RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 10:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Backups can be made using File -> Save Current Configuration To Archive

I know that but would be nice to be able to export our work to a spreadsheet so we could use same programming on other scanners as well without having to redo everything

This is why Iíve started doing most everything in excel then importing from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 BCD536HP's , 2 BCD436HP's , BCD996XT, 2 TRX-1's , PRO-96
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbod9633 View Post
I know that but would be nice to be able to export our work to a spreadsheet so we could use same programming on other scanners as well without having to redo everything

This is why Iíve started doing most everything in excel then importing from there
That's what I'm steering towards, switching to Excel. A lot of work was put in the last few years in EZScan maintaining about 2000 conventional channels and who knows how many TGID's across 170 scanlists for my mobile setup. I've hit the maximum threshold of sanity quite a while ago trying to maintain that in EZScan so I'm desperate for a new solution. Without that export feature, 2 years of work are gone. But hey, it's making me rethink a few things and I think I can really make my scanner sing by staying in Excel and not messing with the sludge of EZScan.

Whistler needs to rethink their licensing terms with the greedy Radio Reference and figure out a way to let us export our dang work. It's our work either way, whether manually in the scanner, or submissions to the Great Database. Our work is lining someone else's pockets. Can we at least get some pocket lint in our own pocket?
Old 05-23-2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalscan View Post
Whistler needs to rethink their licensing terms with the greedy Radio Reference and figure out a way to let us export our dang work. It's our work either way, whether manually in the scanner, or submissions to the Great Database. Our work is lining someone else's pockets. Can we at least get some pocket lint in our own pocket?
What arrogance you have! Why should Lindsay Blanton give away for free part of his lively hood? Do you work for free? The solution to the issue you raise, as have others since EZScan came on the scene, has a simple solution for those who understand computers and the process. Build EZScan from Excel and then import into EZScan. That way you can always restore EZScan or modify with very little time.
Old 05-23-2018, 4:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

And who do you think pays the bill for all the data up and downloaded? Who do you thinks pays the bill for hosting THE WORLD WIDE WEB IS NOT FREE and FEE IS CHARGES IN SIZE OF DATA PER MONTH. If it were me ALL MEMBERS WOULD PAY A FEE.
Old 05-23-2018, 4:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Would be nice if we could import trunked system frequencies rather than entering manually or pasting one at a time. I've got everything set up via excel to import TGID and UID, and of course conventional.
Old 05-24-2018, 4:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipesy View Post
What arrogance you have! Why should Lindsay Blanton give away for free part of his lively hood? Do you work for free?
Please read my post more carefully, I asked both for rethinking their licensing terms, and for some pocket lint, not the entire lined pocket or free services. As I have stated in related topics, I'm willing to pay an expanded license fee to unlock an export feature of EZScan. I'm not a fan of data held hostage in any way, especially in a hobby such as ours. If they could renegotiate terms, figure out a $ value of that export feature, I think a lot of us would gladly pay.

As for working for free, maybe having a small website online since 1995 giving intel back to my local scanning community, that has had zero ads or donations since day 1 (well, maybe a few beers were bought for me here and there), would be considered working for free to better serve our scanning hobby.
Old 05-28-2018, 9:27 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerWendy View Post
Hi All -
There will be updates to the PC Apps today by 4pm Central time.

Here are the release notes: (Major clippage)

Happy Scanning!

Any way your software writers could create a single application that supports all of the SD-Card based scanners instead of separate applications for each one?

Someone like me tends to have one of just about everything and would love to be able to use one program, easily share database and scanlists etc.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 05-28-2018, 2:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
Any way your software writers could create a single application that supports all of the SD-Card based scanners instead of separate applications for each one?

Someone like me tends to have one of just about everything and would love to be able to use one program, easily share database and scanlists etc.
Uniden also has different versions of Sentinel, depending on the radio. I had a Home Patrol 1 (which I have since sold) and the BCD536HP, and each had its own version of Sentinel.
Old 05-28-2018, 2:50 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbswetnam View Post
Uniden also has different versions of Sentinel, depending on the radio. I had a Home Patrol 1 (which I have since sold) and the BCD536HP, and each had its own version of Sentinel.

True, and I wish they could consolidate that as well. The Brown version of Sentinel works on both the HP1 and HP2, the Green version works on the BCD436, BCD536 and SDS100.

I would imagine the file structures between the various SD Card based Whistlers (WS1080, 1088, 1090, 1095, 1098 and the TRX1/2) to be similar enough to be able to use one program to access them all.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.