RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum

Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Wisconsin.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 2:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Milwaukee Rebanding/PRO-97 problem

Hi to all,

Please read my original post below, if you didn't read it already...

Since the recent re-banding of the Milwaukee County Trunked System, I've re-programmed the listed frequencies into my PRO-97 and then cloned the info into my PRO-2055. The problem I'm having is that the scanner gets 'hung up' on two splinter frequencies (862.xxxx, 862.xxxx)...neither of which are listed in the trunked system's list, and neither of which were programmed into my scanner. When this happens, it sounds like intermittent open squelch, and the display "flickers". My guess is that this happens whenever an agency transmits, but why would it get hung up on these two frequencies? Does/did anyone have anything like this happen to them? Any ideas as to how I could remedy this?

I have been hearing traffic on all talkgroups, but it does seem as if I'm not hearing everything...i.e., missing parts of a conversation on any given talk group.

My wife and I are planning on purchasing a newer scanner, probably one with P25 capabilities, and we are wondering if this would take care of it. I know it's not a P25 issue, but perhaps a firmware issue. Just spitballing...

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? Does the PRO-97 have the capability of firmware upgrades? Do I need one?
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2010, 9:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Doing just a quick check of the wiki page on the Pro-2055, it shows that the radio does NOT support rebanded trunked systems.

Pro-2055 - The RadioReference Wiki

My guess is that the scanner locks onto the new 85x.000 control channel, but since the firmware/bandplan doesn't recognize the data stream as a rebanded system, the scanner thinks some of the voice channels are still in the 86x.000 MHz range.

Sorry to say that this radio won't be much use for the MCTRS anymore. I highly recommend the Uniden line for ease of programming, user friendliness and performance.
Old 11-02-2010, 9:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Pro-97 also does NOT support rebanded systems.

Pro-97 - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1emt View Post
Doing just a quick check of the wiki page on the Pro-2055, it shows that the radio does NOT support rebanded trunked systems.

Pro-2055 - The RadioReference Wiki

My guess is that the scanner locks onto the new 85x.000 control channel, but since the firmware/bandplan doesn't recognize the data stream as a rebanded system, the scanner thinks some of the voice channels are still in the 86x.000 MHz range.

Sorry to say that this radio won't be much use for the MCTRS anymore. I highly recommend the Uniden line for ease of programming, user friendliness and performance.
Well, that sucks. OK, which scanner would you recommend? And, is Milwaukee Co. going P25 anytime soon? If I can avoid spending $550, at least for now, I'd like to.

THANK YOU for responding to my question, I appreciate it!
Old 11-03-2010, 8:42 PM

Since I understand none of the rebanding firmware etc stuff, is there anywhere within reasonable distance of Milwaukee I can just take my BCT8 to and have all the necessary stuff done to it in order to once again listen to Milw. Co.?
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2010, 8:51 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve03CVPI View Post
Since I understand none of the rebanding firmware etc stuff, is there anywhere within reasonable distance of Milwaukee I can just take my BCT8 to and have all the necessary stuff done to it in order to once again listen to Milw. Co.?
BCT8FirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Old 11-04-2010, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkescan View Post
Yes, I am well aware of that, but I have no idea what 99 percent of that stuff means
Old 11-10-2010, 6:16 PM

After my city rebanded "JOLIET ILL" its Motorola TYPE11 analog system i had to change to the rebanded freqys, next you must have the "rebanding menu" in the scanner so you can change it to "Custom Rebanding", then input the new CHlo-CHhi-etc custom rebanding tables...If you have a 396t or 246xt, the older models you must upgrade the firmware off the Uniden site to get the rebanding menu...The scanner chooses the wrong Motorola #ing freqy order resulting in "flickering" freqys and no audio which was the case here....After installing the two tables in the menu the scanner works great....On the GRE/RS models and 396xt/996xt it can be done by hand....Check the proper forums on radioreference.com as the info is there....
Old 11-10-2010, 6:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve03CVPI View Post
Yes, I am well aware of that, but I have no idea what 99 percent of that stuff means
Steve03CVPI, I'm in Hartland... I can flash and reprogram for you if we can work out a time/place to meet up. PM me.
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2010, 7:51 PM

I noticed that my scanner is not receiving the Milwaukee Trunked system anymore. It took me a while to figure out (and an email to WAPD) that the reband process went through. I was reading in this forum about the control sets and was confused by them. I scan exclusively the West Allis PD and a few special investigation channels. Don't I have to just update the frequencies on my scanner to the new frequencies? Any idea of anybody or company that will do this for me in the West Allis area? I have a Radioshack scanner that does support the reband. I even have the USB cable for software somewere. I was using arc300 and have that database. Just don't know what I need to change. My arc300 software expired also which makes it more complicated.