RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of West Virginia.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlyons View Post
It appears that the 1st of the New Year will bring some changes to the radio nets in WV (and maybe nationwide). The rumor has it, Fire & EMS operations may be leaving the P25 system because of operational issues. Based on some of the scuttlebutt circulating, and the confirmed action of Berkeley Co’s re-programming of their pagers and radios to Low band operation, effective 1/1/13. BC Central has also started simile-casting LE “all-calls” on SP’s low band channel (42.10 MHz).

Based on conversations, folks are saying it is the result of a change in DHS’s inoperability needs and the P-25 failures that have been found.

Anyone with any information?
Berkeley Co. used to always simulcast "all calls" over the sheriff's office WVIRP TG as well as WVSP low band. They stopped about a year ago. Last week there was radio testing on the WVSP low band and right after they started simulcasting again. I have no idea if it has anything to do with what you posted or not.
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2012, 8:25 AM

Additional information –
Seeing posting by several different fire companies indicating that all members need to bring their pagers to their stations on a certain date and time frame (or to see the officers retrieve the pagers) to have them reprogrammed or they would no longer receive alerts after 1/1/13.( This was observed from 3 separate companies)

One different report (unverified) may have provided some clarity. They have advised that they are changing the system from a “wide” band alerting to a “narrow” band alerting.

Still trying to determine if this will affect monitoring via scanners.

During a remote rescue a cpl months ago, the P25 system proved to be of a greater deterrence than assistance. They ended up using cell as the primary communication system in Berkeley/Morgan operations. It was a complete failure. Thank goodness the patient survived.

Last edited by dwlyons; 12-18-2012 at 8:28 AM.. Reason: Info add
Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM

Looks like Fayette County's new 911 Center will be open soon....gonna see how that goes

The building is done,they are just waiting on the communications tower to be erected... So I guess it won't be long.
Slow learner for wanting to play prog metal guitar....

Last edited by OldDeadOne; 12-18-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Old 12-18-2012, 1:32 PM

Default Hardy County and Hampshire County

Monitoring in Hardy County...and hearing Hampshire County on SIRN almost exclusively now, although Fire dispatch is simulcasting on the old VHF frees. Hampshire Sheriff seems to be on SIRN exclusively.

Much contention but a little progress in Hardy County. The Sheriff's Office is using both SIRN and the old VHF freq, with some units on one and some on the other, but no simulcasting. Whether they have both radios in each car...I dunno. Need to talk to a deputy to get his take on it. Right now, the dispatchers seem to use whatever base transmitter will reach the deputy they're trying to get.

As for the fire units, it's a murky situation. Talked to a veteran chief who says he has the new SIRN radio and is supposed to use it...but it doesn't work. He's using his personal cell phone to get into the 911 Center and even on firegrounds to talk to other units on their cell phones.

He says his VHF radios have been removed. Dispatching is on the old UHF freq and he gets that on his pager, but has nothing to transmit with on UHF.

He has heard that the County itself will build a new tower for SIRN on Great North Mountain, which is the dividing line between Virginia and WV and home to transmitters from both states. If so, this should solve the problem. The Virginia State Police transmitter on that mountain is solid copy throughout Hardy County, West Virginia.

Would welcome input from anyone else with inside info or monitoring observations.

Steve, N4TX
Old 12-18-2012, 1:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlyons View Post
Additional information –
Seeing posting by several different fire companies indicating that all members need to bring their pagers to their stations on a certain date and time frame (or to see the officers retrieve the pagers) to have them reprogrammed or they would no longer receive alerts after 1/1/13.( This was observed from 3 separate companies)

One different report (unverified) may have provided some clarity. They have advised that they are changing the system from a “wide” band alerting to a “narrow” band alerting.

Still trying to determine if this will affect monitoring via scanners.

During a remote rescue a cpl months ago, the P25 system proved to be of a greater deterrence than assistance. They ended up using cell as the primary communication system in Berkeley/Morgan operations. It was a complete failure. Thank goodness the patient survived.
There are two separate issues there. The pagers cannot operate off the P25 trunking system directly. They would depend on a simulcast system (probably 453.52500 or maybe a VHF-high frequency, based on what I see in the database). The need to use pagers is one reason counties keep their older analog systems, even if they start using P25. Everybody has to reband their equipment on the legacy VHF and UHF systems, not just Berkeley County. That's an FCC rule. The rebanding can potentially affect scanner reception and audio volume, particularly on older scanners.

The gaps in coverage for the P25 SIRN system is another issue. It's important to remember that knowing there are gaps and the need to account for them is a responsibility shared by local officials who make the decision to use the state system, and not solely that of the state.
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredva View Post
There are two separate issues there. The pagers cannot operate off the P25 trunking system directly. They would depend on a simulcast system (probably 453.52500 or maybe a VHF-high frequency, based on what I see in the database). The need to use pagers is one reason counties keep their older analog systems, even if they start using P25. Everybody has to reband their equipment on the legacy VHF and UHF systems, not just Berkeley County. That's an FCC rule. The rebanding can potentially affect scanner reception and audio volume, particularly on older scanners.

