WS1080: rechargable batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
So from what i gather its not a good idea to have the usb wire plugged into scanner when the batteries are in it cause it will cause damage . Ive done it a couple times i like how the backlight stays on when its plugged in . whats everyones thoughts on this

Ed6698

I run mine by USB plugged in every so often, however I have it set in EZScan Charge Hours to Disable in the Battery Charge Option in the Advanced Feature tab.

Last edited:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Ed6698 if i disable it in battery charge option it will never charge the batteries in the unit when the usb is plugged into power ?

AtlasFBG2

Ed6698 if i disable it in battery charge option it will never charge the batteries in the unit when the usb is plugged into power ?

That is correct. If you set it to 00 instead of the default setting of 99 it disables the charger.

I have mine set to 24. I have had it plugged in 24/7 for over a month now.

The charger only charges at 12-14ma so it is hard to even get a full charge let alone a overcharge.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Ok i shut mine off completely cause i charge my batteries in an external charger. Much faster.

KE0GXN

You definitely do not want to charge your batteries in the scanner. It can lead to disastrous results. You will have some folks that do it and say they never had any issues so far... but in my opinion the key words being "so far."

First, why take the chance with a $400-600 dollar investment. When you can get a decent "smart" battery charger for $30 or so dollars.

Secondly, you will prolong the life and condition of your batteries by using a smart battery charger to condition, analyze and charge them in.

Thirdly, a smart battery charger will at a minimum give you another toy to play with. :)

SCPD

QRT
I wouldn't charge the batteries in the scanner. Rather be safe than sorry.

The best advice ever said .. charging is best done outside the scanner.

Myself I run my PSR800 on USB 24/7 .. never with batteries in the unit.

I have even accidentally killed the power .. and have yet to corrupt the card.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
but from what i gather if you go into advanced settings in the software and goto Battery charge option and make it disabled you can have the batteries in the unit but the usb plugged in will not charge the batteries. Is that correct ?

SCPD

QRT
but from what i gather if you go into advanced settings in the software and goto Battery charge option and make it disabled you can have the batteries in the unit but the usb plugged in will not charge the batteries. Is that correct ?

Don't know .. I am sure that someone can answer your question though.

Ed6698

It will not charge the batteries with Battery Charge Option set to Disable.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
Battery Tracking

Don't know if it's been posted here before, but a suggestion: mark your batteries with a sharpie with the purchased date and if they are part of a set. It might help avoid confusion later if you have more than one set.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I agree!

Don't know if it's been posted here before, but a suggestion: mark your batteries with a sharpie with the purchased date and if they are part of a set. It might help avoid confusion later if you have more than one set.

That's a good idea!

I do this with my rechargeable batteries so that my sets don't get mixed up.

Keeping the batteries that I bought on a certain date together just seems like a good thing to do.

I don't know that it's necessary, but it can't hurt.

Russell :)

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
i emailed whistler and they got right back to me great customer support . If you disable the battery charge option in the software when usb is plugged in it will NOT charge the batteries when batteroes are still in it . But will keep the backlight on which i like . so no need to take batteries out of scanner .

Bearcatman911

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No

So from what i gather its not a good idea to have the usb wire plugged into scanner when the batteries are in it cause it will cause damage . Ive done it a couple times i like how the backlight stays on when its plugged in . whats everyones thoughts on this

The scanner has a charging circuit although a few mishaps have happened and I personally recharge my batteries out of the scanners, your scanner won't blow up if you charge them in or use the scanner with the batteries in it.Beats is to have a few sets of quality batteries and a good charger like a powerex or maha..actually the same company.you can condition your batteries and you'll get much longer life from them. Also use powerex or eneloop batteries none better made for scanner use.

KE0GXN

^What he said

Best bet is to charge outside the scanner. Also I have done some recent battery and battery charger research and it is true Eneloops, Duracell Ion Core, Amazon Basics and Powerex batteries are the way to go in our applications.

Check out my battery thread and charger thread for some good feedback from members on here. Also if you want more in depth info, I would check out the Candle Power forums, those guys are serious about everything batteries.

Happy scanning!

Bearcatman911

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
YES

Best bet is to charge outside the scanner. Also I have done some recent battery and battery charger research and it is true Eneloops, Duracell Ion Core, Amazon Basics and Powerex batteries are the way to go in our applications.

Check out my battery thread and charger thread for some good feedback from members on here. Also if you want more in depth info, I would check out the Candle Power forums, those guys are serious about everything batteries.

Happy scanning!

Pay attention to this guy he knows batteries

safetyobc

I don't like charging in the scanner. Too much risk involved if a cell bursts or something goes wrong. I use the MAHA CH9000 charger and have for years. It is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.