RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 3:23 PM

Default TRX-1 No date and time memory?

TRX-1 has no date and time memory? Gets frustrating resetting date and time every day when changing batteries. Is it supposed to be this way?
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2018, 4:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by picscan View Post
TRX-1 has no date and time memory? Gets frustrating resetting date and time every day when changing batteries. Is it supposed to be this way?
Goes back to the days of the PSR 800, only have a short amount of time when changing batteries, before it loses the date and time. There is a thread about this from years ago, mentioning this very thing.
Old 01-13-2018, 9:01 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks, tried to be quick but no luck unless I leave it plugged in to my laptop then do it that way.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:11 PM

Tried again, under 10 seconds, still had to reset.
Old 01-15-2018, 9:37 AM

Get rechargeables and let the scanner recharge them. It should not be this way especially if the scanner is still plugged in.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2018, 9:42 AM

It's bizarre to me that you can buy $3 digital watch near the checkout lane at Walmart but a $500 scanner cannot keep time and date. Wouldn't it just take a small battery or something?
Old 01-15-2018, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazpo View Post
It's bizarre to me that you can buy $3 digital watch near the checkout lane at Walmart but a $500 scanner cannot keep time and date. Wouldn't it just take a small battery or something?
Send it in for repair because it is supposed to hold time for period long enough to change the batteries.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Leave the scanner plugged into the computer all day or over night with the computer on , the TRX-2 has a internal battery that is only charged by the usb cable and scanner turned off .
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyracer View Post
Send it in for repair because it is supposed to hold time for period long enough to change the batteries.
Mine does, I don't have an issue. I use an external charger and swap out so I don't lose time.
Old 01-15-2018, 4:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a question on the TRX-2 date/time battery. Can the TRX-2 battery be charged if the TRX-2 is powered off but plugged into AC power and the USB cable plugged in to radio but NOT connected to the PC? Somewhere in I read that AC power will charge the battery as long as the USB cable was simply plugged into the TRX-2 but not connected to PC nor wall wart. Thanks
Old 01-15-2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazpo View Post
Mine does, I don't have an issue. I use an external charger and swap out so I don't lose time.
I've never seen this issue either.
Old 01-16-2018, 6:21 PM

Sometimes I'll use mine charging on my laptop and the battery icon indicates a full charge, after I unplug it and start using it the batteries lasts about 10 minutes, if I use my external charger it goes for about 12 hours on a charge. On a few occasion I know I turned it off before bed and wake up in the morning and batteries are dead. Now I watch it to make sure it's off and sure enough, drains batteries overnight. Why do I always get the lucky ones?
Old 01-17-2018, 6:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I do believe if I remember correctly DonS addressed this one time a few years ago, I tried finding the thread but could not find it. I believe he said a person has somewhere around 90 seconds to change the batteries before the clock would lose time.

If your radio loses time so quickly I would contact Whistler and see what they have to say, also maybe they can clarify about how much time a person would have to change the batteries before losing the time.
Old 01-17-2018, 6:40 PM

I contacted Whistler and they told me to use fully charged batteries👎🏼. DUH! That's what I've been doing! I contacted the place I bought it from that states "Friendly, expert scanner support forever. No call tree, no hold time, call anytime.", 😂😂😂, First time they told me to call Whistler, second time nobody answered😂😂😂. Great support from both! 😂😂😂. Guess what kind of scanner and who I won't be buying from again.
Old 01-17-2018, 6:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Considering that this does not seem to be a widespread problem, and if the radio is under warranty I would send it in and have them look at it. Where did you buy the scanner from? What kind of rechargeable batteries are you using. Also what kind of charger?
Old 01-17-2018, 7:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I contacted the place I bought it from that states "Friendly, expert scanner support forever. No call tree, no hold time, call anytime.", 😂😂😂, First time they told me to call Whistler, second time nobody answered😂😂😂.
ZipScanners?
Old 01-17-2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed6698 View Post
Considering that this does not seem to be a widespread problem, and if the radio is under warranty I would send it in and have them look at it. Where did you buy the scanner from? What kind of rechargeable batteries are you using. Also what kind of charger?

Charger is MAHA C9000 with Eneloop Pro batteries. I'm not really into bad mouthing companies, I just don't buy or recommend them anymore after giving me some bs, easy enough to figure it out though.🤐. When I first got it I sent them an email so this is the third time I contacted them, same day I received the scanner the thing was acting up giving me error messages and their response was "call whistler" end of email. No help, no advice, immediate "call whistler". I've had lots of scanners, had my ham license and lots of radios so I'm not a total newbie. I'll figure it out. Thanks
Old 01-17-2018, 7:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed6698 View Post
I do believe if I remember correctly DonS addressed this one time a few years ago, I tried finding the thread but could not find it. I believe he said a person has somewhere around 90 seconds to change the batteries before the clock would lose time.

If your radio loses time so quickly I would contact Whistler and see what they have to say, also maybe they can clarify about how much time a person would have to change the batteries before losing the time.
Mr. Starr did mentioned the Real Time Clock in relation to the PSR-800. I imagine the TRX-1 is similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
When "off" and not connected to external (USB) power, the PSR-800's RTC device is powered from the 4 AA cells, drawing a couple of microamps. To handle battery swapping, there's a little cap that keeps the RTC happy for 5 minutes, or so.
Old 01-17-2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
zipscanners?
🤐 🤣
Old 01-17-2018, 8:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Charger is MAHA C9000 with Eneloop Pro batteries. I'm not really into bad mouthing companies, I just don't buy or recommend them anymore after giving me some bs, easy enough to figure it out though.��. When I first got it I sent them an email so this is the third time I contacted them, same day I received the scanner the thing was acting up giving me error messages and their response was "call whistler" end of email. No help, no advice, immediate "call whistler". I've had lots of scanners, had my ham license and lots of radios so I'm not a total newbie. I'll figure it out. Thanks
If it was ZipScanners, I would never recommend them to anyone.

I know someone recommended leaving it connected over night via usb, but I don't think that is the solution, but it may work. I very rarely ever power mine via usb and I have not had the clock reset in 3 years of owning my 1080. The RTC gets powered from the batteries as stated in the other post that TES found.