Status
Not open for further replies.

newald

Article from Rhinelander Daily News - 12/1/07

New towers will improve communications

Last edited by a moderator:

aaknitt

Feed Provider
They've needed something better in the west end of the county for a long time. The Law repeater doesn't reach out that far...deputies in that area end up using the Cassian fire repeater to talk to dispatch. I'm glad most counties in WI are proactive in their communications systems. Around here it's "narrow-what??"

Andy

citylink_uk

Database Admin
It may not be news but the following press release has appeared on the Tait website:

Flexibility and scalability drives Wisconsin Sheriff Department’s selection of Tait P25 Simulcast network

HOUSTON , TX (October 2007) – Tait Radio Communications has been awarded a contract to install its TaitNet P25 VHF Simulcast network solution for Oneida County, Wisconsin. Tait Radio Communications’ Tait TB8100 and TB9100 base stations configured in a P25 Simulcast mode will be implemented throughout the seven site county-wide area in a hybrid P25 digital and analog solution.

According to Bill Fredrickson, President of Tait Radio Communications North America, Inc., the TaitNet P25 system was chosen by the Oneida County Sheriff Department for its flexibility to handle analog and digital users seamlessly on one platform and its scalability in size and function. With the contract in place, Tait expects installation of the system to begin in the fourth quarter of 2007.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Oneida county was scheduled to start switching to the new system in July and the Sheriff's department should be migrating to P25 this month (August). Anyone in the area have any updates?

triryche

Premium Subscriber
I was told there was some migration taking place within the last couple of weeks but I was not able to copy anything from north eastern Marinette County.. I'll be heading a little farther west toward that area this weekend and will investigate..

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Premium Subscriber
tait

im not familiar with tait p25... Will you be able to listen to this on a p25 capable scanner or is tait's p25 some proprietary system
???

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
P25

im not familiar with tait p25... Will you be able to listen to this on a p25 capable scanner or is tait's p25 some proprietary system
???

Hey there evilbrad, P25 is an open source digital voice protocall used (primarily, for now at least) on the Public Safty channels (some of `em anyway). You will need a scanner capabile of decoding the P25 data, and there are a good number of units out there that will do it, for example, i have the BCD396T, which can copy P25 conventional and trunked. If ya don`t have a scanner that has this abaility, you should give some of these new units a good look, i`m very happy with my `396, and the audio on P25 channels isn`t half bad ether. Hope that answers it for ya. Good scanning. N9NRA P.S. Forgot to add, with P25 the range might be a bit shorter for recieve than Analog due to fact that P25 requires less power to send it, and the bandwith is narrower than Analog as well :).

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Premium Subscriber
digital p25

my reason for asking is that some companys have there own version so to speak of digital....
I just wanted to know if Tait used the same standard as others. Im lukewarm about the 396 I have. it doesnt seem to do that great decoding audio on starcom. Im not currently using it it has a loose connection on the stupid sma connector on the inside... soon to be replaced

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I also have the `396T, and i think it does a pretty good job on P25 myself. Granted the audio does sound a smidgen "processed", but i don`t have a real problem with it. Yeah, i wouldn`t mind if the P25 audio were a tad better, but i`ll take what i can get. At least i can monitor some of the stuff i was listening to before it went digital again, which is nice. N9NRA

citylink_uk

Database Admin
my reason for asking is that some companys have there own version so to speak of digital....
I just wanted to know if Tait used the same standard as others. Im lukewarm about the 396 I have. it doesnt seem to do that great decoding audio on starcom. Im not currently using it it has a loose connection on the stupid sma connector on the inside... soon to be replaced

Tait P25 is completely compatible with all true P25 systems (ie ones that follow the protocol exactly) and doesn't usually include any proprietary features into it's systems ,so I can't see any problems with it being monitored.

The Issues people have been having with decoding seem to be all around the issue of Simulcast systems. The system will broadcast on the same frequency over multiple sites to which the audio/signal is tightly controlled to reduce the overlap between sites (usually no more than a 1 to 2 mile area on a large system).

If you are located in this area there may be some degrading of the signal when your scanner is picking up two towers of equal strength. With analogue there may be some audio distortion but it will be completely audible.

With P25, the scanner can get confused as the stream of data gets disrupted as the scanner fights between receiving both sites. The only way to deal with this effectively is to put up an antenna that's directional towards one site i.e a directional YAGI and place it to try and shield from one site, that usually solves the problem.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
To get the thread back on track a bit, I was up there last weekend and while I only monitored for about 15 minutes, all I heard was analog.

Last edited:

gregroo75

Just recently Rhinelander Police Department I believe switched over to the digital system. When they transmit you only get static. Oneida County Sheriff and the fire departments are still on analog. Does anyone know thier new frequencies? I don't know much about digital...Is it possible they can transmit digital on their analog so we can hear them again?

gregroo75

When they key up it sounds like static...Almost sounds just like your Motorola Astro IMBE sound....static with no voice.

Last edited:

triryche

Premium Subscriber
The Onieda Co. NEW channels..

154.725 LAW 1
155.700 LAW 2 (P25)
154.445 FIRE/EMS 1
155.805 FIRE/EMS 2

Unknown PL or DPL info at this time or if it is/will be changing.

FYI, the county & Rhinelander were always big on using DVP encryption on the old system.

gregroo75

It sounds like we lost Law 1 and 2...It's all static now. They must be on a digital frequency. The frequency is probably digital and has not been published yet.

SCPD

QRT
the static could be encryption.
p25 encryption sound like static when it is not decoded, received by an analog receiver.
When the P25 is decoded with an encryted signal it sounds like donald duck on roids.

Status
Not open for further replies.