Noobi -Milwaukee - 852 vs 154?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer99

Premium Subscriber
I havent had a scanner since I had to buy crystals at RadioShack.
There was a great deal on a BCD996XT that I couldnt pass up. Wow. I'm dazed and confused.
I'm making my way thru the manuals, documentation, etc.
And I have successfully figured out how to scan for public safety!

I'm seeing a lot of activity in the 800's . But when I look online most of the freq are in the 150 - 160 range for Milwaukee.
Is there a listing for the 800's somewhere?

How do I know if I should set up a certain type (analog, digital, etc), or does the scanner take care of that?

I'm an old Amateur radio operator (N9BCV) but havent been active for a while.

Thanks,
Jerry

WIscannerguy24

Premium Subscriber
If your wanting to listen to City of Milwaukee Police Department or Milwaukee Fire Department your out of luck, they are on 800Mhz but they are on a trunked radio system called Open Sky which can't be monitored with any scanner on the market today. But if you want to monitor anything else outside of the City of Milwaukee in Milwaukee County they are all are on an analog 800mhz Trunked radio system which is currently a Motorola Smartnet II system but in the next few years Milwaukee County will be migrating to a P25 Digital Trunked radio system in partnership with Waukesha County.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing a lot of activity in the 800's . But when I look online most of the freq are in the 150 - 160 range for Milwaukee.
Is there a listing for the 800's somewhere?

Most of the activity on the 800 band is trunking. Those systems are listed at the bottom of the database page Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (WI) Scanner Frequencies. No scanner can monitor OpenSky, TRBO, DMR, NXDN, iDEN, or track Passport systems but the 996XT can handle everything else.

Check these pages for more info:
BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki
Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki
Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

How do I know if I should set up a certain type (analog, digital, etc), or does the scanner take care of that?

Since you're a premium subscriber, you can download directly from the database into programming software like FreeSCAN or ARC-XT and not need to worry about the settings.
Uniden DMA Software Support - The RadioReference Wiki

jer99

Premium Subscriber
That's a bummer. Seems it was almost easier with the crystals...almost.
I'm going to be loading from Freescan once the appropriate cable comes from Uniden.
It seems that I had some waukesha activity last night on the 852 area. Yet I dont see that listed either.
Is there waukesha sheriff on the 800's?

sfd119

That's a bummer. Seems it was almost easier with the crystals...almost.
I'm going to be loading from Freescan once the appropriate cable comes from Uniden.
It seems that I had some waukesha activity last night on the 852 area. Yet I dont see that listed either.
Is there waukesha sheriff on the 800's?

...if you bought a new Uniden scanner, it should have come with the cable you need.

jer99

Premium Subscriber
its been a few days and although I still dont know how to add a specific frequency to the FreeScan import, I'm disappointed that it appears I can not get Police & Fire.
I live in Waukesha and it appears everything listed for waukesha, new berlin, muskego, etc is all ambulance, buses and road crews.
Are there any frequencies that I should be paying attention to that have Police or Fire?
Am I missing something?

WQJQ863

Can't Follow Simple Instructions
Banned
This is to ger99 I live in waukesha and id be more than happy to help assist programming your scanner send me a pm on here

kylem1229

Premium Subscriber
I have the freescan files for Waukesha and Milwaukee County 800's if you would like me to try and send them.

Status
Not open for further replies.