RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum

Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Wisconsin.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp3244 View Post
I'm debating on breaking down and buying a Unication G5. If anyone has another antenna I should maybe try with my HP2 I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll deal with the limitations of the G5 (I've heard it's not "really a scanner").

The Unication G5 performs great on DaneCom! Even with 'limitations', the setup of zones / scan lists and knob positions allow a LOT of flexibility. The clear audio and complete immunity to the simulcast issues make it a winner! Check out www.p25pagers.com, a Wisconsin dealer with great pricing on the G5's.
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2017, 8:54 PM

Broke down and bought myself a Christmas present - a used Unication G5 on eBay. Programming was not a big deal at all since I had read up on DaneCom, its control frequencies, talk groups, etc ahead of time. The programming software was a little funky but not bad.

Wow. I had no idea what I was missing messing around with the HomePatrol2 via various antennas, etc. I get so much loud and clear traffic on DaneCom via the G5 (mostly Dane County Sheriff 1 and Madison PD A1/A3) it's hard to keep up with it. I can actually get the small down PDs too (DeForest, Waunakee, etc) loud and clear too which is nice.

I was getting Dane Country Sheriff 1 previously on the HP2, but only on WISCOM and only with an exterior antenna .... I'm convinced I was only hearing less than 50% of the transmissions there too (I would often hear only one side of a conversation with the HP2).

It's so nice to not have to use an external antenna - the G5 "just works" almost anywhere you put it, driving around in the car, etc.

One downside - I do not believe the G5 can pick up the analog trunked stuff in Madison (Madison Area Public Safety - Motorola Type II Smartnet). Can anyone confirm the G5 doesn't have this capability? For now I'm keeping the HP2 so I can listen to the stuff from Madison that isn't patched through DaneCom (i.e. tactical channels, CPT, NGTF, etc).

Also I really like the form factor of the G5 - nice and compact and sturdy.
Old 12-17-2017, 2:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Broke down and bought myself a Christmas present - a used Unication G5 on eBay. Programming was not a big deal at all since I had read up on DaneCom, its control frequencies, talk groups, etc ahead of time. The programming software was a little funky but not bad.

Wow. I had no idea what I was missing messing around with the HomePatrol2 via various antennas, etc. I get so much loud and clear traffic on DaneCom via the G5 (mostly Dane County Sheriff 1 and Madison PD A1/A3) it's hard to keep up with it. I can actually get the small down PDs too (DeForest, Waunakee, etc) loud and clear too which is nice.

I was getting Dane Country Sheriff 1 previously on the HP2, but only on WISCOM and only with an exterior antenna .... I'm convinced I was only hearing less than 50% of the transmissions there too (I would often hear only one side of a conversation with the HP2).

It's so nice to not have to use an external antenna - the G5 "just works" almost anywhere you put it, driving around in the car, etc.

One downside - I do not believe the G5 can pick up the analog trunked stuff in Madison (Madison Area Public Safety - Motorola Type II Smartnet). Can anyone confirm the G5 doesn't have this capability? For now I'm keeping the HP2 so I can listen to the stuff from Madison that isn't patched through DaneCom (i.e. tactical channels, CPT, NGTF, etc).

Also I really like the form factor of the G5 - nice and compact and sturdy.

You are correct, the G5 does not decode analog trunking systems, like Smartnet. MSN is going P25, so in the future the G5 will be useful there as well.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 PM

One thing I'm noticing with the G5 is that I intermittently do not get Madison PD 1 (Madison PD A1 Link, Talkgroup 13601). I do reliably get Madison PD 3 (13603)

When 13601 goes quiet on the G5 I can still concurrently see the traffic on this channel on my HomePatrol2 - on both the 800MHz trunked motorola as well as DaneCom.... so I am pretty sure it's not on DaneCom's side. I drove to an area where the HP2 gets a good DaneCom signal (Middleton) and verified the 2 units side by side. G5 was getting PD 3 only (no PD1) while HP2 got both PD1 and PD3.)

I've tried re-flashing the firmware, changing control channels, and deleting re-adding the TGIDs in PPS with no success. Some days I hear PD 1 on both the G5 and HP2, other times only on the HP2.

I am using the Michigan PPS and R11P firmware... not sure if this is a firmware issue or what. Any thoughts out there?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:11 PM

One thing I just thought of - I wonder if Madison PD A1 is intermittently going out as P25 Phase 2 (which the G5 doesn't receive yet but the HP2 does) and other times as Phase 1? I noticed earlier in this thread that someone mentioned the Madison FD is going out as Phase 2 sometimes.

I also noticed that, during these episodes, even if I put the G5 in "Monitor" mode I still don't get the PD A1 traffic.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2018, 12:32 AM

My issues with getting Madison PD A1 in over DaneCom on my G5 seem to have been resolved - I've consistently gotten the channel in for the last 3 weeks or so without changing anything on my end. Wonder if somebody "pushed the wrong button" and briefly made PD A1 broadcast as Phase 2 for a couple days last month, then realized their mistake and "un-pushed" the button.

Have to say I'm overall very happy with the G5. Sure wish they would add a Talkgroup Hold button at some point - that's my only significant complaint. There are some minor quibbles too such as the unit getting into a bad state once in a while and needing to be reset. From what I've gathered this is the only unit in this price range that can reliably pick up DaneCom.

