TRX1 DMR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a DMR ham repeater near me that has many talkgroups,how do I program them in? I can get North America and Worldwide but how does one program other talk groups like TAC 310 and 311,parrot and such? DO you set it as a P25 and enter the talkgroups?Like 4255 is say NorthEast NJ. I dont want to have it set as Any because I might miss something.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
censored

If you set it to "any," you will have the best likelihood of not missing anything.

If you are trying to program "DMR," it's unlikely that you would want to program it as "P25."

First off, why do you want to enter the talkgroups?

And, if you must do so, you have to program the single frequency as a trunked system and add a wildcard talkgroup.

But, again, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

SCPD

QRT
DMR

I want to be able to Pick separately each Im going to call it a "talkgroup" so I can pick which one I listen to : 1 Worldwide 2 North America 3.TAC 310 4 TAC 311 5.Parrot 6.you get the idea....... Why?because if worldwide is talking and so is North America,I can switch between them,right?Like if I had a DMR radio.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Okay. I understand now. You don't want to miss anything on a specific talkgroup.

So create a new trunked system. For type, make it DMR. In the first site, add the frequency.

Go to the talkgroups tab. Create your talkgroups and then a wildcard to be sure. You might have to do a trick for TS 2 to work. I'm not current on the proper TS 2 steps right now. Put each talkgroup in its won scanlist our use the browse objects menu to pause on it.

KD2KWD

Each Talk Group is assigned to a Time Slot. so each talk group is considered a separate channel on the radio. after you created about 10 channels per repeater you can setup a scan list but you can only monitor talk groups that are set for always on each repeater is different. most of the time its a wide area local and North america.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Okay. I understand now. You don't want to miss anything on a specific talkgroup.

So create a new trunked system. For type, make it DMR. In the first site, add the frequency.

Go to the talkgroups tab. Create your talkgroups and then a wildcard to be sure. You might have to do a trick for TS 2 to work. I'm not current on the proper TS 2 steps right now. Put each talkgroup in its won scanlist our use the browse objects menu to pause on it.

When programmed as a Trunked System I don't think you have to worry about the Slot. I think that mainly matters when Conventional. The radio follows the Trunked Talkgroups regardless of what Slot is using, especially when in true Trunked systems, where the TGs jump around Slots all the time.

KD2KWD

Ham radio side of DMR doesn't use trunking, it's using IP Site Connect witch is considered conventional linked so each TG is assigned to the Time Slot from the c-Bridge. On a Connect Plus, Capacity Plus and Capacity Max system the TG will come thru on what ever repeater and Time Slot is available at the site.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Ham radio side of DMR doesn't use trunking, it's using IP Site Connect witch is considered conventional linked so each TG is assigned to the Time Slot from the c-Bridge. On a Connect Plus, Capacity Plus and Capacity Max system the TG will come thru on what ever repeater and Time Slot is available at the site.

That's true.

However, you can program single DMR conventional frequencies as Trunked too. I do it on both the Uniden and Whistler radios. There's pros and cons to it, so that'll be up to the end user to experiment and decide what's better to their monitoring needs.

KD2KWD

Okay that makes sense, the thing is on IP Site Connect with the c-bridge most of the Talk Groups are User Activated to not conflict with the Time Slot. For example you can't monitor Tac-310, you will not hear anything unless that repeater was activated. Now TG 2 on TS2 is a wide area Local Talk Group set to always be on so that is one you can monitor. 90% TG 3 on TS1 known as MARC North America is always on. Everything else is UA for the other talk groups.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Okay that makes sense, the thing is on IP Site Connect with the c-bridge most of the Talk Groups are User Activated to not conflict with the Time Slot. For example you can't monitor Tac-310, you will not hear anything unless that repeater was activated. Now TG 2 on TS2 is a wide area Local Talk Group set to always be on so that is one you can monitor. 90% TG 3 on TS1 known as MARC North America is always on. Everything else is UA for the other talk groups.

I wish we had more of that DMR MARC activity in my area. Would love to listen and experiment with that.

KD2KWD

DMR-MARC is fading away with more people getting their own c-bridge servers they can do what they want. Also dv4mini USB sticks are cheaper way to go. Also brandmister is growing and getting more active.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
When programming "trunked" system talkgroups for DMR, I really do think there is some sort of consideration for getting the second timeslot. I could be wrong, but you might look into it. I've not yet programmed any trunked talkgroups other than wildcard.

KD2KWD

Well K2OOL was referring to a Ham Repeater that wouldn't be a DMR trunking system. IP Sire Connect is conventional where each TG is assigned to a Time Slot from the C-Bridge. So not having the correct TS means your not able to listen and on a radio you cannot talk.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
In the Whislter scanners, conventional channels can be programmed as "Trunked" Systems (and visa versa). It simplifies the number of entries required. It does not mean that the system is actually trunked.

Comp-100

If the repeater is DMR-MARC then go to their site, find the repeater on their map, click on it and it will give you all the information for each talkgroup on the repeater.

KD2KWD

DMR-MARC map/site isn't update to as it should be. I strongly recommend finding what network the repeater in the area is connected to, go to their website to see the talk groups supported. Each c-Bridge can configure any repeater to have what ever talk groups they want, UA or Always On mode. You can't monitor a UA Talk Group unless its activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.