How Can You Turn Off Specific Service Types on TRX-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridasand

Hello,

I need to know if it is possible to turn off one or more service types (LAW TALK, HOSPITAL) etc on the TRX-2? There are many times that I wish to temporarily disable one or more services when there is something going on like the recent fires we had here in SOCAL. I wanted to only have the fire department and AERO services turned on but I could not figure out how to disable the other services. The end result is I had to go back to the programming software and only download the three or four services I wanted to listen to.

I have a feature selection on my UNIDEN BCD536HP that I can turn on or turn off as many services that I want to.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

N7UFT Dana

troymail

Silent Key
Generically, you can't.

You can only toggle service types on or off if you used a location based import (zip code, city, county, etc.).

If you did that type of import (vs. preferred or custom programming), you can enable and disable the specific scanlist (151-181) that holds any given service type/tag.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Go to scanlist and simply uncheck them, you can do this via the key pad or via ezscan then send to the scanner. They start at scanlist 151 and up.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Let me offer one other angle--program for this in the first place. A couple of things to remember.
1 - You can put a given object (freq or talkgroup) in ANY scanlist you want, regardless of what system it's attached to
2 - Freqs and talkgroup objects can coexist within the same scanlist
3 - An object can be in multiple scanlists

I often have special scanlists for nothing but police surveillance or fire dispatch in a given city or in a region with multiple smaller localities. Engage these scanlists by themselves and that's all I hear--no police dispatch and no fire response tacs.

Remember that if you custom program, you can cherrypick what you listen to in any number of ways, and get pretty much what you want at the push of a button. The only thing for us, is that we don't have it as a menu-driven filter like Uniden does. You could ask Wendy to add this feature, and she might grant your wish, but I really like the flexibility of this system. (I just wish they'd include search ranges as scannable objects a la PSR500/600)

You can engineer your content any way you want, and if you keep master lists on Excel spreadsheets, it's pretty easy to monitor and edit. Once you come up with a cherrypicking solution that suits you personally, you might feel like menu of 31 categories seems pretty limited.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Floridasand

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. It is a bit cumbersome to change on the fly but I think based on the replies, I am going to program specialized channel groups.

73 Dana
N7UFT

JERRYBIGJ

Hello,

I need to know if it is possible to turn off one or more service types (LAW TALK, HOSPITAL) etc on the TRX-2? There are many times that I wish to temporarily disable one or more services when there is something going on like the recent fires we had here in SOCAL. I wanted to only have the fire department and AERO services turned on but I could not figure out how to disable the other services. The end result is I had to go back to the programming software and only download the three or four services I wanted to listen to.

I have a feature selection on my UNIDEN BCD536HP that I can turn on or turn off as many services that I want to.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

N7UFT Dana

You can turn scanlists on and off just by punching the number on the keypad. Say you are talking about scanlists 151-200 just punch their number on keypad to turn on or off. Works for all scanlists on scanners with keypad like 1088,1098. TRX-1 &2 No need to go to scanlists to turn on or off.
Jerry

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
You can turn scanlists on and off just by punching the number on the keypad. Say you are talking about scanlists 151-200 just punch their number on keypad to turn on or off. Works for all scanlists on scanners with keypad like 1088,1098. TRX-1 &2 No need to go to scanlists to turn on or off.
Jerry

The big problem with this is remembering which number goes with which category. I emailed Whistler with the suggestion that they include the Scanlist # in its displayed alpha tag to make this easier. Mike responded with a suggestion that will work with existing programming:

1 - With Location set to OFF, rename your 151-180 alpha tags to include the Scanlist # as well as the Category
2 - Set Location back to ON, to engage in Location-based programming
3 - Once programed, set Location back to OFF, and you'll see your altered alpha tags with the scanlist # included.

To me, this is actually a faster way than Uniden's to toggle your function categories on and off.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.