't a link up my way though - probably downstate wv.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.