Wispern

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just moved up here to Madison from the Chicago area about 3 months ago and was surprised to find that WISPERN was not used at all, i have not heard any traffic ever. In illinois ISPERN is used quite frequently. My q is how do departments up here communicate with one another and in the case of a presuit how do units communicate? (i.e MPD to State?)

MADScan

First of all welcome to our fair city, secondly in terms of mpd/state patrol interop they really don't, its kinda a free for all. Secondly try point to point on 155.37 with a pl of 146.2, thats how most station to station communication is done (eg dane to iowa county). Happy scanning here in Americas Dairyland!

Last edited:

sfd119

I just moved up here to Madison from the Chicago area about 3 months ago and was surprised to find that WISPERN was not used at all, i have not heard any traffic ever. In illinois ISPERN is used quite frequently. My q is how do departments up here communicate with one another and in the case of a presuit how do units communicate? (i.e MPD to State?)

WISPERN is still used but there are other mutual aide channels too such as MARC 1/2, 3, 4, WEM, etc.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Area Codes:

WISPERN is mostly vacant of late. The days of WSP and counties moving pursuits from their F1 onto WISPERN are mostly long gone with few exceptions, and other traffic is significantly reduced from the light levels it once was. WSP has almost no traffic on it anymore as there really is no reason for it at this point in time. Our pursuits stay on the Post's dispatch channel and if there is coordination needed, it happens on Point or the phone. There are exceptions to this, but only a couple. There is almost no mutual aid traffic on WISPERN due to the addition of several other channels over the years. Various old-school WSP or county dispatchers will multicast on WISPERN sometimes for high profile ATL's, weather annoucements etc, but other than that it's ISPERN traffic from south of the border.

For what it's worth, at this point there are 26 VHF Mutual Aid channels available to public safety in this state. What WISPERN was 30 years ago, MARC 1 and MARC 2 are today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.