Whistler TRX-2 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Overall the scanner is pretty nice. I think the internals are exactly the same as the WS-1095 but added the FPP. By listening to the radio and programming it feels the same. But with the added DMR and the NXDN coming soon the TRX-2 is a good radio to add to your tool box. The digital decode for P25 is the best out there on the market but VHF low band has some issues. For some reason I keep my squelch set at 3 when I scan a trunking system.

IF I turn on my scanlist for VHF low band then I need to set my squelch then to 9 so the carrier does not open up. On other scanner radios like the Uniden this does not happen. I do not need to set the squelch. But I do like how Whistler packaged the radio up nice in a pretty box and I noticed the faceplate came with a nice soft case to carry it so it does not get damaged. Also, the radio package came with a manual that is always a nice feature. I am impressed how Whistler has put the speaker on top of the scanner instead of the bottom.

One thing I always do with my scanners is that I add a VERTEX MLS-100 external speaker to all of my scanners since I like a good quality speaker when listening. I use some good high grade double sided tape and stick the speaker and the mount to the top of the radio. Makes listening really enjoyable.

So overall I do like the TRX-2 so far. Had some issues with the software and the upgrade of the firmware. I feel sorry for the not so technical people trying to get this scanner working out of the box if things get corrupted with the SD-CARD. For some reason I am not sure why Whistler has not figured out how to get the EZ-SCAN software stuff figured out and speeded up the transfer process from the computer to the scanner with the USB cable. I always just take the SD-CARD out and program it directly thru the SD port on my laptop since it’s really fast. This is a known issue that I have always faced. This scanner will just be another tool added to my shed. I use my Uniden BCD996P2 for features that I like and then switch over to the TRX-2 for the things I enjoy too. If you have the ability to buy a stable of different scanners then you won’t be dis-appointed. All scanner companies have their positive and minus when it comes to their builds that I have noticed throughout the years.

Good Luck on your purchase. Looking forward to NXDN with the FREE upgrade. Worth it.

pfdradio

Premium Subscriber
Does the TRX-2 turn on with the ignition or does it have to manually be turned on each time?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It has to be turned on manually. This scanner also has a learning curve. Push and hold the power button then the screen says release power button and the scanner powers up. TRUST ME IF YOU BUY THIS SCANNER (IT IS A GOOD SCANNER)
1st READ THE MANUAL
2nd MAKE A BACKUP OF THE SD CARD
3rd DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL SOFTWARE
4th UP DATE COMPUTER SOFTWARE
5th CONNECT TO THE SCANNER WITH POWER OFF WAIT FOR ALL DRIVERS TO INSTALL UP TO 60 SECONDS
6th UPDATE SCANNER FIRMWARE
7th ENJOY YOUR NEW SCANNER.

rwier

It has to be turned on manually. This scanner also has a learning curve. Push and hold the power button then the screen says release power button and the scanner powers up. TRUST ME IF YOU BUY THIS SCANNER (IT IS A GOOD SCANNER)
1st READ THE MANUAL
5th CONNECT TO THE SCANNER WITH POWER OFF WAIT FOR ALL DRIVERS TO INSTALL UP TO 60 SECONDS

RR, please do whatever it's called so potential future purchasers can readily retrieve this post. I've saved the link to my Scanner Folder on the Bookmark Bar. Thanks Bud! Hi Steve.

SOFA_KING

I just did some TRX-2 weak signal testing on VHF HI band for FM Broadcast overload on the receiver front end.

Conclusion?

NO MORE FM BROADCAST OVERLOAD ISSUE WITH THE NEW TRX-2 ON VHF HI BAND.

Weakest (barely audible) WX station received just as well on my outdoor discone antenna with, or without, the FM filter in-line. I live a mile from an FM broadcast tower, so that is saying something! Other older designed GRE/Whistler scanners would have been wiped out on all WX stations except the local one near town, and that would have been slightly degraded with white noise. THANK YOU Whistler for addressing this issue!

I will keep my Stridsberg FLT201A FM Notch Filter on the input to my Stridsberg multicoupler for my older GRE/Whistler scanners, but you no longer need one for the TRX-2. Can't say anything about the TRX-1, but I would bet it was also improved for this long overdue issue.

