RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum

Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Wisconsin.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 2:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div106 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B511 Safari/9537.53)

Yes that would be Wood County Scan talkgroup
Hey groovy . One thingy i`m finding intresting after all this time listening to this system is how all these patches sound, for instance, LISO (Lincoln county) is running P25, yet the patch to WISCOM sounds like an analog patched to digital, which sounds not good (i`ve heard these before up north on the ARMER (MN) system and the patches on there sound like hack). Same thing with the PTSO one (portage county), mabey i`m missing something here, and if so please correct me, but wouldn`t ya think that they would wanna at least put out a signal that at least SOUNDS reasonably hearable (we`re not talking about ham here, so i don`t expect the cleanest sound on the band , but still ya wanna at least have it sound better than it does now). Am i wrong in my thinkin`? N9NRA
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2013, 6:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by box23 View Post
I've seen Sawyer show up on Lampson fairly often.

FWIW, I monitored Gordon for a while last night and did not hear anything. I also wouldn't expect them to completely switch over from what they were using before.
I'm exclusively monitoring Sawyer from the Lampson tower.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Wiscom

I have a home patrol, and when I program Douglas County, what do I put in for the unit ID? I have all the CC and talkgroup's in already. I live in Duluth. Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You shouldn't have to put in a Unit ID. That, I believe, will show the squad's digital ID.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Default WISCOM/Douglas

So I'm I NOT supposed to be hearing anything on Douglas digital? I programmed all the CC's from Superior, Maple, Parkland, Bennett, and Gordon. I also have all the TG in as well. I have not heard one thing in the last 2 days. Did I do something wrong, or are they just not up and running yet. I own a HP, and live in Duluth. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Not sure about Douglas and their traffic on those towers. But, I know when I was in Duluth, I had a hard time hearing traffic from WISCOM depending on where I was at and that was with a mobile scanner and external antenna on my truck.
Old 11-21-2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-7Goodnight View Post
So I'm I NOT supposed to be hearing anything on Douglas digital? I programmed all the CC's from Superior, Maple, Parkland, Bennett, and Gordon. I also have all the TG in as well. I have not heard one thing in the last 2 days. Did I do something wrong, or are they just not up and running yet. I own a HP, and live in Duluth. Thanks.
There should not be much if any Douglas specific traffic natively on the system, yet. There may be a little for testing, but largely anything you hear will be a patch from conventional. As a side note, because the users are not on the system and not getting a TPT, expect the beginning of messages to be cut off, anywhere from the first syllable to multiple words.

Also make sure your radio is actually decoding the control channels. I am not familiar with the HP-1 so I cannot help with this matter. If the radio is not reliably decoding the control channels, it may not see a channel grant even if there is heavy traffic on the site. Depending on where you are in Duluth you could very easily be getting enough noise on frequency that the radio can't decode. The 139.xx frequencies are especially prone to this in my experience. There are also "a few" powerful paging transmitters around 152 MHz on that side of the bridge which may be desensing you.

Possibly try scanning the voice channels conventionally. If there is any traffic you will hear it. It is also possible the patches have been taken down. I haven't been monitoring for a few days.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by box23 View Post
There should not be much if any Douglas specific traffic natively on the system, yet. There may be a little for testing, but largely anything you hear will be a patch from conventional. As a side note, because the users are not on the system and not getting a TPT, expect the beginning of messages to be cut off, anywhere from the first syllable to multiple words.

Also make sure your radio is actually decoding the control channels. I am not familiar with the HP-1 so I cannot help with this matter. If the radio is not reliably decoding the control channels, it may not see a channel grant even if there is heavy traffic on the site. Depending on where you are in Duluth you could very easily be getting enough noise on frequency that the radio can't decode. The 139.xx frequencies are especially prone to this in my experience. There are also "a few" powerful paging transmitters around 152 MHz on that side of the bridge which may be desensing you.

Possibly try scanning the voice channels conventionally. If there is any traffic you will hear it. It is also possible the patches have been taken down. I haven't been monitoring for a few days.

Hey box23, i just got up here yesterday and so far haven`t heard a peep on ANYTHING, conventional or digital,
from Douglas County, was just looking to see if they`d mabey changed the NAC`s or something. What of this? Intresting. N9NRA
Old 11-22-2013, 6:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Update to my post, was listening to DCSO on the Gordon tower, i could hear the unit-to-unit stuff, but not the dispatch traffic (units talking to dispatch/dispatch talking to the units), can anyone confirm if Douglas County has started migrateing to the WISCOM system yet? Based on my listenings today i`m starting to think they`re ether well on the way or mabey even nearly there. N9NRA
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2013, 9:52 AM

Default WISCOM/Douglas

Douglas seems to be up and running. I'm hearing SPD, Sheriff, and Superior Fire loud and clear. I suppose it helps being on the hill in Duluth. Home Patrol.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default WISCOM/Pierce

