148.1250MHz CAP Secondary - P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Net-5

Civil Air Patrol

EDIT: I went back and listened to the recorded audio...sounds like they have encryption as well. nice...one more thing that if I wanted to listen to I might not be able to.

Join CAP, become a communicatons officer, and you will get to use the radio gear (provided to CAP by the USAF) and hear it all, too. CAP is always looking for volunteers. No military experience necessary.

ecps92

From reading the multiple multiple and numerous documents on the new CAP system it seems:

a.) Corporate Assets have the capability of Encryption
b.) Personal and other radios can do P25, but not the Encryption
c.) Most of the activity will be retained in Analog, unless missions dictate

Civil Air Patrol

EDIT: I went back and listened to the recorded audio...sounds like they have encryption as well. nice...one more thing that if I wanted to listen to I might not be able to.

ecps92

Mike, do you have the NAC Code? Those codes translate from the HEX back to the CTCSS that will be used in Analog for that specific Repeater.

Each Repeater will have it's own Tone and there is no Common Access like they had in the past using 100.0 Hz

Heard testing on 148.1250MHz just now. They were testing P25 radios. Sounded very good.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
From reading the multiple multiple and numerous documents on the new CAP system it seems:

a.) Corporate Assets have the capability of Encryption
b.) Personal and other radios can do P25, but not the Encryption
c.) Most of the activity will be retained in Analog, unless missions dictate

I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to encrypt, they should be able to like anyone else that is allowed that needs to protect what's being transmitted.

Last edited:

ecps92

What we need to remember is:

The users are likely Cadets and Seniors who purchased their own Radios.
They are not going to Front $5k for an XTS5000 or Equiv. So your probably going to more analog usage. Corp/HQ issued other radios for the Fleet Vehicles and Aircraft and those are more likely to have the P25/Enc. Personally I don't think a Wing or HQ is going to program [Encryption Keys] Encryption into a personally owned radio that can not be recalled back to be cleaned before being sold etc.

Look for more Analog or P25 CLEAR unless the mission dictates Encryption, but then if that occurs you do limit the # of radios on the mission

I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to encrypt, they should be able to like anyone else that is allowed that needs to protect what's being transmitted.

Net-5

What we need to remember is:

The users are likely Cadets and Seniors who purchased their own Radios.
They are not going to Front $5k for an XTS5000 or Equiv. So your probably going to more analog usage. Corp/HQ issued other radios for the Fleet Vehicles and Aircraft and those are more likely to have the P25/Enc. Personally I don't think a Wing or HQ is going to program [Encryption Keys] Encryption into a personally owned radio that can not be recalled back to be cleaned before being sold etc.

Look for more Analog or P25 CLEAR unless the mission dictates Encryption, but then if that occurs you do limit the # of radios on the mission

It used to be that the CAP radio system was a patchwork of radios and gear that was personally owned by the seniors and cadets involved with communications. However, this caused problems due to all of the different types of radios and their differing ages and capabilities.

You might already know this, but a number of years ago, the Air Force decided to provide CAP will all necessary radios and gear to accomplish their missions. Personally owned CAP radios are, or will be, non-regulation and their use no longer allowed. This is what I wass told by a communications officer with a squadron in Oregon Wing.

And I think that is a good thing. Not only will the entire radio system be uniform, but the equipment itself will be government provided at no expense to the CAP member. And hopefully, the radios that CAP gets won't be old, junky cast offs from the Air Force, but new gear with many of the latest capabilities.

Personally, I think that listening to CAP comms would be about the most boring thing in the world. On the other hand, I've been known to chuckle at fast food drive-up radio traffic, so what do I know?? :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.