RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2017, 9:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Railroad NXDN Conventional

I have a new TRX-1 and it is receiving railroad analog transmissions on channels 007 through 097 very well. As a railroad contractor I have a Kenwood NX-210 portable and a NX-700 in my SUV. Both are programmed with NXDN channels 307 through 487 in one of the groups although I have yet to actually use them at work.

I programmed a scanlist in my TRX-1 with the appropriate frequencies and set everything to NXDN with RAN 0 (and I also tried "any"). When I test it with either of my radios on a specific channel with the TRX-1 an appropriate distance away to avoid overload the scanner shows no reaction visibly or audibly.

Any thoughts on how I should be programming the settings and or what I am missing?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2017, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFL9 View Post
I have a new TRX-1 and it is receiving railroad analog transmissions on channels 007 through 097 very well. As a railroad contractor I have a Kenwood NX-210 portable and a NX-700 in my SUV. Both are programmed with NXDN channels 307 through 487 in one of the groups although I have yet to actually use them at work.

I programmed a scanlist in my TRX-1 with the appropriate frequencies and set everything to NXDN with RAN 0 (and I also tried "any"). When I test it with either of my radios on a specific channel with the TRX-1 an appropriate distance away to avoid overload the scanner shows no reaction visibly or audibly.

Any thoughts on how I should be programming the settings and or what I am missing?

Thanks!
Are you programming the input frequencies in? Maybe the NXDN repeaters haven't been activated yet?
Old 08-22-2017, 9:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

These are all programmed as simplex frequencies. No repeaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Try putting the scanner in manual tune search mode, enter the known frequency only, then see what's being transmitted from the actual NXDN radios. I'm tracking several here and it works just fine, no issues.
Old 08-27-2017, 4:16 AM

Default Railroad NXDN Conventional

f you already know tx frequencies,set all of them as conventional in same scan group,then start to scan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2017, 1:36 PM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFL9 View Post

Any thoughts on how I should be programming the settings and or what I am missing?!
I ran into this at Bellevue, OH over the weekend, having taken my TRX-1 along just to search and see if anything was using NXDN in the yard. It was.

I have a scan list called RR Search (List 99) set up with all the RR frequencies pre-programmed, analog channels set to Analog and NXDN channels set to Digital. Analog worked fine, but when 160.7325 digital came up active it would not stop on AAR 376 as it should have, instead kept stopping on the analog channel making all kinds of racket.

I finally had to set the digital search channel to DG Mode - Auto, RX Mode - Auto and Sq Mode - Srch to get the digital traffic to come through, after which it did fine, showing RAN=0 during active transmissions. I then added that channel to the normal "confirmed" railroad scan list (list 100), and once again, nothing. I had to tinker with the settings until it started working. Still not sure exactly what I did to make it work, but try this:

DG Mode - Dig
RX Mode - Auto
Sq Mode - Srch
Sq Search - checked yes
NXDN - checked yes
RAN - Any
RadioID - checked yes
RID - Any

If that doesn't work try setting RAN to 00. I can't recall if RAN 00 is "pass any RAN" or "pass only stuff that doesn't have a RAN."

I really need to sit down and monitor some conventional NXDN around here, and play with the settings to confirm what really works.

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by wa8pyr; 10-10-2017 at 1:48 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 2:16 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey Guys,
I guess I got lucky as I never put any of the new frequencies in. I had one scan list with all the 1-97 AAR list, all set as analog. I have a second scan list, same frequencies but the mode set to NXDN and had no problem catching the NS car-men working on AAR 79.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlEadey0axY

I guess if they had been using one of the narrower band frequencies, I would have had trouble. I might need to check again with those channels entered. Hope this helps, Ken.
-- John
Attached Images

Decatur, AL Public Safety Scanner Feed: http://www.alabamarailfan.com/pubsafety.php
Old 10-11-2017, 10:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Thanks for the updates!

Thanks to both Tom and John!

I will experiment with those settings here and let you know the results.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Same deal here in Canada. Seems all CN Rail workers have NX700/NX210's but havne yet to hear any digital comms.. All just analog still. Wonder if the NX channels are just for common use if they venture across the border or to have comms with US trains or whatnot?