Any Groups Local to the Oconomowoc Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to radio in general and hoping to meet some people who can answer some basic questions and give guidance on some of the goals I have for the hobby.

Are there any "user groups" in Oconomowoc or the Lake Country area in general?

Thanks

WIscannerguy24

Premium Subscriber
Hello my name is Joe and I live in Waukesha and I am been using a scanner and been interested in radio since 2002 so about 12 years. What questions do you have? I am willing to answer your questions you have regarding the hobby

I've been a software engineer for over 20 years and I've self-taught almost everything I know. My methodology is very straight-forward: get the most basic, yet useful, example of a given technology up and running and then build upon it.

I'd like to, and have tried in the past, implement this technique to the radio hobby (for lack of a better term). Past attempts have ended in debates over what is simple or useful and what the best way of going about this sort of thing are, but I'll try again.

I guess I'd say my basic goal is two-way comms in roughly a 200 mile radius, although I'd be willing to start with a more modest goal if necessary.

With that in mind, I want to get the most simple setup possible to accomplish that goal which, I presume, would include a radio, an antenna and any required licenses/certifications.

We can start there and move forward...hopefully.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

shadcall

Steve,
First off welcome to the hobby and to Radio Reference. I see in your response that you are interested in two-way communications suggesting that you are interested in Ham or Amateur radio as opposed to simply listening on a scanner. I found this radio club near you (Watertown) and I know they would be more than happy to talk to you about getting into the hobby. The second link is from the Radio Reference database of licensed amateurs in your town. I am sure any of them would also be willing to talk to you.

Watertown Amateur Radio Club, UA
Amateur Radio callsigns in zip code 53066

Thanks for the info Shadcall, I'll look into the club in Watertown, that's not too far from me.

There sure are a lot of local operators, unfortunately, those profiles don't have any contact information.

Thanks again!

shadcall

Thanks for the info Shadcall, I'll look into the club in Watertown, that's not too far from me.

There sure are a lot of local operators, unfortunately, those profiles don't have any contact information.

Thanks again!

Steve, if you click on the call sign in the left hand column it will bring up their address. From there you could look them up in your local phone book and give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.