The gaps in coverage for the P25 SIRN system is another issue. It's important to remember that knowing there are gaps and the need to account for them is a responsibility shared by local officials who make the decision to use the state system, and not solely that of the state.
I wholeheartedly concur with fredva's comments and might add alot of performance issues depend on the make/model radio used, motorola, kenwood, harris etc.on the SIRN approved list. Hopefully the approved programmers get the radio codeplug setup right. Also tower placement and quantity of towers placed should take care of coverage issues if like fredva stated above if the SIRN regional managers plan correctly.
Old 12-18-2012, 6:24 PM

There are no plans for Fire/EMS on the WV SIRN to leave the SIRN and migrate to somethinge else. For the counties that are mission critical, they have too much money invested in the SIRN to change now. As for Berkeley County using the simulcast on low-band for WVSP, that is a operational procedure for LE in the county. All Fire/EMS pagers can not be trunked or digital, therefore they had to be narrowbaned before Jan 1, 2013, per the FCC. That is why everyone has been "hearing" about the pagers being reprogrammed, only to be narrowbanded, it is happening nationwide. Tower site placement on the SIRN does not come down to regional managers, that is planned from the State of WV and the SIRN.
Old 12-22-2012, 3:29 PM

I am new to the digital trunking scanning. I am looking to monitor Tucker Co. EMS/FIRE/LAW on the IRP. I have the PRO196 and would appreciate any time saving information to help me get these programmed. Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM
WV DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsymedia View Post
I am new to the digital trunking scanning. I am looking to monitor Tucker Co. EMS/FIRE/LAW on the IRP. I have the PRO196 and would appreciate any time saving information to help me get these programmed. Thanks a bunch!
Pro-197 or Pro-96
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2012, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1661 View Post
Pro-197 or Pro-96
Sorry typo..... PRO 197
Old 12-23-2012, 9:57 AM

Easiest way would be to get Win500 and a premium subscripton with radioreference so you can download and upload to your scanner(You will need a usb cable like a GRE cable you can get at radio shack)
Old 12-23-2012, 2:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Gazette Story on WV SIRN

$33M emergency-services tower project to go online June 30 * - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
Old 12-23-2012, 3:56 PM

From reading that,looks like they have added 17 more towers and a malden upgrade that will go online next June. On another thought,I see First energy is P25 and they have a tower in Summersville,makes me wonder if the SIRN is going to be added to that as well(I have not added First Energy's stuff to my scanner but then what the hell if it's P25 that's more for me if they have their own talkgroups-I guess Chad might know more).
Old 12-23-2012, 9:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Nicholas Co P25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDeadOne View Post
From reading that,looks like they have added 17 more towers and a malden upgrade that will go online next June. On another thought,I see First energy is P25 and they have a tower in Summersville,makes me wonder if the SIRN is going to be added to that as well(I have not added First Energy's stuff to my scanner but then what the hell if it's P25 that's more for me if they have their own talkgroups-I guess Chad might know more).
Hey Bert I can receive the Cottle & Summersville Monpwr Sites but so far I've not heard anything on either. I still hear them constantly on 451.225 but it shouldn't be long before they start using it full-time. I don't believe that they will be tied into the SIRN since they are two seperate systems (one UHF & the other VHF). Cottle SIRN is still not online yet but be watching for some more Nich Co TGs in the near future, we've added several more radios to the consoles

73s and hope this helps

Chad
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Thanks for that Chad I will be watching out for new talkgroups
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2012, 2:00 AM
WV DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up White sulphur springs

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0005559553 - WEST VIRGINIA INTEROPERABILITY RADIO NETWORK (WVSIRN) (WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS)

Looks like another is coming!
Old 12-24-2012, 9:00 AM

Who knows how many more will pop up,the more the merrier
Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the link, very interesting article.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Default Berkeley Co. WVIRP Usage

I'd say they need more voice channels; it's been like this a lot of the day.

Last edited by mike_s104; 12-26-2012 at 1:59 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Heard some new talkgroups--new to me, at least...

Not sure if anyone heard these over the holiday, and during the recent storms, but thought I'd share--picked these up on the Romney and Ridge towers:

1351 - Heard E1 talking to E3, calling it the EMA channel. They where helping folks out of the snow, around Slanesville/Hickory Corner. They also asked if one of them was at the center. Office of Emergency Management?

1377 - heard encrypted chatter on this talkgroup--assuming it's Hampshire from the numbering.

1619 - Mineral County Sheriff is my guess for this encrypted group... it seems to fall right between Dispatch and their Private talkgroups.

9057 - Heard lots of encrypted chatter on this group on Christmas Eve... seems it might fall in the same area as a previously ID'd WVSP Special Events talkgroup.

Not much, but i hope this helps some of the folks in the area,