WS1080 Driver Problem Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hth999

I am at my wits end. I cannot get the driver loaded for my new Win7 laptop. I originally had an old Win XP machine that worked great with the EZ software, but I cannot load the driver in Win 7. It is loaded as an " unknown device " I have tried everything, including downloading the driver from the Whistler site. I also called Whistler, and have left 2 messages to call me back - they never call back!! They are probably fed up with the driver situation like I am.
If I cannot get the driver loaded I am going to sell it. No sense in keeping it. That goes for my 1095. I am fed up with Whistler.

Any idea's? I also would sell both the 1080 and 1095 as a pair. They are in perfect condition, not a scratch on them. They just wont work with Win 7. I would take 500.00 for both. any interested parties contact me at:

halhermanns AT yahoo dot com

Ed6698

When you state you have tried everything to resolve the issue, can you specify what you have tried. Have you installed the inf file by bypassing the digitally signed driver prompt in Windows?

Whistler has on their website the solution to this problem, it says it is for Win 8, however I do believe the solution works for Win 7 also.

coolbass

Premium Subscriber
Same problem

I've got the same issue. Win 7 automatically loads what it thinks is the correct driver, but as you found out it gets loaded as an "Unknown device". At first I thought the USB port on the radio was bad and tried t-shooting it over the phone with a tech at Whistler. He came to the same conclusion and had me send it back under warranty repair. A few weeks later I received it back and SAME PROBLEM! I found a workaround that does work - it involves going into gpedit.msc and preventing Windows from automatically loading drivers. You can search for this method on-line - it's not an uncommon problem. It's a pain but does work temporarily - at least so you can read and/or write to the scanner. As soon as the scanner is disconnected the correct driver is forgotten and you have to go through the same process again. I'll be getting an external SD card reader/writer to deal with this issue once and for all. It's too bad because the radio itself (WS-1095) is an excellent radio - just the USB interface is an incredibly poor design. Wish it was more like my BCD-996T in that regard.

hth999

I have installed the ini file on my desktop, but don't know how to bypass the install prompt. If whistler has a solution to there problem, then I can't find it . I have been on their website, and have never seen anything about how to fix a driver problem. Can yopu point me in the right direction?

Ed6698

When restarting Win 7 press the F8 button and it will bring up in a menu to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement. This procedure with the inf only needs to be done once.

The rest of the procedure is under FAQS, Scanner FAQS on Whistlers website.

hth999

I'm saying goodbye to Whistler

I have tried these instructions. I guess I am doing something wrong. I don't understand why we have to jump thru hoops to get Whistler products to work. They dont even call you back when you ask for help. I am going to put my 1095 and 1080 back in their boxes and sell them on Ebay. I'll use my Uniden 536 and 436, at least they work!
I am not a computer IT guy, but I have enough knowledge. I have sucessfully installed several other types of software that work great for the GRE 500, WS1065, WS1040, Uniden 436, 536 and Uniden 396. All the software I have works great.
( Win500, ARC500 Pro, Freescan, Uniden 536 and 436

I will never buy another Whistler product again. Case closed.

Ed6698

Such a simple problem to correct. You even stated you did not know how to do the unsigned driver bypass. All it is pressing one button upon startup. This issue is actually not a Whistler issue, it is a Windows issue. If I needed more scanners I would buy them both.

larry308

I have both the WS-1080 and WS-1088, I'm running both of them on Windows 7 with no problem. I'm using the downloaded software , with the latest update. Sorry your having problems, I feel the same way about Uniden.

hth999

if it's so simple your calling me stupid. I can assure you I am not stupid. Why do all my other scanners get recognized properly? Why do all my other scanners drivers work? Why does all the other software work?

EZ scan? Is that what they call it? Not so EZ. Whistler will be out of business in a few years, you can count on it. Better sell now, while you can.

Ed6698

if it's so simple your calling me stupid. I can assure you I am not stupid. Why do all my other scanners get recognized properly? Why do all my other scanners drivers work? Why does all the other software work?

EZ scan? Is that what they call it? Not so EZ. Whistler will be out of business in a few years, you can count on it. Better sell now, while you can.

Pressing F8 upon startup is simple, but since it does not seem you came here for help I can no longer be of assistance.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Are you really going to sell those?

Did you try calling Microsoft?

If you really can't figure it out, maybe someone will remote desktop.

Using a card reader is much better and faster, especially if you have lots of recordings or every scan list full.

If you think you have problems with Windows 7, don't upgrade to Windows 10. It took me all night to correct all of the statist control Microsoft implemented on their newest operating system.

There's literally a thread about this at the top of the topic: http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/317662-whistler-scanners-windows-10-a.html There's more threads about this too, probably some specific to Win7.

You need to go to device manager. Find the correct "unknown device." Uninstall the driver. Then do a custom driver install and point to where you saved the Whistler file. I'm not sure why they wanted you to send the scanner back -- it's very unlikely to be a scanner issue. Basically, Microsoft is trying to dumb everything down, which isn't good for those of us who do more than Facebook and Skype, or whatever the heck most people do on their computers.

