SIRN

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'd like to start a new thread for the SIRN so it could be done yearly and retire the old one for use as reference(If you all want to keep the other thread as it is that is fine too :) )

I agree mike keep the old as a sticky(and the title should read WVSIRN 2013)

Last edited:

ScanFanWV

Premium Subscriber
Finding Threads in WV Forum

Thank you for starting a new thread for the WV SIRN. I am a newly registered user, and I have a question about how to find new and archived threads in the WV Radio Discussion Forum.

When I click the link for "West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum" found at the top of this page or on the main Forums page, the only thread that I can see is the sticky for "WV Interoperability System," and the "West Virginia Breaking News and Incidents" Sub-Forum. The way I got to this thread was I saw it mentioned on the last page of the old thread, did a Forums search for "SIRN," and found the thread listed among the results.

My question is: Do I have some user setting set wrong, something that prevents me from seeing old and new posts in the WV Radio Discussion Forum?

fredva

Feed Provider
ScanFanWV - when you see the list of threads in the West Virginia forum, look under that for "Display Options" You probably have the threads listed for the "Last Day". Change that to the "Last Week" or "Last Month". That's a temporary fix that may have to be repeated. For whatever reason, this forum defaults to showing only threads from the last day, at least for me and you. Within the last week would be much more useful, considering the frequency of posts.

ScanFanWV

Premium Subscriber
fredva - Thanks for the reply. I found the display options you described, did as you said, and I can see all of the posts, even "From the Beginning." Yay!

Since this is the SIRN thread, I also have a couple of things to share.

First, I picked up TGID # 9185 earlier this afternoon. The RR database identifies this as WV Fire Marshall Channel 3, but I heard someone say "transport one to Kingwood for arraignment," then it was garbled, and then I heard the word "regional" (I assume the Regional Jail considering the mention of an arraignment). This sounds to me more like police than fire. Would police be using a Fire Marshall talkgroup, or is the database wrong?

Second, I am getting hits for a TGID # 4390. I got one around 9:45 AM on January 4th, and another one this morning at 11:35 AM. Both times I heard only a burst of static, and the TGID is not listed in the RR database.

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I had 2 hits on TG 4390, haven't confirmed yet, but listening to it this morning it sounds like Tri-River
Transit, after hearing them going from Hamlin to Mingo Co. Now the ME talk group, that is a mystery.

ScanFanWV

Premium Subscriber
Changing Thread Display Settings

To fredva and anyone else who is interested - I accidentally solved the problem I was having seeing the full list of thread topics on the WV Radio Discussion Forum main page.

Click "User CP" in the toolbar near the top of the page to go to the User Control Panel.

On the left side of the page, under "Settings & Options," click "Edit Options."

Near the bottom of this page is a box for "Thread Display Options." The last thing in the box is the control to change the number of threads you see when you are looking at any Discussion Forum main page. The cut-off is age-based, but the last option in the drop-down menu is "Show all threads."

I selected "Show all threads," clicked "Save Changes" at the very bottom of the page, and now I can see every topic in the WV Forum as soon as I open the page. Finally!

I knew I had to be doing something wrong!

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
To fredva and anyone else who is interested - I accidentally solved the problem I was having seeing the full list of thread topics on the WV Radio Discussion Forum main page.

Click "User CP" in the toolbar near the top of the page to go to the User Control Panel.

On the left side of the page, under "Settings & Options," click "Edit Options."

Near the bottom of this page is a box for "Thread Display Options." The last thing in the box is the control to change the number of threads you see when you are looking at any Discussion Forum main page. The cut-off is age-based, but the last option in the drop-down menu is "Show all threads."

I selected "Show all threads," clicked "Save Changes" at the very bottom of the page, and now I can see every topic in the WV Forum as soon as I open the page. Finally!

I knew I had to be doing something wrong!

We had Faith in You!:D

ScanFanWV

Premium Subscriber
Tg 4390

I picked up TG 4390 again at 4:48 PM this afternoon, and I could hear one side of the conversation. It was a male voice, and the way he talked was pretty casual. He talked like a guy sitting at home on his couch, not formally like cops, EMTs, etc. Here is what I heard:

"Found four" <pause> "Show you where I hide and show you where he hides" <pause> "All right, that sounds good to me."

