Milwaukee Cops suspened for discussing opensky problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkescan

WTMJ-AM’s John Jagler, reports Milwaukee Police Department Sergeant Willie Murphy has been suspended for 20 days without pay for openly discussing problems with the troubled system. According to Jagler, the officer sent a text message to fellow officers, expressing concern over the system’s flaws, and urging them to protest.
Jagler reports that the Milwaukee Common Council will discuss the officer’s suspension in a meeting tomorrow.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
OUCH ! Bad move on the PD to do that, makes it look like they are trying to cover up something. Then again, perhaps he should have discussed this with the union to then approach the PD for proper procedures.

But, if you think about it, he sent a text to fellow officers. What happens if he sends a text saying "Squad 221 has that rattle again, I wish they'd fix it". Does he get suspended then ?

I think the officer has a foot to stand on to fight it.

CrabbyMilton

Very unfortunate but, if you can't go around trying to fracture an organization and not expect some sort of punishment. There is a chain of command and proper ways of dealing with issues without going rouge. The chief is sadly aware of the disaster but you can't unbreak a light bulb.

mkescan

What people fail to understand is, the officers have been complaining to their bosses for about a year now, and they are told the vendor is working on the problems.Officers are really frustrated right now and pissed off.
Why couldn't MPD let officers use UHF until the OpenSky problems were fixed?
Now the Fire Dept will be installing OpenSky next month too. knowing about all the problems.

JamesPrine

Yes!

Very unfortunate but, if you can't go around trying to fracture an organization and not expect some sort of punishment. There is a chain of command and proper ways of dealing with issues without going rouge. The chief is sadly aware of the disaster but you can't unbreak a light bulb.

Yes, it's much better for a police department, and especially it's chief, Mayor, city council members, vendor, etc., to allow an Officer to get crippled or killed because he or she is trying to work with an unreliable communications system.

Remember, no one in a leadership position ever makes a mistake, or exhibits poor judgement, when it comes to purchasing equipment, especially if someone politically connected is the vendor, or pays the proper kick-backs, etc.

Making a complaint often means adverse job action for an Officer, no matter if the complaint is warranted or not.

Been there, done that.

Good for you, Sarge, it's no sin to stand up for your troops. I hope they toss this suspension and no bad feelings in the matter later on.

CrabbyMilton

James, I never suggested that leaders don't make mistakes. This stupid thing was in the works long before Ed Flynn became chief. Yes, they should be using the old system or MCTRS until this thing actually works as ordered. What this department and city for that matter is a mutiny. That'll empower criminals. It's easy to view things in hindsight but this may never have happened if Art Jones had become chief or at least if a new system was needed, it would not have been the worst of all. It sickens me that Milwaukee had to have 3 lousy chiefs in a row and when we finally get a good one, this has to happen.

JamesPrine

Ok

James, I never suggested that leaders don't make mistakes. This stupid thing was in the works long before Ed Flynn became chief. Yes, they should be using the old system or MCTRS until this thing actually works as ordered. What this department and city for that matter is a mutiny. That'll empower criminals. It's easy to view things in hindsight but this may never have happened if Art Jones had become chief or at least if a new system was needed, it would not have been the worst of all. It sickens me that Milwaukee had to have 3 lousy chiefs in a row and when we finally get a good one, this has to happen.

Well, I'm certainly not trying to empower criminals, I wore a badge for over 30 years and I've gotten to heartily dislike criminals, especially ones in positions of authority.

I do not know the people involved in this situation, but I have seen very similat situations, and suffered under them, too. I've lost colleagues thanks primarily to shoddy equipment, including 'maypop' tires, obsolete or poorly maintained vehicles, idiotic uniform requirements that looked 'cool' to city officials,outdated ammunition, etc.

I've seen good cops' careers sacrificed upon the altar of political correctness, or to protect 'connected' people.

And thank God I have also seen Supervisors and Chiefs fight the good fight to protect their people, knowing it would cost them personally and professionally.

I suspect the Sergeant here wasn't trying to 'mutiny' for his own sake as much as he was trying to protect his people and the people they strive to protect.

I just hope this all works out satisfactorly for all concerned, especially the Sergeant.

WIscannerguy24

Premium Subscriber
I heard part of why MPD switched to OpenSky was due to them not wanting the criminals listen in to the Police channels anymore, well if they wanted that I am sure encrypting all the UHF channels and new radio's would have been still far less money then what open sky has cost the city of milwaukee.

mkescan

I heard part of why MPD switched to OpenSky was due to them not wanting the criminals listen in to the Police channels anymore, well if they wanted that I am sure encrypting all the UHF channels and new radio's would have been still far less money then what open sky has cost the city of milwaukee.

Yeah the PIO said criminals use scanners to track officer locations so they can ambush them, I told her to show some proof and she couldn't. PIO also said they arrest a lot of drug dealers who have scanners.
Think about that..drug dealers with scanner got arrested, I guess they must not of been listening to scanner too much if they were busted.

Striker27

Open Sky Issues

Others have had problems with the open sky system (now owned by tyco as I understand)
For example:
On January 15, 2009, the State of New York terminated its contract with M/A-COM due to ongoing and unresolved deficiencies with the OpenSky system!

Status
Not open for further replies.