TRX-1 programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Am I imagining things, or is the programming software for the TRX-1 really retarded and stupid?

Question........is there any way to rearrange, move up down etc, the talkgroups imported from Radio Reference DB? I cannot seem to figure out how to do this, and the help button is worthless as well.

Other question, is there any aftermarket programming software for this thing yet?

Being STUCK with Radio Reference db programming is like using someone elses scanner........someone that you think is sort of "slow". :)

Paul

troymail

Silent Key
Am I imagining things, or is the programming software for the TRX-1 really retarded and stupid?

Question........is there any way to rearrange, move up down etc, the talkgroups imported from Radio Reference DB? I cannot seem to figure out how to do this, and the help button is worthless as well.

Other question, is there any aftermarket programming software for this thing yet?

Being STUCK with Radio Reference db programming is like using someone elses scanner........someone that you think is sort of "slow". :)

Paul

The software does take a bit of getting used to - particularly if you've used other software in the past. However, over time, like many things, it becomes easier to use. Of course, it depends on hat you are trying to do. I've been using the software for many years - since the release of the PSR-800 (2011?).

FWIW - years ago I bought a Uniden 296 (the one with the optional/removable P25 card). It came with some Uniden programming software that I found so frustrating I almost threw the radio across the room several times. It probably didn't help that I was up until at least midnight that night trying to get the radio working. Sometimes you just need to walk away and come back later....

I also currently use Uniden's Sentinel software to program a 436. That software also has it's quirks. At the same time, both have their good sides as well. As they say, it is what it is and unless you have the ability to write your own, even 3rd party software can be frustrating (and that's after you pay for the additional software!). I've tried Butel's ARC software but that just caused me more frustration as it is just something else to learn and figure out.

As far as moving things up and down - I do not think that is something you can do with the software. Each item is assigned to an object and the objects are inserted into the list of things by the software/system. Having said that, I don't necessarily think that moving things up/down in the list(s) would really make much difference to how the radio works/scans. Depending upon what you are trying to do, you may want to consider either (a) setting some priority frequencies/talkgroups/objects and/or (b) assigning different things to different scanlists (i.e. "fire" channels/talkgroups in scanlist X, "police" i scanlists Y, etc.). As I said, not being sure what you are trying to do, these might not help you. The columns can also be sorted (object # is the default) by clicking on the column headers.

As has been posted - you can also modify object values (except the object number itself) and/or manually enter your own programming as well.

I am more than happy to offer other suggestions if none of this helps. However, I need to better understand what you are tying to accomplish.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
You can move each object to any scanlist you want,have objects in multiple scanlists too if you want.You can add to any scanlist and edit it or remove an object too if you want.Changing order means nothing,so why do it?
An object could be a frequency,talkgroup or whatever.....
If its in the scanner and the object is turned on,its getting scanned,if you want it to go off sooner,set the object on Priority and turn it on.
You have to think Object scanning so everything is an object.Just a tad "different"
When I first got a Whistler/GRE I freaked out and was like OMG,what in the world is this!
Why BUTEL doesnt step up and make software for this,who knows,I beleive WHISTLER made this open source,if not we need to pester them to do so.
I like ARC XT,myself......but thats for Unidens.....

Everyone email Butel,maybe they dont know ......

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The Whistler data is in some obscure format to prevent individuals from exporting the RR database, which is sourced from unpaid volunteers. Funny enough, it's all available online if anyone wanted to "export" it.

I won't rehash all of my posts about EZ Scan, but you can search for them.

What you probably want to do is import "By preferred," and put the objects in scanlists of your choice. Importantly, since you can't export across V-Scanner folders or to other software (i.e. if you have both Whistler and Uniden), it is best to make your scanlists in a master Excel document and import from that. That way, once you want to make something new, you don't have to start over again.

No other programming software is available due to Whistler and Radio Reference. Keep in mind, this is why I no longer contribute to the RR database: I found it to be incredibly foolish to spend my time rewriting information from my scanner to upload online when the very website I was submitting to was the reason I couldn't simply export, copy & paste, and hit submit.

I think scanning should be easy. I am working to fix this. In the meantime, you might find my Quick Import tool useful. Please email me if you need help. I'll even remote connect to help you get it figured out.

Oh, and have you tried calling Whistler customer support about this?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Those of you who don't think channel order are important, are obviously of the "I just want my little toy to make talking noises" variety. Nothing wrong there, but I need to use mine for commercial purposes, and having to scroll through 100 channels to get from Dispatch 1 to Dispatch 2 can be quite an irritation.

I sort of like this EZ Scan, except that I cannot move, copy, or paste anything. I basically have to start from scratch and enter thousands of talkgroup ID's and names etc by hand. Sentinel and Win500 are similarly styled, but include those simple tricks that allow mass importing of RR db objects that you can then mess with.

