WVSIRN (WVIRP) -- Request for help from listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi Folks,

Over the past few years I've been keeping close tabs on new licenses for WVIRP tower sites. I've been doing this in an attempt to have some information for listeners to monitor potential new sites so that they can let us know when a new site is online.

Below are a list of proposed sites for which we have never received any confirmation of them being active. The WVIRP historically has done a lot of site construction during the winter months, and it appears this winter is no acception. Three new licenses were applied for [and two granted thus far] in just the past month.

I'd appreciate it if folks living in the areas below could monitor frequencies associated with proposed sites in those areas and let us know when a new control channel is heard on one of the frequencies on those sites. Of course, if the listener is savvy with trunked systems, trunking programs, and information displayed on their scanner when they are resting on a control channel, then I'd additionally ask that you let us know the various information (from Site ID, WACN, Site Alias, Site Neighbors, etc).

Below are the sites:

Berkeley Springs (MORGAN)
- a construction notification was sent to the FCC over a year ago suggesting that this site was built. I'd really like to know if an active control channel is found on one of the above frequencies

Kearneysville 2 (JEFFFERSON)

Webster Springs (WEBSTER)

Pennsboro (RITCHIE)

Mannington (MARION)

Terra Alta (PRESTON)

Weston (LEWIS)

Buckhannon (UPSHUR)

Ferrellsburg (LINCOLN)

Williamson (MINGO)

Beckley (RALEIGH)

Weirton (BROOKE)

Spencer (ROANE)

If you have discovered one of the sites above as being online, please post as many details as you have in this thread. If you need assistance figuring out how to get your digital trunking scanner to provide useful information for us to add into the DB, post here and I [and hopefully everyone] will attempt to help you to do that.

Thanks

Mike

wvscanner

Database Admin
Last I heard the Beckley tower at RGH was not plan to be complete til sometime late March. Who knows maybe they are trying a early date. I will load them in the next few days.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Same here Mike. I'll continue to monitor for the Webster & Cottle Sites. Also as Jeff mentioned I'll plug the ones in for Beckley since I travel there quite often. I have heard from sources that proposed freqs for the Cottle (Craigsville) Site is currently being looked at. I heard that it should be up and running by the first of the new year (fingers crossed). I'll keep you posted.

73s

Chad

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Another new license application:

Blueville-Grafton (MORGAN)

Also of note -- More than a handful of tower registration statuses have changed from "Granted" to "Constructed" in the past month.

Mike

Last edited:

dintimid8or

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pennsboro is built, but not operational at this time. It is my understanding that frequencies are needed to connect with Salem and St. Marys.

K4OM

Premium Subscriber
Public radio is working on their transmitter near Diana (Webster County)
So at least the tower and building are up.
Nice road too (I am told).

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
As i figured, Nothing to report, been scanning the freq's above but from here I have received nothing at all....Sorry Mike...I tried...:)

Hi Jim. Not a problem but. On a normal day, the only one I would ever hear if it came online is the Weirton one. I posted that mostly for the lazy west virginians who [for the most part] never attempt to help find new data. They all want somebody else to find it, and then they want to use it rofl. There are exceptions. bubba1661 and ab8sn submit stuff allt he time. But most of the rest of the WV folks are lazy and greedy when it comes to freq info.

So I post the **** in hopes that somebody will actually program the info in and then TELL us when they hear something. I suspect some of them hear stuff but never tell us heh

Mike

cmlewis1969

Premium Subscriber
Mike the Blueville Grafton site is actually in Taylor County not Morgan. I will be in Grafton next week and will take my 106 and laptop and see what i can find. I have a nephew with GFD and he tells me that it will be January when they will begin to start to test the new radios. Ill let ya know what i get while there atleast for neighboring sites.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mike the Blueville Grafton site is actually in Taylor County not Morgan. I will be in Grafton next week and will take my 106 and laptop and see what i can find. I have a nephew with GFD and he tells me that it will be January when they will begin to start to test the new radios. Ill let ya know what i get while there atleast for neighboring sites.

Thanks, that will certainly be a lot of help. The neighbor information really helps.

As far as where the sites are located, if I said that the Blueville-Grafton site is in Taylor, it might be because the FCC records claim that county. And, of course, since I'm not from WV I don't know any better. I've seen a lot of cases where the FCC records don't jive with where sites really are. Ive had people tell me that about a few other sites that are right on the edge of bordering counties. Or, maybe I just made a mistake when it typed it. I do have brain farts on occasion.

Mike

wvscanner

Database Admin
Thanks, that will certainly be a lot of help. The neighbor information really helps.

As far as where the sites are located, if I said that the Blueville-Grafton site is in Taylor, it might be because the FCC records claim that county. And, of course, since I'm not from WV I don't know any better. I've seen a lot of cases where the FCC records don't jive with where sites really are. Ive had people tell me that about a few other sites that are right on the edge of bordering counties. Or, maybe I just made a mistake when it typed it. I do have brain farts on occasion.

Mike

That make me think of this one down here that the FCC listed as Beckley but in Mercer County. The site is about 15 miles south of Beckley and only a few feet from the county line. Its one of those site's that the FCC should of listed it as Ghent and Raleigh County.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
SIRN Craigsville

Another new license just issued:

Craigsville (Nicholas)

Mike

I practically live right underneath of this site. I'll keep you all up to date on this one. I've heard projective site operation should be by the first of the year. Also I appreciate the kind comments Mike. As always I'll try to keep you current on radio activity in this area.

73s

Chad

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I practically live right underneath of this site. I'll keep you all up to date on this one. I've heard projective site operation should be by the first of the year. Also I appreciate the kind comments Mike. As always I'll try to keep you current on radio activity in this area.

73s

Chad

I knew you had been awaiting a list of frequencies. Maybe you'll hit it lucky and it'll come online for Christmas :)

I emailed you as well. Hopefully you are still using the same email account heh.

Mike

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
SIRN Craigsville

I knew you had been awaiting a list of frequencies. Maybe you'll hit it lucky and it'll come online for Christmas :)

I emailed you as well. Hopefully you are still using the same email account heh.

Mike

Yeah I certainly hope so. The Webster Site still isn't online either so between it and the Craigsville Site are my only hopes of hearing any "digital trunked" activity here at home. I'm checking the e-mail right now.

Thanks again Mike

73s

Chad

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just read in the local classifieds(fayette tribune)that there may be a 400ft telecommunications tower to be built at Thurmond,wonder if this will be just a cell tower or maybe IRP(or added on to the tower?)

Status
Not open for further replies.