Random Comment - I was at the MSN airport the other day and was eyeing up the radios on a Sheriff's deputy's duty belt. Looked like he had two distinct radios (two separate units w/ antennas) - both Motorola, one with a longer antenna than the other. I assumed the unit with the longer antenna (which appeared to have the remote shoulder mic/speaker connected) is the primary DaneCom radio. Wonder what the second is for?
Old 01-15-2018, 8:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Regarding the second radio for the deputy, I'm assuming that the second radio is for airport ops
Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 AM

Been listening frequently on my G5 for the last 3 months with the firmware Unication released in 1/2018. Overall a good experience. As detailed in my previous postes, MPD A1/A3 come in most of the time.... but occasionally don't. No problems with any other channels.

Just sent my G5 in for the Phase 2 upgrade. Even though it's not strictly needed right now, kinda wondering if it will fix the intermittency on MPD A1/A3. Will report back after I get my G5 back next week to see if I see any more MPD A1/A3 dropouts.

On somewhat related news, I read something on DaneCom's website saying Madison PD is upgrading to their own P25 supposedly this month? MPD still comes in on analog on my HomePatrol 2 just fine (with the usual analog static/etc) as of today, so not sure if they kept an analog patch, or if the upgrade got delayed.....

Last edited by tp3244; 04-25-2018 at 12:14 AM..
Old 04-25-2018, 6:58 AM
MN & WI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Been listening frequently on my G5 for the last 3 months with the firmware Unication released in 1/2018. Overall a good experience. As detailed in my previous postes, MPD A1/A3 come in most of the time.... but occasionally don't. No problems with any other channels.

Just sent my G5 in for the Phase 2 upgrade. Even though it's not strictly needed right now, kinda wondering if it will fix the intermittency on MPD A1/A3. Will report back after I get my G5 back next week to see if I see any more MPD A1/A3 dropouts.

On somewhat related news, I read something on DaneCom's website saying Madison PD is upgrading to their own P25 supposedly this month? MPD still comes in on analog on my HomePatrol 2 just fine (with the usual analog static/etc) as of today, so not sure if they kept an analog patch, or if the upgrade got delayed.....

The Madison P25 system is on the air as users transition, all talkgroups are patched across right now so you could use your G5 on it now. The system is listed in the DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 1:49 PM

So as I mentioned, I often listen to the MPD A1 and A3 patches from the Madison Public Safety System into Danecom. Mainly because I want to hear Madison PD dispatch along with Dane County Sheriff without having to change systems (my G5 only supports 1 system at a time without flipping the knob).

Seems in the last few days the MPD A1/A3 patches into DaneCom have analog sounding static coming through. Almost as if the patch isn't coming through digitally anymore, but rather through an analog connection.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 07-11-2018, 2:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
So as I mentioned, I often listen to the MPD A1 and A3 patches from the Madison Public Safety System into Danecom. Mainly because I want to hear Madison PD dispatch along with Dane County Sheriff without having to change systems (my G5 only supports 1 system at a time without flipping the knob).

Seems in the last few days the MPD A1/A3 patches into DaneCom have analog sounding static coming through. Almost as if the patch isn't coming through digitally anymore, but rather through an analog connection.

Anyone else notice this?
I was coming through last night during the Incident in Sun Prairie and i could hear that clearly
Old 07-11-2018, 3:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default MPD-01 / MPD A-03 on DaneCom

The (over the air) connection for those two Madison resources on DaneCom use the old Madison P16 TRS for TX/RX via DaneCom. As Madison decommissions their P16 infrastructure, the audio quality will degrade. However, the ISSI will soon (perhaps in a week or so) be used for those resources which will restore audio quality.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 PM

Danecom - wow, thanks for the detailed response from someone who knows! I'm guessing Madison is turning off the old P16 towers one by one and whatever tower with analog antenna that Danecom is using to patch into their system now has to talk to a tower further away / with less signal available, resulting in more static on the patch?

Also, while we've got ya - on a related subject can you confirm how much of Danecom (and what channels) go out as P25 Phase 2, and how many/which are Phase 1?
Old 07-12-2018, 7:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

tp3244 - your guess is correct reference the current way MPD-01 / MPD-03 are brought into DaneCom is correct.

As far as how much traffic is P2 on the system . . . not much. The frequently-used talk groups will remain P1 only for quite some time. It is possible that certain talk groups could go out phase 2, as long as every radio affiliated to that talk group is phase 2 capable. All it takes is one radio that's not phase 2 capable to cause the entire talk group to revert to phase 1. Given the cost of buying a phase 2 radio or feature-upgrading a phase 1, there will be a lot of phase 1 only radios remaining on the system for the foreseeable future.

Sure, the system can be told to use phase 2 only and not allow phase 1 radios to affiliate, but that's not going to happen any time soon.
Old 07-13-2018, 2:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

During the Sun Prairie incident the IFERN patch was 100% P2. I assume that TG is forced but no P1 radios were monitoring it. I was mildly annoyed watching it pop up all night, and kept hoping someone would tune their radio in so it would drop to P1.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

IFERN1 should now be pushed out Phase 1.
Old 07-13-2018, 8:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Excellent. I haven't been monitoring DaneCom since shortly after it went live, but from my quick look this week it seems like not much has changed. I'm working on getting set back up at least monitor DaneCom and the new Madison system which I haven't really looked into at all.