TRX-1 and TRX-2 Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Will the new Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 have the remote control interface protocol (RCIP) so the scanners can be controlled by software?

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I even sent Whistler the question, but they have not return any answer.

gwbaker

Scanner Control software

I met Wendy, the marketing director, at the Dayton Hamvention where Whistler made the official announcement about the pending arrival of the Whistler TRX-1 and 2. The previous day, before meeting Wendy, I had decided to buy the Uniden BCD436HP scanner because Uniden had announced DMR and MotoTRBO support forthcoming (although you had to pay $50 for it). But, I liked the idea of computer control of the scanner and the ability to stream it over the internet which I was told Whistler could not do (by another vendor at Hamvention).

I was all set to buy the Uniden when I dropped by the Whister booth. Wendy told me about the TRX-1 and the pending DMR and MotoTRBO updates along with an NXDN update in the works. She also stated that all of the updates would continue to be free.

Okay, I am intrigued, but what about computer control I asked... Wendy repeated a couple of times that "I cannot speak about anything that is not on the [display] table. However, in her body language, she was clearly sending a message that it was coming.

So, to me that says something is in the works. BUT She cannot officially say anything about it. So I would suggest being patient (I know, it is hard for me too). But, you should quit asking her and the others for an official and IN WRITING statement, because she is clearly not allowed to do it.

Bill

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
If they don't want to answer questions, they don't have to sell radios...

gwbaker

Then don't

If they don't want to answer questions, they don't have to sell radios...

I was simply trying to offer some insight. It was clear that Wendy wanted to say something, but she could not. But, as you suggest, go buy something else and quit wasting time complaining and get one with getting over it.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I am not complaining, just trying to obtain information which will lead me to buy or not to buy a scanner.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If you have any knowledge of business at all you know that there are times you can speak and times you cannot; times you can share information and times it must be kept "under wraps" until deemed appropriate to share ("the release"). This is just normal business. If it drives you away from buying a product then OK, but everyone does it so you would end up "moving on" until you were out of options.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Sure, no one has to buy any of these consumer scanners. And there are other avenues one can take, depending on his interests:

• Get the agencies you like to monitor to provide their own streams
  • Purchase a professional radio, or, if you are really lucky, get your local agency to loan you a subscriber unit
  • Buy a few $10 SDRs and download some free software, achieving much better decoding than the consumer scanners
Just because something is "normal," doesn't make it right. We would all be better off if the competitive market spurred constant innovation rather than corporate secrecy and clever marketing. I'd say Uniden won the last battle of playing the secrecy game by getting people to pre-purchase an upgrade Whistler is offering for free. Whistler's secrecy likely caused them to miss out on some scanner market share. I assume their rapid response in releasing their new product was moving pretty fast for the corporation as well, considering all the layers of approval and corporate bureaucracy most individuals face. Too bad, for them, they weren't able to counter within minutes of the other company.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I met Wendy, the marketing director, at the Dayton Hamvention where Whistler made the official announcement about the pending arrival of the Whistler TRX-1 and 2. The previous day, before meeting Wendy, I had decided to buy the Uniden BCD436HP scanner because Uniden had announced DMR and MotoTRBO support forthcoming (although you had to pay $50 for it). But, I liked the idea of computer control of the scanner and the ability to stream it over the internet which I was told Whistler could not do (by another vendor at Hamvention).

I was all set to buy the Uniden when I dropped by the Whister booth. Wendy told me about the TRX-1 and the pending DMR and MotoTRBO updates along with an NXDN update in the works. She also stated that all of the updates would continue to be free.

Okay, I am intrigued, but what about computer control I asked... Wendy repeated a couple of times that "I cannot speak about anything that is not on the [display] table. However, in her body language, she was clearly sending a message that it was coming.

So, to me that says something is in the works. BUT She cannot officially say anything about it. So I would suggest being patient (I know, it is hard for me too). But, you should quit asking her and the others for an official and IN WRITING statement, because she is clearly not allowed to do it.

Bill
Hello,

I find the comments interesting since the TRX-1 and TRX-2 are on the table and they announced a future NXDN update. It could be that they are planning a remote control app and are not ready to announce it. Maybe there was a misunderstanding of the question.

73 Eric

gwbaker

Hello,

I find the comments interesting since the TRX-1 and TRX-2 are on the table and they announced a future NXDN update. It could be that they are planning a remote control app and are not ready to announce it. Maybe there was a misunderstanding of the question.

73 Eric

No misunderstanding... I must not have stated it well enough. When I specifically asked about computer software to control the scanner and possibly stream audio was when Wendy made the comment about only speaking of things "on the [display] table." Then her body language suggested something is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.