WHISTLER WEDNESDAY - Did you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
We thought it might be fun to let you all in on some things you may not know about your Whistler Scanner. An "Easter Egg" if you will. This will work for any of the Whistler SD Scanners that have been upgraded to DMR.

So for today's first Whistler Wednesday - Did you know?

... that you can have your scanner play an audio file at start up?

Yep!

You can take your favorite ringtone, song, or sound bite and play it during the welcome screen!
It is best to keep this short, possibly a few seconds however you can play an entire song if you wish to and it will exit automatically at the end of the ringtone/song or you can exit early by pressing the select button at any time while it is playing.

Your audio file will need to be converted to u-law with the sample rate of 8000 HZ, Mono, then change the name of the Audio file to Startup_.au and place in the root of your SD card.

When you turn on your scanner the ringtone/sound bite will play at the welcome screen.

So have some fun and see what creative things you can come up with! (mine plays "Everyone Knows It's Windy (Wendy)" by The Association :)

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Wowza. Imma try and set that up!

Maybe "Bad Boys Bad Boys.....Whatcha gonna do...whatcha gonna do when they come for you"

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Steps to create file?

I used Audacity and these steps:

The trick is to set the ‘Project Rate (Hz)’ in the bottom left hand corner to 8000 of Audacity.
Next select ‘File’ ‘ Export’
Change the ‘Save as type’ to ‘Other uncompressed files’ (a bit misleading)
Then click ‘Options’ button (bottom right)
Select ‘WAV (Microsoft)’ for ‘Header’ and ‘U-Law’ for ‘Encoding’ then click ‘OK’
Choose a name and enter it into ‘File name’
Click ‘Save’
Click ‘OK’ to the ‘Edit Metadata’ screen (don’t enter ANY metadata)

Changed file name to startup_.au and placed it on the root SD card and it's not working. ???

D

darunimal

Yes, I can finally play Dragnet's, Car 54, Cops, and Law & Order's Dong & theme songs on each of my scanners. That will make getting in my vehicle fun again Thanks Wendy!!!

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Try setting the Header to AU (Sun/NeXT)... it automagically saves the file with a .au extension

Select ‘WAV (Microsoft)’ for ‘Header’ and ‘U-Law’ for ‘Encoding’ then click ‘OK’

MichaelBhere

I used Switch Sound File Converter I found online for FREE and everything worked great.
Publisher of the converter was NCH software

Took an MP3 file and converted the xxxxx.MP3 file to an xxxxx.au file first then changed the file name of the converted file to Startup_.au

TAbirdman

I had trouble with a converter - playing back the converted file (on my PC) all I got was hisssss. Tried the Program the MichaelBhere suggested and it worked. Very cool!!

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
This is a blast! Made a little 15 second mashup of Bewitched, REM, Tommy Tutone and Steely Dan... will post tomorrow-ish.

samsat

https://youtu.be/ztr666_JzsA

Just made a soundclip of my callsign in morse code, nothing exciting... I don't even know morse code lol. Anyway, a simple customization that can be fun to play with. Used MichaelBhere's method as well.

Great idea. However the code is coming out as KB4REE or KB4RI. Maybe you cut the sound clip short as it was playing the dit dah of the A just picking up the dit.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I think a sound clip of a "low battery" chirp from a popular radio would be cool or a default ringtone would make folks look at their phone going "is that mine? " :)

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Great idea. However the code is coming out as KB4REE or KB4RI. Maybe you cut the sound clip short as it was playing the dit dah of the A just picking up the dit.
Ah, thx. Maybe I'll try 25 wpm instead of 20. Although, if you can play a whole song it shouldn't be getting cut off. I'll look into it...

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.