WS1040: No Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiro71

Premium Subscriber

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Try going to the 'TSYS Object' tab, click on the 'Trunking Tables' button on the right side for your system that you programed, and select the '800 MHz "Rebanded"' band plan. Maybe the tables did not get set correctly when you imported the system.

kiro71

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I tried that, but still get static on all talkgroups for KCERS MOT 800/900 system.

kiro71

Premium Subscriber
Shouldn't I see a `T` icon on display, indicating the scanner is receiving Trunking Control Data?

I do NOT see `T`, I see "G A S" or "G S". ATT doesn't help.

I have the Squelch turned to 0.

Spitfire8520

Shouldn't I see a `T` icon on display, indicating the scanner is receiving Trunking Control Data?

I do NOT see `T`, I see "G A S" or "G S". ATT doesn't help.

I have the Squelch turned to 0.

You are correct, you should see a T when getting control channel data. However, it should not be pausing on a talkgroup if it isn't decoding a control channel.

What site are you trying to program? Where are you located in relation to the site?

Are you able to decode the control channel data when you try to analyze or TUNE to it? To analyze, manually go to any of the TG, press F2 (TSYS), then F3 (Analyz). Arrow through to see if it receives a control channel.

kiro71

Premium Subscriber
I pressed F3(Analyze) for the first talkgroup the scanner found.

Paging through the list of channels, it reports 97% for both Channel 8, and Channel 12, and the frequencies that correspond to the primary control channels of Site 003 and Site 006 for the KCERS system.

Other channels, it doesn't report. This TSYS has lots of repeater sites, and I may be out of range of most of them.

Reference for this TSYS:
Seattle-King County Public Safety (KCERS) Trunking System, Seattle, Washington - Scanner Frequencies

I am within reasonable range of both sites to receive audio. But, listening to any of those talkgroups, all I get is static, and no audio at all.

In Win500, I have that TSYS set to `MOT 800/900`. Radioreference lists it as a `Motorola Smartzone 2`. Do I have the TSYS type set correctly?

I think its right, but I tried MOT VHF/UHF and LTR just in case.

kiro71

Premium Subscriber
They are going to migrate KCERS TSYS to P-25. I don't know if that has started, but I know it is not finished (could be a few years even).

I don't know the migration plan. I doubt they would just switch off the old and switch on the new in 1 day.

Maybe they have modified their existing Motorola Smartzone 2 system to interoperate with both and maybe that has caused a problem?

Spitfire8520

I am within reasonable range of both sites to receive audio. But, listening to any of those talkgroups, all I get is static, and no audio at all.

In Win500, I have that TSYS set to `MOT 800/900`. Radioreference lists it as a `Motorola Smartzone 2`. Do I have the TSYS type set correctly?

I think its right, but I tried MOT VHF/UHF and LTR just in case.

Yes, it should be a MOT 800/900 system. To me, it pretty much sounds like a trunking table issue.

I just noticed I forgot to mention that you may need to set the 'Trunking Tables' drop down menu in the TSYS tab to 'Custom' when you apply the rebanded table. You also want to turn your squelch up so that it doesn't stay on a channel if there is no signal.

As another question, when it pauses on a talkgroup with static, what does the 3rd line (2nd text line) say? It should say VC and then a frequency.

Edited: Also, verify that 'Fleet Map' is set to 'Type-II'.

Last edited:

RBMTS

I have to agree with Spitfire8520. Your problem sounds as if you have not set the rebanding tables correctly.

I would suggest you perform a global reset of your scanner. Then try to manually create the system using just the 4 control channels of the site you are trying to monitor (don't download). Don't input any talk groups - instead have a wildcard setup so as to see if you can monitor all talk groups on that site. Make sure to set the system as custom rebanded or manually input the tables.

I'm sure there is someone with a Whistler or GRE equal that can send you a copy of their programming file that you can import into your scanner.

The King County / Seattle system has not started the move to P25 yet so make sure you are creating the system as a standard MOT 800/900 system.

kiro71

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @Spitfire8520 it works now!

The fixes(in Win500):
1. Click `Trunking Tables` button for the TSYS and choose `800/900 rebanded`
2. AND Select `Trunking Tables` drop down and set to `Custom`

Thanks @RBMTS - I didn't try your idea of just the control channels, because now it just works for all my talkgroups.

I have attached my Win500 file, for anyone else with a WS1040 or similar. Hope that helps.

(Renamed .p500 extension to .txt so I can upload it here ; rename it back for Win500 to see it)

I was about to give up on this WS1040, but now it works perfectly, Thanks!.

Attachments

• 4.txt
    23.9 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.