Phil

SOFA_KING

One more note about the TRX-2...

Wow! The digital audio sounds so good on this scanner! Analog is good too, but AGC is doing wonders for digital. DMR audio never sounded so good. AGC must be making the difference on DMR, as my /\/\ gear has none.

I never expected DMR to be capable of sounding this good. I would rather listen to DMR on the TRX-2 than any other radio I have heard, and I have heard many. The 536 and 436 sound bass heavy and lack the top end clarity. This radio SOUNDS GOOD.

Phil

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Phil just echoed my comments about TRX-2 that I have posted on another thread. Same experience here in radio-jungle Los Angeles. Compared to previous 1095, this TRX-2 seems to have a great front end that requires no filtering. Weakest WX station also heard here without any filtering. Great sensitivity.
P25 and DMR audio superb. I have YouTube videos (posted on previous thread) of both P25 and DMR here in LA. Whistler seems to have done great with these new scanners.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I want to add that the reception and audio quality on the AM Aircraft Band is SUPERBLY AMAZING! Even with the stock rubber duckie antenna.

SOFA_KING

Roger that, Steve. I watched your videos, and it pushed me to place the order. YOU are to blame! :D

I like it, but now I'm trying to optimize the digital settings. What are the settings you are finding work best? I still think I have too much Donald-Ducking on 2 bar signals. And to make things even weirder, the scanner keeps going back to ADC -2 and DAC -6 when -2 is the max you can adjust either in software and on the radio. I did import my WS1080 custom conventional channel lists through the TRX-2 software, so maybe that is why it keeps going back to these numbers. But even when I save it to +0 and +0, it keeps going back to -2 and -6.

And DSP Level Adapt setting of 64 may not be best. It takes too much time to lock onto P25 digital. I think 74 is doing better, but I need more time with weak signals to test this setting. I have to wait for the morning band openings when everyone goes 10-8 at work.

Phil

SOFA_KING

Hi Dan. I actually did. The original 4GB SD card was never used, as I started with a 32GB card using the files copied off of the 4GB card. So I went back to the 4GB card and checked the defaults for the digital settings. All was 64 +0 +0. The -2 -6 values must be stuck in the CDAT profile, but even though I changed them and saved a fresh CDAT profile, it still will load the -2 -6 values.

No big deal to go in and set them where I want them. I don't load data from the software that often. Now the question is what values work best to decode weak signals. At the moment I'm liking 74 better than 64 or 54. But the ADC/DAC values are not easy to experiment with unless I have a P25 signal generator to hear bit errors with a test 1004 Hz tone. I wish I had a test set for that. My weaker signals change with the tropo conditions here in HUMID Florida, and that makes testing harder.

And I hope they fix the conventional DMR bug soon. It won't receive any SLOT 2 traffic here on either my local Motorola or local Hytera repeaters. Not one SLOT 2 transmission with the channel set to ANY slot. Slot 1 is no problem. Sounds great. DMR Simplex works too, but I think it needs a strong signal.

Phil

PS - Steve, the invoice is in the mail! :D

greggk

Premium Subscriber
As silly as this sounds, I do NOT want to screw up my new TRX2. I was able to unbox it last night and already hit a snag..dumb as it may sound.

When I removed it, I was shocked to see how small it was compared to my 996T. My 996T is the only base station I own, and its quite old...and larger.

The problem: It had a plastic tab to pull over the front screen, but when I pulled the tab it broke/tore off. So I know there is a screen saver over the front; however, is has some type of a tight, plastic looking wrap all over the top and sides. I guess nothing has to be removed right now before using it, but this will drive me CRAZY until I resolve it.

Do I just remove that front plastic protector, or does ALL that tightly wrapped plastic come off? Help me from being admitted at my local mental health hospital. THANKS. Greg

del1964

Premium Subscriber
1st READ THE MANUAL

What's the best way to back up the SD Card.....just copy all contents to a folder on computer? And if the card gets corrupted, What's the best way to re-format it (inside the scanner) and re-install the original data?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone with a TRX-2 confirm whether or not the audio has a hiss on analog or digital when receiving? My TRX-1 has this pretty bad, and it would be nice to know before purchasing a substantial amount of these mobile units. :)

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.