1095 being shown at CES2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say.
I like the key layout better on the mobile/base version over the handheld..

Im curious how long before they produce a GPS Loc-Based version..

SCPD

QRT
Sadly I am pretty sure that it will not have the only feature I like on the Uniden 436HP, the ability to see the radio id on the audio playback on the scanner. It would be a very easy add .. but I am not so sure that there is room on the screen.

The 1095 could really have been improved with a bigger screen with the ability to have more data displayed. But I am sure it is the way that it is cause of the design of the PSR900.

troymail

Silent Key
The 1095 could really have been improved with a bigger screen with the ability to have more data displayed. But I am sure it is the way that it is cause of the design of the PSR900.

Assuming the display is similar to the 1080, at least some of us will be able to read the data on the screen without a magnifying glass (or at least reading glasses).

:lol:

Uniden has proven that just because there might be a bigger screen it doesn't translate into a useful display (when you cram so much small text on the screen simultaneously - and with no real user control over any of it).

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Assuming the display is similar to the 1080, at least some of us will be able to read the data on the screen without a magnifying glass (or at least reading glasses).

:lol:

Uniden has proven that just because there might be a bigger screen it doesn't translate into a useful display (when you cram so much small text on the screen simultaneously - and with no real user control over any of it).

icarus1963

Premium Subscriber
I think what is most disappointing is that there is still no signs of support for DMR or NXDN. Most of the local utilities and some fire rescue in my area are switching to these "other" digital formats. Without these additions, upgrading my scanner is not worth it.

N8IAA

I think what is most disappointing is that there is still no signs of support for DMR or NXDN. Most of the local utilities and some fire rescue in my area are switching to these "other" digital formats. Without these additions, upgrading my scanner is not worth it.

Remember, these are just the rebranded GRE scanners. Buried somewhere in these discussions, are mentions of new scanners that are not rebranded.
You just need to search.
Larry

troymail

Silent Key
I'm very hopeful that our support in the purchase of these new Whistler units will translate down the road into the "next" radio that is all Whistler....with lots of new features. We know that for now they need to recoup the cost of the acquisition of the GRE product line to fund those new initiatives.

We need the competitive nature of more than one scanner vendor/source!

SCPD

QRT

This is a major reason why I sold my 436HP, it was just so poorly designed except for a couple of good features. That in itself does not make a great scanner. So .. this is why I am awaiting the 1095.

That is one thing I love about the PSR800 .. I can read it. The Whistler 1095 I am sure will be the same. For that .. thanks Whistler. And yes, Uniden did really mess up the display on the 436HP in particular.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What people are forgetting is KENWOOD NXDN and MOTOROLA MOTOTRBO DMR are not open source and they will not release the rights to decode these formats and the scanner makers do not want in lawsuits. Until these radio makers release rights they are off limits for scanners. It is not Unidens, GRE, Whistlers fault they wish they could sell them. We would all buy them.

SCPD

QRT
There's always dsd and the likes for those. Sucks not to have a portable scanner but least home wise it would be better then nothing. If one was smart enough aside legality of it you could use a laptop in your vehicle then relay the output audio over a low power freq heck event a kids walkie talkie would work for close scanning near your car our outside home away from desktop like a mobile extender. Seen a couple do this before but they had all the stuff just laying around and made a handy project. Not sure on the specs though. But they managed it to hear what dsd decoded in nxdn. Obviously no control over what is scanned or priority unless you pick on the computer. But better then nothing. As for what they used to receive on a low power freq I have no clue. Heck it prob be simpler to just use a baby monitor one putting it out by the speaker and one carrying the receiver. Seen those modified to not look like a baby monitor one modified in a old brick /\/\ housing.

garys

Premium Subscriber
When the PSR 900 was first announced, I was waiting for it to be released because I really liked the PSR800 I had as a loaner from a friend. Then of course, GRE America went paws up.

Now, it's what, two years later? The Whistler version is about to be released, but it's already almost outdated. I wouldn't expect any totally new Whistler designs for two years and would be surprised if one came out before then. It could happen, but the finances don't seem to make sense.

As to MotoTrbo it's not open source, but I believe DMR is an open standard and that the Motorola features could be reverse engineered without copyright infringement. Remember that the original Motorola and EDACS systems were proprietary and dedicated hobbyists reverse engineered them.

At least that's my non lawyer and non software engineer opinion. After all, a number of companies managed to duplicate the IBM PC without running afoul of their lawyers.

Time will tell.

RadioSquad

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I understand that we all want and want it now. But the reality of scanners is that its not a big money maker anymore for corporations to make these radios the way we want them. With more and more cities and counties locking down their comms it will be harder for scanner makers to want to dive in and try to make big bucks on these radios.

But I do give credit for Whistler to at least get these old designs of this GRE PSR 900 and re brand it and get it on the market within a couple of months. I am sure going to buy one.

The P25 digital decode on these radios are the best in the market. I know it might lack some features but it will have hopefully P25 Phase I and II and the RR database to download as well as a detachable face. But the price point will be at or around 500 bucks which is reasonable. I love my WS-1065 and just keep wanting more radios from this company. At least they are not rushing out these radios and having hardware and design flaws. Hopefully they have this under control through their quality control center.

nexcool

What people are forgetting is KENWOOD NXDN and MOTOROLA MOTOTRBO DMR are not open source and they will not release the rights to decode these formats and the scanner makers do not want in lawsuits. Until these radio makers release rights they are off limits for scanners. It is not Unidens, GRE, Whistlers fault they wish they could sell them. We would all buy them.

That's not entirely correct, there are some features that are enhanced by some manufactures and those are copyright features, but the format is licensed to them too. These formats are actually owned by DVSI. DVSI Home Page. It depends on the chip that you put into the radio and that equals dollars.

AOR is releasing a multi standard with several different modulation types receiver. It's called AR-DV1. Check it out, it gives you those features that most are looking for. Its not going to be cheap, but what we want is coming to the market and others are following to. AOR AR-DV1 Specifications

Its more of a profit margin vs. a copyright thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.