Just read a news article that Pierce Co will be moving Digital.. Should be kind-of cool.
Old 11-25-2013, 7:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-7Goodnight View Post
Douglas seems to be up and running. I'm hearing SPD, Sheriff, and Superior Fire loud and clear. I suppose it helps being on the hill in Duluth. Home Patrol.
I heard Douglas around lunch yesterday on Lampson. I'm guessing a subscriber radio landed on Lampson as a short time later it disappeared.
Old 11-25-2013, 6:01 PM

Default Programming the new wiscom freq problem.

getting ready to program the new freqs into my BC796d and it says there are base channels to also add, but on the RR wiscom site it only lists control channels and nothing about other channels??

"Programming Type2/Digital VHF and UHF Systems
To program a Type 2/Digital VHF or UHF system, you need to know the frequencies the
system uses and also the Base, Space, and Offset settings. These settings are normally
provided along with the system frequencies.
1. Select the trunk programming mode.
2:SCAN OPTION → 2:TRUNK
2. Use the scroll bar to select the bank you want to program, then press E.
1:TRUNK TYPE → 1:ON
3. Select one of the following trunk types for Motorola Type 2 or digital Systems:
4:TYPE2/P25 UHF
Motorola Type 2 or Digital systems in the UHF (450 Ė 512 MHz) band
5:TYPE2/P25 VHF
Motorola Type 2 or Digital systems in the VHF (148 Ė 406 MHz) band
4. Set the Base, Space and Offset settings.
Note: Your BC796D allows you to enter up to three Base, Space, Offset configurations.
However, most systems only use one configuration.
a. Use the scroll bar to select the configuration to program, then press E.
BASE CONFIG 1
b. Enter the systemís base frequency, then press E.
c. Enter the systemís space frequency, then press E.
d. Enter the systemís channel offset, then press E.
Repeat a-d or press MENU three times to continue programming the system.
46"
Old 11-25-2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJon View Post
getting ready to program the new freqs into my BC796d and it says there are base channels to also add, but on the RR wiscom site it only lists control channels and nothing about other channels??
Use the misc info above the site info:
Shouldn't need to worry about #3 & #4 unless the sites have frequencies above the base freq
Misc System Information

RR members report the following band plan, as decoded by their scanners:

0. Base Freq 138.0000, spacing 12.5 kHz
1. Base Freq 150.8150, spacing 7.5 kHz
2. Base Freq 154.6500, spacing 7.5 kHz
3. Base Freq 162.0000, spacing 12.5 kHz
4. Base Freq 851.00625, spacing 6.25 KHz

Last edited by SB-Wi; 11-25-2013 at 6:11 PM..
Old 11-26-2013, 7:33 AM

Thumbs up

I saw that but didn't know that is what they meant. Thanks, that will work! Looking forward to hearing everything for Wisconsin like Michigan's system.
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2013, 1:50 PM

My scanner also wants the offset channel after I enter the base freq and spacing, Confused now. My base settings are only 1,2,3 and not 0,1,2,3,4.
Old 11-26-2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
My scanner also wants the offset channel after I enter the base freq and spacing, Confused now. My base settings are only 1,2,3 and not 0,1,2,3,4.
The ID number (and I think order) doesn't matter as long as the frequencies you're monitoring have a base freq lower than them (hence the name "base"). Most WISCOM sites are below 162 MHz so you should be fine with the first 3 lines.

This is what I just got running Pro96Com which matches the offsets on page 70 of the owner's manual:

ID .. Base ....... Spacing ...... Offset
0. 138.0000 .... 12.5 kHz .... 0.00 MHz
1. 150.8150 ..... 7.5 kHz ..... 0.00 MHz
2. 154.6500 ..... 7.5 kHz ..... 0.00 MHz
3. 162.0000 .... 12.5 kHz .... 0.00 MHz
7. 851.00625 .. 6.25 KHz .. -45.00 MHz
If anyone can verify this it should be submitted to the DB.

You may also need the BC796DFirmwareUpdate for rebanding
Old 11-26-2013, 7:32 PM

That's what I needed SB. I'll give it a try in the morning. I got the 9 pin and usb cable from Newegg Monday to do the firmware update tomorrow also. Too tired to see the little numbers on the scanner display tonight! Ha!
Old 11-26-2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I got the 9 pin and usb cable from Newegg Monday to do the firmware update tomorrow also. Too tired to see the little numbers on the scanner display tonight! Ha!
Since you have the cable, you can program and control/log using software: Uniden Legacy Software Support - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM

During the weekly 08:30am Rcall21 test, Greenfield 705 came across TG21 and advised the Greenfield 800 site is up and running. Anyone in a better position to confirm that.

Tags