Whistler TRX-1/2 P25 phase 2 performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried to monitor a 700mhz phase 2-P25 simulcast system on either of the TRX scanners yet? How does it perform? Does it cut out a lot? Miss transmissions? How much of an improvement is it over the old PSR 800 or WS 1080/1095? How does it line up with the Uniden 436/536?

radio3353

Has anyone tried to monitor a 700mhz phase 2-P25 simulcast system on either of the TRX scanners yet? How does it perform? Does it cut out a lot? Miss transmissions? How much of an improvement is it over the old PSR 800 or WS 1080/1095? How does it line up with the Uniden 436/536?

As has been stated many, many times, simulcast reception is all about location. The experience of others has no bearing on how well you will receive it using a consumer scanner. Unfortunately, you need to try it at your shack to learn anything meaningful. You may need a beam antenna pointed in a specific direction. Reading through other posts, you will find some claim to have no problems, while others have seen no improvement. Pay your money and take your chances (be sure you can return the radio if it doesn't work out.)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler TRX-1/2 P25 Phase 2 performance

Radio 3353 is right. It's all location, location, location. I can get my Statewide P25 system at home ONLY when I use a 700/800mhz Yagi. Don't know why? but that's the way it is. Out and about it's better, but schizoid in places. I have to take extra steps just to get reception in well. And it comes in best at the farthest part of the county I'm in Cook County IL. OUT where three different counties of Starcom21 systems meet at my brother's house in Elgin IL I get it perfectly with just a rubber duck. It's hilarious, Phase 2 and everything. BUT when I park at the White Pines Golf Course in North DuPage County in Bensenville IL? nothing but cutting and garbled mess. I can get Bensenville perfect in my brother's basement out in Elgin IL a county away but NOT well in Bensenville. That's the way Simulcast is and that's the reality of the area you live in too. Some places great, many not. When asked about improvements to the new Whistlers in Phase 2 and Simulcast systems? the rep just shrugged his shoulders and said most all scanners made today react the same. My advice is to save your money and buy a Unication G4/G5 Voice pager to monitor the P25 Simulcast systems and phase 2 WHEN Unication does do a TDMA update. The Rep posted that may be sometime this year fall? winter? who knows? . A cheap digital or used scanner can get all other frequencies in for the rest. I'm waiting for a Unication Scanner. They know there's interest in such a device. I'd love to see it. I'll not spend any more money on Scanners that don't even perform as well as my OLD Pro96.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rmrTq_R4ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsxxUoLDLEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jITMLXK8fdU

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed6698

I agree, it has to do with location more then anything

Luckily I am in a good spot, my 1080 and 1095 both work fantastic monitoring a 700mhz P25 Phase II system, I would probably have the same performance with a TRX model.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
True Ed6698. I love my WS1080 when I visit my Brother to watch Bulls/Blackhawks/Sox. Not so happy on the trip back to where I am. My Yagi 700/800mhz set up works great but just roving around in the car? blah, hit and miss. The same trips my old, OLD Pro96 never loses the Control Channel. They made that scanner well.

Last edited by a moderator:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
While of course I agree that location is essential when talking about performance on simulcast systems (even moving my PSR 800 a few inches can make a huge difference) I think most people would notice a huge difference between say a WS1080 and BCD436HP on the same system in the same exact location. Why? They have different guts. I have been hearing lots of reports of the TRX improved digital audio but am curious to see if this is just P25 conventional or across the board.

radio3353

While of course I agree that location is essential when talking about performance on simulcast systems (even moving my PSR 800 a few inches can make a huge difference) I think most people would notice a huge difference between say a WS1080 and BCD436HP on the same system in the same exact location. Why? They have different guts. I have been hearing lots of reports of the TRX improved digital audio but am curious to see if this is just P25 conventional or across the board.

It has already been stated in other threads that the new TRX scanners have NO improvements that affect Phase II simulcast reception.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

Improved digital audio and improved simulcast reception are two different things - one is referring to the audio quality (what you hear) and the other has to do with the sensitivity and selectivity (aka reception). As stated, simulcast reception won't see much improvement as they've stated the front is of the radio didn't change much (that's not to say someone won't report improvement but it isn't across the board).

SCPD

QRT
I notice if I turn the squelch all the way down,it works alot better,problem is if you have any analog without PL tones you stop on that.I live in a LSM-crippled area.Try setting thresholds 1 lo and 99 hi or set it on the control channel and lock all other frequencies out.
Use only the site near you.Lock all the others out.A 700mhz speciality antenna can help too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.