SCPD

QRT
-- it's very unlikely to be a scanner issue.

Being an IT guy for 20+ years .. you are correct on that one.

Many people have installed those scanners on Windows 7 and newer without issue. It is a computer issue not the scanners but a good deal if someone wants some scanners. ;);)

But after the rant and the fact that I do not want more scanners at any price .. I am just not willing to help someone that is best left in the corner to sulk for a while.

hth999

I can uninstall the driver, but I dont know how to do a custom install. I also pressed F8 upon startup and did disable the driver enforcement, but I am still right back where I started. If I go to device manager, and expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers, there is still the " Unknown Device " Still can't update the driver. Windows still says it's the most up to date driver. What else is there to do?

I followed the instructions number by number, and a lot don't work with win 7. I can't figure it out, so I have to sell it. I have spent several hrs on this, and it simply does not work. I dont have enough knowledge with win 7. I guess it's that simple.

Whistler products sound so much better than Uniden, but I can't get this to work. I have uninstalled the EZ software 3 times and started over. I don't have a clue what to do. Thanks for some of you trying to help but I can't figure it out.

If anyone wants a 1080 and 1095 in mint new condition let me know. 500 for the pair.

halhermanns AT yahoo DOT com

hth999

ouch that hurt.....well if you worked 4 hrs on this, I don't think you would be in the most pleasant of moods either. 500 dollars for a scanner and it should work flawlessly. I have many other scanners that work without issue.

SCPD

QRT
Just a hint and cause I am a nice guy ... go to the computer store and buy a SD / microSD card reader for like $10. Or use your computer one if you have one available. You do not need to connect your scanners to the computer via USB for any reason other than firmware updates. And really .. those scanners likely do not need any updates.

They will work perfectly fine with no USB connection, in fact my 1095 is never USB connected.

Then you can use your scanners .. until you cool down a bit on the rants so that you can look at this again. And maybe if you relax, someone may be more likely to want to help you out.

Last edited:

hth999

Thanks to all who tried to help.......

Thanks for all who tried to help, but it's a no go. I've spent too many hrs trying to get this to work. I deleted the EZ software for the last time, and deleted the " unknown driver " . If anyone want the pair let me know, I will be willing to sell them. If I get no response, I'll use Ebay.

Perhaps someone here might want one of these units. They are in mint condition. When the EZ scan software was installed on my XP machine, everything worked flawlessly, never a problem.

I am a MAC guy, always have been, but bought a PC ( more software options for scanners and SDR's ) because my XP backup machine, which was 10 yrs old just stopped working. I thought Win 7 was the way to go, so far, Win 7 has been great except for Whistler software.

Regarding the card, I have a card reader on this win7 laptop, but I don't know how to use that either. I'm getting too old for this, I can't keep up with the technology.

SCPD

QRT
Regarding the card, I have a card reader on this win7 laptop, but I don't know how to use that either. I'm getting too old for this, I can't keep up with the technology.

Pull SD / microSD card out of scanner and put it in the SD card slot (it will give it a drive letter) .. and program.

If you have issues .. read the help file in the Whistler software or the scanner manual. I would recommend you read both .. being challenged with technology.

The microSD card likely came with an adapter to use in a full size SD card slot.

You can program directly to that SD card via that SD card slot. So install the Whistler software .. that is not the issue and program your scanners.

I think that should get you started. Just a hint .. people are likely to be more likely to help you if you tone it down and stop ranting. :wink::wink:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Does that $500 bundle include the computer too?

Okay... I am on my Windows 7 laptop now, so I can get you exact instructions. By the way, the scanner and software work for me on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. It worked flawlessly without any tweaking on Windows 7 for me; on my desktop, I did have to fuss with it a bit.

The software and driver are not the same. You can reinstall the software 100 times, your problem probably won't be solved. By the way, it seems like most of your problem is your computer. Maybe sell that and buy a different computer instead?

Steps:
  • Control Panel -> Device Manager (if you can't find it, change the control panel view to "small icons"
  • Find your device, likely under Universal Serial Bus controllers
  • Go to the Driver tab
  • At the bottom, click "Uninstall"
  • After it uninstalls, go to "Update Driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software' -> find the driver file you downloaded from Whistler and install it.

I'm actually using the driver Windows install, which was for a mass storage device, and my scanner communicates perfectly on this computer.

What USB cable are you using? Lower quality USB cables can cause problems. Some of my cheaper cables will not work with my scanner or other devices.

Sometimes USB 3.0 causes problems (I use mine on USB 3.0 with no problems). Try plugging into a USB port that is not blue.

Take a breath. Use Google and this forum to help you out. There are a lot of threads regarding connection issues like you have. Screenshots would be useful if you still can't get it to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.