Hiding? That's interesting. I wish I could have heard the other side.

ScanFanWV

Premium Subscriber
Tg 4390

I don't know which tower was involved. When I set up the TSYS for my radio, I put in the frequencies for the towers with the widest ranges located from Huntington to Thomas (I-64 & I-79), and from Charleston to Flat Top (I-77 WV Turnpike). I also put in the frequencies for the State's mobile transmitter. All totaled, I have 12 sites with a total of 24 frequencies programmed.

I don't know how the State's P25 system really works which is why I put in all of those frequencies. I wanted to make sure I could pick up radio traffic whenever I travel around the state. I have been wondering whether transmissions get repeated across all of the towers, however, because I am sitting in Cross Lanes with a handheld scanner, and I seem to be picking up traffic from Kingwood, WV.

Is it normal to pick up radio transmissions originating from the far side of the state, or is it the result of atmospheric disturbances? My old scanner was an RS PRO-76; my new scanner, which I've had for less than a month, is a GRE PSR-500, so this trunked scanning/digital stuff is completely new to me.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've gotten Clarksburg/Morgantown a few times,but that's been a while ago,I think it's atmospheric,but sometimes I think they just accidentally open for the whole state,dunno.

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Good Evening WV

I just got home from work and was checking this discussion out. I get TG's from all over the state here in Charleston. The WVSIRN is statewide so you never know who your going to hear. It all depends on the neighboring sites.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I don't know which tower was involved. When I set up the TSYS for my radio, I put in the frequencies for the towers with the widest ranges located from Huntington to Thomas (I-64 & I-79), and from Charleston to Flat Top (I-77 WV Turnpike). I also put in the frequencies for the State's mobile transmitter. All totaled, I have 12 sites with a total of 24 frequencies programmed.

I don't know how the State's P25 system really works which is why I put in all of those frequencies. I wanted to make sure I could pick up radio traffic whenever I travel around the state. I have been wondering whether transmissions get repeated across all of the towers, however, because I am sitting in Cross Lanes with a handheld scanner, and I seem to be picking up traffic from Kingwood, WV.

Is it normal to pick up radio transmissions originating from the far side of the state, or is it the result of atmospheric disturbances? My old scanner was an RS PRO-76; my new scanner, which I've had for less than a month, is a GRE PSR-500, so this trunked scanning/digital stuff is completely new to me.

As the other two has already stated with a statewide system you never know what/who you will hear at any given time. Based on what I've been hearing I think a lot of it has to do with radio affiliation (which units/talkgroups are affiliated with particular sites). I've noticed that if a radio is affiliated with a site regardless of which area the TG is from, you hear the traffic. It's also not out of the question to hear some traffic generated by atmospheric conditions.

73s and hope this helps

Chad

wvscanner

Database Admin
I'd like to start a new thread for the SIRN so it could be done yearly and retire the old one for use as reference(If you all want to keep the other thread as it is that is fine too :) )

I agree mike keep the old as a sticky(and the title should read WVSIRN 2013)

It has been granted.

ScanFanWV

Premium Subscriber
Bubba1661 and ab8sn - Thanks for the feedback. I think atmospheric disturbances had something to do with what I was picking up because I definitely heard Kingwood, WV, but I was not getting Huntington even though it's only 40 miles away from me.

I didn't get to play with my scanner this weekend, but on Friday morning I picked up TG 4390 again. They were the first thing I got when I turned on my radio at 7:37 AM.

The first transmission I heard was a guy who said, "I said you got a DB agent on the board...a couple of 'em." At least I think he said "DB" agent. It was some kind of agent.

At 7:50 AM I heard a different guy say "Do you hear me?," and then a woman replied "I do now." The guy went on to say something else, but the signal fell apart and I didn't hear what he said.

At 8:17 AM a guy said, "10-4 Rocky. I copy." Then he, the other guy, and the woman did radio checks.

At 8:28 AM a guy said, "If anyone calls, I have the ____." I couldn't understand the last word.

I think this TG might be a Public Works or Public Service District group. I have heard two different men and one woman so far. Has anyone else picked up anything?