RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of West Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 4:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Mason County was back on digital when I checked a little while ago. I guess they got whatever the problem was resolved.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2014, 5:20 PM

I've been picking up encrypted traffic on talkgroups 5415 and 5515. Based off of the TG format in the database, I'm thinking it might be Mercer County Sheriff and McDowell County Sheriff on private channels, respectively.
Old 02-26-2014, 7:39 PM

Default Re: SIRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraDIHO View Post
I've been picking up encrypted traffic on talkgroups 5415 and 5515. Based off of the TG format in the database, I'm thinking it might be Mercer County Sheriff and McDowell County Sheriff on private channels, respectively.
If you have a scanner capable of showing radio IDs and have it set to display them, see what other TGs the radios show up on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 8:04 PM

Perhaps a drug task force?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 PM

I didn't think about that, mike_s104. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll log down their RIDs next time.

I bet you're right, MOTOROLANUT.
Sponsored links

Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 PM

Default Logan

Hey is Logan Co. using the state system yet or still on VHF. Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 1:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

They are using both. EMS using it on some calls. WVSP uses it all the time
Old 03-08-2014, 5:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Talk Group

6:15 Saturday night March 8th on SIRN Talk group "8429" off Martinsburg tower. I don't see it listed in the R.R. database. Testing a couple "Radios". Nothing to give me a clue to the ID.
KD8GIS
Old 03-08-2014, 7:43 PM

Default Re: SIRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewarming View Post
6:15 Saturday night March 8th on SIRN Talk group "8429" off Martinsburg tower. I don't see it listed in the R.R. database. Testing a couple "Radios". Nothing to give me a clue to the ID.
I caught it too. RIDs were all 83xxx. Started hearing them on 3/7. All traffic has been what sounds like regular radio checks at around 7am and 5-6pm and a few others at various times. Radio checks are not standard military or fed law enforcement (CBP, FBI, DEA). All transmissions use unit numbers and a lot have an echo like at a jail or prison. So far I've heard Tygart Valley and Moundsville mentioned. It doesn't follow the WV state standard TG assignments but I'm going to guess WV Regional Jail Authority since they have facilities at both locations mentioned. I think we'll start to hear more jails/prisons (Moundsville is both) coming online and we'll be able to figure them out sooner or later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue674aa View Post
Hey is Logan Co. using the state system yet or still on VHF. Thanks
As far as I know Logan Co is still using VHF. I was down that way a couple weeks ago and picked up activity on all the VHF channels, Law Fire and EMS. Plus I have a friend who's a FF down there and confirmed they are still analog.
Old 03-20-2014, 2:51 PM

Does anyone know what the plans are for SIRN in the Hancock, Brooke,Ohio & Marshall county's
Old 03-20-2014, 6:26 PM

Default Northern panhandle

Ohio and Marshall County are currently using the SIRN. Brooke EMA has a talk group on the Ohio County system. The new tower on Archer Hights (Brooke County) is not active. The SIRN committee is waiting on funding and frequencies for that activation. I have been told that agencies have expressed interest in Brooke and Hancock County.
Old 03-21-2014, 7:51 AM

Default SIRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstino View Post
Ohio and Marshall County are currently using the SIRN. Brooke EMA has a talk group on the Ohio County system. The new tower on Archer Hights (Brooke County) is not active. The SIRN committee is waiting on funding and frequencies for that activation. I have been told that agencies have expressed interest in Brooke and Hancock County.
I have heard that Marshall and Ohio have been using SIRN but not much talk going on their talk groups............

Last edited by firemantom26; 03-21-2014 at 7:56 AM..
Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post
I have heard that Marshall and Ohio have been using SIRN but not much talk going on their talk groups............
There is quite a bit of activity on Ohio Co talkgroups -- especially Law / Fire / EMS. There's also quite a bit of traffic on the WVSP talkgroups for Wheeling area. Brooke Fire/EMS is pretty active on the EMA freq if I'm not mistaken.

Nothing going on up in Hancock (and for the most part Brooke other than Fire) for the reasons John mentioned.

WVSP up in Hancock can still be heard regularly on VHF-Lo 40 mhz and on their 450 Mhz UHF link.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 03-24-2014, 1:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default TGID 8429

Picked it up again 3/24/14 2PM. Quick radio check, guy gives report as 5 by 5 signal as whom ever was getting on to the freeway. Also on U.S.A. Public safety I have been getting Berkeley County police on 161.850. The channel is Tac-17 . seems to be simulcast.
KD8GIS
Sponsored links

Old 03-26-2014, 1:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool Virginia

161.850 ended up being a control channel out of Virginia. Why it comes in so good, I don't know.
KD8GIS
Old 03-26-2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Somebody from SIRN knows, I'm sure. Otherwise, if anyone knows they haven't said. It's easy as pie to know if/when it comes online. Just scan 450-465 Mhz every couple of days and make note of any new P25 control channel you find. If you find a new one, there is a 99.9999% likelihood that it'll be the Weirton site.

Chester / New Cumberland will likely be able to hit the Archer Heights transmitter location. Of course, the only users in Hancock likely to be on the system are WVSP. This is probably why it hasn't come online yet. There just isn't demand. Low Band (42/45 mhz) and the 453/458 mhz extenders have worked fine for years. It wouldn't surprise me if Weirton doesn't come online for a long time given the only regular user would be WVSP.

Mike
Where is the Ohio County Simulcast Site located?
Old 03-26-2014, 7:15 PM

Default SIRN Questions

Any questions about the WV IRN can be asked and answered on their website. There is a contact link. I have used it several times. There is a State Police 1st Lt. who is the SIRN Committee Chairperson. He has answered my inquiries on several occasions concerning operation in Brooke and Hancock counties.
Old 03-26-2014, 7:24 PM

Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post
Where is the Ohio County Simulcast Site located?
Being that it is a simulcast, there are a slew of actual sites that make up the simulcast -- and they are spread all over the place. Go look at the Ohio co Simulcast site in the database, then click on each of the callsigns associated with the Ohio co SImulcast site and you'll see the locations.

mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Tags