I miss the State Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaukScanR

Feed Provider
I was wondering why I no longer hear anything from the State patrol, until I read on here about WISCOM.
It sounds like I can resume monitoring them if I buy an SDR, and install DSD+.

Is there more I need to know? I'll be doing some reading today on SDR's.

I know the Lake Delton PD is also using P25, but I believe that is encoded?

djeplett

I don't know about Lake Delton but yes if you get DSD+ up and running you will hear lots of stuff including the State PD, depending on what towers are near you and what agencies are using the system.

w9bsd

I'm using a pair of RTL SDR dongles with Unitrunker to monitor WISCOM and it works very well. You'll need two, one for the control channel and one for the voice channel.

The Baraboo site is good for the State Patrol as you'll usually always get DeForest Post and Tomah Post. I haven't monitored it that much (I get better reception from the Madison 800 site at my location), but I've heard Wausau Post, too, along with Iowa County and some others.

SaukScanR

Feed Provider
Thank you both for replying. Very helpful. Sounds much cheaper than picking up a digital scanner!

w9bsd, can I ask which SDR you would recommend?

w9bsd

I'm using the RTL-SDR Blog version 3, purchased from Amazon. They've worked good for me so far with the just the supplied antenna stuck to a coffee can. I'm planning to get a couple more and hook them up to a couple attic-mounted antennas for 800 and VHF.

ffmedjoe

If you are listening to the baraboo tower you should receive Sauk Scan, Baraboo Fire, BDAS, Sauk Common, Sauk Travel, Juneau Co, Iowa Co, WSP Deforest and WSP Tomah. You won't hear much of anything on Sauk Common or Travel. Common is sometimes used for radio testing (at least by us.) As for Lake Delton, I know they are P25 analog but I don't think they are encrypted.

KC9UNK

Baraboo tower

I know for the last few months I've been listening to Sauk Scan on wiscom and there's never anyone on their except the sheriff's office. You don't get any other dept and not a single FD or EMS. I think Baraboo PD might talk up here and there. Sauk SO units are 9100s and Baraboo are 200's

ffmedjoe

I know for the last few months I've been listening to Sauk Scan on wiscom and there's never anyone on their except the sheriff's office. You don't get any other dept and not a single FD or EMS. I think Baraboo PD might talk up here and there. Sauk SO units are 9100s and Baraboo are 200's

"Sauk Scan" is a direct patch of Sauk sheriffs repeater. You will hear the following.

Sauk Prairie PD 40's-60's
Lake Delton PD 100-125
LaValle PD 130's
Baraboo PD 201-230
Ho Chunk from time to time
Devils Lake from time to time
Sheriffs Dept.
1-99 Command Staff
9100's Patrol Deputys
9300's Jailers
9500's Dispatchers
9800's Transports

Every now and then you will hear a fire unit on Sheriff if they cant get through on their repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.