Advice on digital scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

simalyn

My stepdad has always enjoyed this hobby, but he tells me that Brown County, WI / Green Bay, WI has gone digital and the basic scanner he has had for years no longer works. I don't know a thing about police scanners, but have heard that even some of the digital scanners now do not pick up the needed frequencies for him to continue this hobby. He asked me to look into it more, and I tried, but the internet information has a lot of scanner jargon I do not understand.

Can anyone tell me if a digital police scanner will pick up the frequencies in Green Bay / Brown County, WI. And if so, which scanner do you recommend?

Premium Subscriber
My stepdad has always enjoyed this hobby, but he tells me that Brown County, WI / Green Bay, WI has gone digital and the basic scanner he has had for years no longer works. I don't know a thing about police scanners, but have heard that even some of the digital scanners now do not pick up the needed frequencies for him to continue this hobby. He asked me to look into it more, and I tried, but the internet information has a lot of scanner jargon I do not understand.

Can anyone tell me if a digital police scanner will pick up the frequencies in Green Bay / Brown County, WI. And if so, which scanner do you recommend?

Yes a digital scanner can pick up Brown county system however there are reports of simulcast distortion by some scanning that system http://forums.radioreference.com/wisconsin-radio-discussion-forum/292861-brown-county-siren-system.html

Have heard other people say they pick it up just fine. Since he's new to trunked and digital you could try picking up a home patrol scanner on ebay. About the easiest to program out the gate and if it's used not as big an investment if the distortion is bad where your stepdad lives. Just my two cents

kb8zxe

You might be able to get a scanner working okay by finding the right spot on a table or desk. If your step dad wants to carry it around with him in his car..etc. it probably won't work well. I usually recommend listening to the on-line feed vs buying a scanner for most people asking me about Brown County. You will almost have to try it to see if it works out, of course you can still listen to the WISCOM state digital system if you buy a digital scanner. WISCOM is not simulcast in Brown County and does not suffer from the poor audio.

simalyn, PM me and I can share some additional info with you.

Bob

simalyn

Bob,
I'm new to this site and do not know what you mean by PM. I would be looking for a stationary scanner for my stepdad, he just likes to listen from home. If you have more information or any specific scanners you recommend I would be interested!

simalyn

I would prefer to stay away from ebay because the returns (if needed) may prove more difficult. I am looking for a stationary scanner for his home. Are those models you provided all for the car?

kb9mwr

As mentioned for Brown County, the 700 MHz system uses simulcast and that is a problem for most scanners and people.

See this thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/wi...61-brown-county-siren-system.html#post2204990

There have been some new scanners on the market that I have been wondering if they would work here.

So I can't tell you what I'd recommend, just what I have confirmed are problematic with the simulcast system:
Uniden Home Patrol
Uniden 396
GRE/RS Pro-106
GRE/RS Pro-197

If you or anyone else try's a different model, please share your experiences. While I have a solution for listening myself, it's not practical for most people. So I'd like to get an idea of what does work and what doesn't for when people ask me for advice.

Last edited:

n9upc

I am in Green Bay now (actually De Pere/Green Bay) and I am using a Uniden 436HP to monitor the SIREN (Green Bay/Brown Co), Outagamie/Winnebago system, the Onieda Systems, and WISCOM System (De Pere Site). These are a 700 Mhz digital Simulcast system, an 800 Mhz digital Simulcast System, 800 Mhz analog trunked system (Type II), and a VHF digital Trunked system.

I had one tiny spot where it was a simulcast distortion because I have a wide band hi-gain scanner antenna for VHF - 800 Mhz. Since the Uniden 436HP has a SMA connector (like amateur radio antennas) I use a short VHF/UHF rubber duck type antenna. This gives a good amount of attenuation for 700/800 and the gain I need for VHF.

I like the 436HP (and so does my wife) as it can be programmed by zipcode if needed. I also like that you have the free software on the SD card in the scanner right away and use a simple USB to Mini-usb cable. Programming is simply a drag and drop type set-up on the computer.

Just my two cents...

nikegolf384

N9UPC thank you for the detailed response. I"m in Little Chute and contemplating a purchase of 436HP but wasn't sure how well it worked in our area. Are you able to monitor all three of those systems from your home location and also mobile? I tend to have my scanner in my vehicle with me using a mobile antenna so just curious how it handles those systems when mobile. Also have you noticed if WSP has switched to Wiscom on the Depere site yet? Thanks for any input.

n9upc

No problem on the comment and review on the system and the 436HP. From where I am at in Outagamie, about 5 to 6 miles form Brown, I can receive Onieda, SIREN (Brown), and Outagamie. The trick with Outagamie to make sure you have both the Outagamie and Winneabgo trunked freqs in your scanner. If you don't it seems that it will not trunked or get the best reception on the system.

In addition I also bought a small moblie/HT mag mount antenna with some cable like RG-159 that has an SMA connector on it. I hook this up to my scanner when I am going down the road in a mobile setting. The antenna is a small little flexible one that is a dual band antenna. It does double duty as a scanner antenna, HT antenna, and mobile antenna if needed.

Good luck and enjoy scanning the system(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.