RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners


Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 PM
03msc's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
I would like to see the damn SD card corruption problem fixed on their flagship TRX-2 scanner. You cannot remove DC power from the scanner while it is on or the SD card gets corrupted. Makes mobile install with ignition control useless.

I personally would not be happy if they released a new model that fixes the problems and expects users to pay more money to get what should work.
I think that's only the case if you have recording or whatever on. I had a 1098 and then a TRX-2 in my mobile and never once had the corrupt card issue - and, yes, I would cut power to it all the time without remembering to power it down. Never an issue. I didn't record, though; never saw the point, personally, while in a mobile setup.
__________________
Mark Arkansas
Uniden Whistler Kenwood Yaesu
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 12:38 PM
CQ's Avatar
CQ CQ is offline
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Exosphere
Posts: 291
Default

Here's your early surprise:
https://forums.radioreference.com/wh...tral-time.html
__________________
My nuclear button is much bigger than yours
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 577
Default

Delete
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 1:20 PM
wbswetnam's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DMR-istan (aka "Arkansas")
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
I think that's only the case if you have recording or whatever on. I had a 1098 and then a TRX-2 in my mobile and never once had the corrupt card issue - and, yes, I would cut power to it all the time without remembering to power it down. Never an issue. I didn't record, though; never saw the point, personally, while in a mobile setup.
Ditto with my mobile WS-1095.
__________________
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. - Mae West
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 1:29 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
I would like to see the damn SD card corruption problem fixed on their flagship TRX-2 scanner. You cannot remove DC power from the scanner while it is on or the SD card gets corrupted. Makes mobile install with ignition control useless.
That is only true if you are recording to the card, and cut power during a card write. If you disable all recording functions, you can cut power any time without corrupting the card.
__________________
Gone camping.
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 5:10 PM
radio3353's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 749
Default

In all seriousness (antenna balls aside) if Whistler can't answer the simulcast issue to counter Uniden's SDS100, then I think this starts Whistler's slide to the end of scanner products. Score one for Uniden. How about it Whistler Wendy? Has your company stepped up? Or do you only respond to antenna ball comments?
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 6:36 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: England
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
That is only true if you are recording to the card, and cut power during a card write. If you disable all recording functions, you can cut power any time without corrupting the card.
You tend to lose all recordings made since you powered the scanner on if it doesn't shut down properly, even if no actual write operation was taking place when the power was cut.
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 6:58 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,876
Default

If Whistler had a new scanner brewing, do you think they would unveil it just because you are making some noise? I don't think so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
In all seriousness (antenna balls aside) if Whistler can't answer the simulcast issue to counter Uniden's SDS100, then I think this starts Whistler's slide to the end of scanner products. Score one for Uniden. How about it Whistler Wendy? Has your company stepped up? Or do you only respond to antenna ball comments?
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 7:17 PM
radio3353's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
If Whistler had a new scanner brewing, do you think they would unveil it just because you are making some noise? I don't think so.
You missed my point. It is not about me. The point was Whistler needs to announce something to everybody at Hamvention or loose the business to Uniden which may start shipping a simulcast capable product in June. The first one out of the shoot has the business. Look at how many simulcast capable pagers Unication has sold to the hobbyist market (which is not their target market) just by having something that works. Simulcast is a big deal in case you haven't noticed.
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 8:01 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,876
Default

If Whistler doesn't have a new scanner to release at Dayton then they will loose some business to Uniden for now. No big deal, happens every day in every kind of business. Some people will buy the new Uniden because they have simulcast problems or to have the newest toy or they want a pretty multi-color display or whatever. Still not the end of Whistler by any means.

The first one out of the shoot will get the new business but more often than not the late comer learns the mistakes made by their competition, reads the market and produces a better product in the end.

Simulcast is a problem in some areas but from what I gather a small percent of scanner users are affected at this point because simulcast is not everywhere. I live in the second larges city in the country and I have no simulcast problems with my various scanners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
You missed my point. It is not about me. The point was Whistler needs to announce something to everybody at Hamvention or loose the business to Uniden which may start shipping a simulcast capable product in June. The first one out of the shoot has the business. Look at how many simulcast capable pagers Unication has sold to the hobbyist market (which is not their target market) just by having something that works. Simulcast is a big deal in case you haven't noticed.

Last edited by prcguy; 05-16-2018 at 8:07 PM..
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2018, 8:37 PM
Markb's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
You missed my point. It is not about me. The point was Whistler needs to announce something to everybody at Hamvention or loose the business to Uniden which may start shipping a simulcast capable product in June. The first one out of the shoot has the business. Look at how many simulcast capable pagers Unication has sold to the hobbyist market (which is not their target market) just by having something that works. Simulcast is a big deal in case you haven't noticed.
Have you visited the Uniden forum lately? There's a whole grip of whiners who will "Never buy Uniden again". I am sure Whistler isn't going to lose much of anything, nor will they die.
Then you have Unication. Their market share is probably pretty small, actually. LSM isn't a global problem. Some are intimidated by having to program a radio and most don't want to pay the money for a pager (not a scanner) that has fairly limited capability.
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 8:23 AM
WhistlerWendy's Avatar
Whistler Representative
   
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 295
Default

Surprise!
__________________
Whistler Wendy
KW5NDY
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 8:42 AM
03msc's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,313
Default

https://forums.radioreference.com/wh...-scanners.html
__________________
Mark Arkansas
Uniden Whistler Kenwood Yaesu
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 84
Default

Bless You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerWendy View Post
Surprise!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 3:02 PM
radio3353's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 749
Default

Good job Whistler. Looking forward to more info and pics. Competition is good.
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2018, 9:35 PM
Radiosunshine's Avatar
k2ool/k1nng
   
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 136
Default

Will they upgrade our TRX1 and TRX2's for a price?Now thats what I want to know.
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2018, 11:12 AM
radio3353's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosunshine View Post
Will they upgrade our TRX1 and TRX2's for a price?Now thats what I want to know.
Upgrade to what? LSM capability? That requires a hardware change so no.
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2018, 4:33 PM
wbswetnam's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DMR-istan (aka "Arkansas")
Posts: 1,410
Default

If Uniden's SDS100 can make waffles, then I demand to know what culinary tricks the TRX-100 and TRX-200 can do.
__________________
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. - Mae West
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2018, 4:59 PM
W9BU's Avatar
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 5,249
Default

Release announcement and discussion here: https://forums.radioreference.com/wh...-scanners.html
__________________
Lead Wiki Manager and Forum Moderator.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions