RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

West Virginia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of West Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 6:41 AM

Default Morgan County votes down radio upgrade

Morgan leaders vote down communications system upgrade - journal-news.net
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2014, 6:52 AM

Sounds like some good thought was put into the plan and review all around. Paying for a "minor" upgrade like that over 15 years seems crazy.

I always take things I see and hear in the press with a grain of salt (too many times they just get the details/facts wrong) but if Morgan County can't afford $2.4 million (really $1 million if they get the expected grants), you have to wonder what their plan is moving forward. The must be assuming someone is going to just give them a system.
Old 03-26-2014, 1:08 PM

Not coming full circle to 100% SIRN is a unwise decision on Morgan counties part. Yes we all know that Motorola P25 trunking equipment is way overpriced but to jeopardize first responder and victims safety is a liability waiting to happen. Although some of the news story link information is inaccurate to a degree.
Old 03-26-2014, 9:41 PM

Default Re: Morgan County votes down radio upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Not coming full circle to 100% SIRN is a unwise decision on Morgan counties part. Yes we all know that Motorola P25 trunking equipment is way overpriced but to jeopardize first responder and victims safety is a liability waiting to happen. Although some of the news story link information is inaccurate to a degree.
I believe all participants have the option to use other manufacturers like Kenwood.

I think I remember correctly that Morgan has been struggling for a long time to find something that works well for them. At one point they were using (and probably talked in to) an 800MHz system.

I know some of the users in Berkeley aren't too fond of the statewide system but as a whole I think its great. I agree that it was very unwise for Morgan to not go with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s104 View Post
I believe all participants have the option to use other manufacturers like Kenwood.

I think I remember correctly that Morgan has been struggling for a long time to find something that works well for them. At one point they were using (and probably talked in to) an 800MHz system.

I know some of the users in Berkeley aren't too fond of the statewide system but as a whole I think its great. I agree that it was very unwise for Morgan to not go with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Correct, the Tier 1 approved units for use on the SIRN are:

Mobiles:
Bendix-King KNG-400M
E. F.Johnson 53XX series
Harris Unity XG-100M
Harris M7300
Motorola APX 7500
Motorola APX 6500
Motorola XTL 5000
Motorola XTL 2500

Portables:
Bendix-King KNG-P400
E.F.Johnson 51XX series
Harris Unity XG-100
Harris P7300
Kenwood TK-5310
Motorola APX 4000
Motorola APX 6000
Motorola APX 7000
Motorola XTS 2500
Motorola XTS 5000
Motorola SRX 2200

There are a few other listed such as Tait, MaCom and Thales but with limited areas of operation.
Sponsored links