RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum

Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Wisconsin.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 12:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Any update on the burn in or go live dates?
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2014, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm looking at mid to late summer for a go-live timeframe. I don't have enough info on the status of the mutual aid subsystem to make a more accurate prediction yet. P25 is all but ready to go. We're waiting on the (conventional) mutual aid subsystem to be ready prior to pulling the trigger to go live on P25.

Burn-In would be 30 days prior to go-live, provided there aren't any issues that happen during burn-in that would require a re-start of the entire 30-day burn-in period.
Old 05-06-2014, 8:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just curious, but what`ll happen to the current Dane County TRS after the switchover to Danecom? That one gonna go away for good or will they still use it? N9NRA
Old 05-06-2014, 8:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

DaneCom is for county and suburban units--City of Madison will continue on their 800 TRS.
Old 05-08-2014, 5:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Any idea if DaneCom or Madison will have any links to WISCOM or if they will be completely separate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2014, 7:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

DaneCom radios will work and be setup on WISCOM so no need to have links there. DaneCom and the City 800 systems will have permanent patches/interfaces with County ch A & City Fire ch 1 Admin and Sheriff ch 1 & PD Dispatch 1 and 3. I assume the Dane Scan talkgroup on WISCOM will continue but I'm not aware of any other links to either DaneCom or the City. This is from secondhand and somewhat dated information so correct me if I'm wrong--I'd like to know too.
Old 05-09-2014, 9:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

There will be some links between DaneCom & WISCOM (TBD) with the ultimate goal of seamless roaming of a radio between the two systems. This will allow a user to enter a low or no DaneCom coverage area and roam onto WISCOM without the user having to touch the channel knob on their radio. Other interfaces will eventually be able to be done 'on the fly' to enhance/compliment WISCOM coverage for events happening in Dane County (RTACs, etc). Seamless roaming is a ways off from becoming reality, but the interfaces between WISCOM & DaneCom continue to be a work in progress.

Below are the permenantly linked TGs between the Madison 800 & DaneCom systems:

Madison PD A01 (DaneCom TG 13601)
Madison PD A03 (DaneCom TG 13603)
Madison FD A01 (DaneCom TG 13638 - inbound to DaneCom only. No outbound traffic from DaneCom)
Madison PD A16 (DaneCom TG 13626)
DALAW1 (DaneCom TG 13001)
DAMIPD (DaneCom TG 13121)
DASNPD1 (DaneCom TG 13181)
DAFBPD1 (DaneCom TG 13102)
daADAM (DaneCom TG 13061) the DaneCom lettered fire/EMS TGs are in the process of
being renamed. This TG was previously known as DAFIREA)

There are about 40 additional Madison TRS TGs that DaneCom will have the ability to access as well, but those TGs are not permenantly patched and will have to be set up by dispatchers on the fly, patching those TGs in with an existing DaneCom TG.

Also, as far as I know, the DASCAN WISCOM TG will remain.
Old 05-09-2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danecom View Post
Below are the permenantly linked TGs between the Madison 800 & DaneCom systems:
A few of those Madison channels can be fairly active - any concern with that causing capacity issues on the DaneCom side (or vice-versa)?

Thanks for posting and being active here!
Old 05-09-2014, 8:06 PM

Will the hospitals be P25 as well? We go into madison quite a bit and are on some of dane co mabas cards, will we have to buy different radios?
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014, 3:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: DaneCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmedjoe View Post
Will the hospitals be P25 as well? We go into madison quite a bit and are on some of dane co mabas cards, will we have to buy different radios?
They will have talkgroups on DaneCom similar to the City 800 system but the Comm Center will be able to patch the analog tac channels like they do now.
Old 05-10-2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I'd recommend you discuss this with your agency's management and make an official inquiry with Dane County communication leaders as to how your agency will communicate to hospitals in Dane County.
Old 05-12-2014, 7:47 AM
Database Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: DaneCom

Quote:
I believe they are putting in EMS-B receivers. If you have MABAS box cards for Dane County a response should be done on IFERN. With these new systems these interop channels are going to become very important.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytwo View Post
A few of those Madison channels can be fairly active - any concern with that causing capacity issues on the DaneCom side (or vice-versa)?

Thanks for posting and being active here!
System loading always bears watching, but we don't believe introducing the mentioned channels / TGs to DaneCom P25 will be problematic. I have the luxury of being able to load the system virtually 'at will' currently and can monitor real traffic statistics during this pre-go live time.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Each main Madison hospital will have it's own talk group on DaneCom. That talk group will be used for patient reports from inbound ambulances as H-Henry or State EMS / EMS-B does today. Inbound ambulances will have the ability to directly call these hospitals using the correct hospital talk group.

For units that do not have access to the DaneCom P25 network, they will continue to use EMS-B (formerly known as State EMS) and the Comm Center can patch EMS-B in with the desired hospital talk group.
Old 05-14-2014, 9:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hey danecom thank you for all the information about the new Dane County Radio System, I am wondering will the Uniden BCD396XT be able to monitor DANECOM? I know when the initial testing was going on I would see talkgroups appear very sporadic but no Audio, I believe this may have been addressed earlier but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks Joe Curtis
Waukesha, WI
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2014, 10:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm in the same boat with my 396XT - sporadic audio, but it seems TG IDs show up (sometimes). I haven't had much time to troubleshoot it. I did some searching earlier this year and someone had mentioned adjusting some 'hidden' settings on the 396XT:

1. Turn the scanner on by pushing the 'HOLD' and power buttons at the same time
2. The scanner's display with change colors a few times & then boot as normal
3. Go to MENU > SETTINGS and find two additional settings on the list
A. P25 Adjust Mode
B. P25 Adjust Level
4. That's as far as I got, but I recall reading that some users had success for LSC P25 systems by setting the P25 adjust mode to 8, if it isn't already set that way.

When you power-cycle the 396XT, those two additional setting disappear from the list, but whatever you set the levels to previously seems to stick.

If I get some time to play around with my 396XT, I'll post anything I discover.
Old 05-16-2014, 9:08 PM
Database Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by danecom View Post
There will be some links between DaneCom & WISCOM (TBD) with the ultimate goal of seamless roaming of a radio between the two systems. This will allow a user to enter a low or no DaneCom coverage area and roam onto WISCOM without the user having to touch the channel knob on their radio. Other interfaces will eventually be able to be done 'on the fly' to enhance/compliment WISCOM coverage for events happening in Dane County (RTACs, etc). Seamless roaming is a ways off from becoming reality, but the interfaces between WISCOM & DaneCom continue to be a work in progress.
The problem with this is that it is not possible in the radios, it could be if the system ID's were the same. The county system should service the county in my opinion. If Tue county wanted to fall back on WISCOM they should have just joined it. Some outlying agencies are going to be left with worse coverage than they currently have at the end of the day.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0wkp View Post
The problem with this is that it is not possible in the radio

<snip>
Look at P25 ISSI.

No, it's not here now, but danecom also said the same - it's a work in progress.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Database Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I understand P25 ISSI, but for the radio to do it without any changes made by the user is not possible. Changing to the WISCOM vs DaneCom talk group will work fine. Same way the tie between ARMER and WISCOM will work you have to change to that talk group on the particular system. Your radio will not choose which system is best, your radio will try the system that the talk group is programmed for. If it finds nothing then it will hopefully tell you before you need it.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was wondering why Verona PD/PW was not listed as having their own talkgroups on the DaneCom system as well as WISCOM...??? Just curious
Tnx
Kevin
KF9AQ