So, is there a way to copy the RR db as imported into a talkgroup list, past it into a text document, rearrange, then import back into using the EZ Scan software? I guess that would be slightly less troublesome than starting from scratch.

Paul

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
No, you cannot export. You'll have to copy and paste from the website and then go from there.

I, too, share your problems.

There is no quick key function like in Uniden. The only way to get to a channel is to either set it as its own scanlist or browse for it.

The only way you can export is as follows: Make a copy of a V-Scanner folder or archive a V-Scanner file then restore it in a new slot. I use this within different locations in my state. I have a template folder with all of the relevant federal and state entries, so all I have to add are the local frequencies.

They've managed to make a scanner that is too difficult for many (primarily due to connection issues) and too locked down for advanced uses.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, guess what I meant was can I copy (cntr C) a highlighted bunch of talkgroups off of EZ Scan screen, then text edit them into submission, then import that rearrangment text stuff back into EZ Scan?

And you are saying copy and pasting lines from RR website DB will import correctly into EZ Scan, after arranging them in a text document?

Thanks for the assist!

Paul

SCPD

QRT
ezscan

Those of you who don't think channel order are important, are obviously of the "I just want my little toy to make talking noises" variety. Nothing wrong there, but I need to use mine for commercial purposes, and having to scroll through 100 channels to get from Dispatch 1 to Dispatch 2 can be quite an irritation.

I sort of like this EZ Scan, except that I cannot move, copy, or paste anything. I basically have to start from scratch and enter thousands of talkgroup ID's and names etc by hand. Sentinel and Win500 are similarly styled, but include those simple tricks that allow mass importing of RR db objects that you can then mess with.

So, is there a way to copy the RR db as imported into a talkgroup list, past it into a text document, rearrange, then import back into using the EZ Scan software? I guess that would be slightly less troublesome than starting from scratch.

Paul

You cant move stuff?Have you tried the DUPLICATE button in conventional objects and trunked systems?You cant see these unless you put check marks next to the advanced options at the top under ADVANCED,next to HELP. In conventional tab you can import from a Text File,Yeppers!(bottom right button)

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Whistler already released remote control. Yesterday or the day before. So it's a little late to be the first.

The data file format is completely different. Storing data and remote control is two completely separate things. Thanks for the info BuTel. I would certainly buy your version would Whistler allow its development. By the way, I hope you appreciate the Quick Import tool I made for your software; I hope it helps you sell some licenses.

You cannot use copy and paste, CTRL-C or CTRL-V or even CTRL-X for that matter with EZ Scan. It is completely locked down because of Mr. Blanton, the owner of this website. What I am suggesting that you do is build your own scanlists in Excel so that you make order them as you like and then import into EZ Scan. Alternatively, import objects one at a time through the "Preferred" library import function.

As I've said on these forums before, publicly for anyone to research should they want before purchasing the scanner, the worst thing about the Whistlers is the software and connection issues. I'm not sure I have a single complaint about the physical device, but the software is extremely locked down, buggy, unfinished, and generally annoying to the advanced user. Improvements are made only very slowly with lots of pressure applied.

SOFA_KING

The software sucks. Shame, because the scanners are decent.

Funny that I can copy and paste all I want in Sentinel, but not (SL)EZ Scan?

Why is that?

If Whistler expects to compete with Uniden in this market, they need to provide good software. I know Don Starr can write good software, as I have used WIN500 for years, but this is no WIN500.

Phil

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered a TRX-1. I'm making an excel template to setup conventional scanlists to import into ezscan. Everything imports fine except color code I tried naming the column Tone, Color Code, and Tone Type. Any ideas?

TAbirdman

isn't color code 0-9 or something and slot is 0-2? Did you try using numbers for these columns?

TAbirdman

Whistler already released remote control. Yesterday or the day before. So it's a little late to be the first.

Its a demo from Whistler so if Butel made it available then they would be the first 3rd party to do so.

D

darunimal

and it would be the 1st vendor to have it done primarily for whistler scanner listeners and users from a 3rd party and it would make the Whistlers the 2nd remote controllable scanner manufacturer if you don't count aor and or 3rd if you count GRE's as the 1st, and it would be the 12th program to allow remote controlling of scanners, while the demo is the 2nd demo released, in a beta form, but 1st since the mkii beta for the 536

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
isn't color code 0-9 or something and slot is 0-2? Did you try using numbers for these columns?

Yeah, the help file says 0-15 on the color code and 1-2 on the slot. Tried that. Just refuses to import the color code. I thought maybe someone would have run across this by now.

TES

. . . I know Don Starr can write good software, as I have used WIN500 for years, but this is no WIN500 . . .

While it's true that Mr. Starr wrote the firmware for the GRE-made PSR-800 scanner, and all of its descendants, he did not write the programming software.

Status
Not open for further replies.