Scanner Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrina_K

Hi I live in Torrington, Wyoming (Goshen County) and our police etc have just switched from analog to digital. I have had a hand held analog scanner for a long time. I was told by Radio Shack that I if I could get the digital frequencies that they could program them in my analog scanner. I am having trouble finding them. Can anyone help? Thank You.

MFD4305

Oops!

Hi Sabrina,
I'm not sure why a question about Wyoming got moved to the Wisconsin forum - but - I'm afraid that the Radio Shack employee gave you bad information. While you certainly can program frequencies that carry digital transmissions into an analog scanner, you won't hear anything that's digital. It will just sound like static. Sorry!

Sabrina Radio Shack was only half right. They were correct about Goshen County going all digital. That means that you will have to buy a new scanner that is able to pick up digital frequenices. You will not be able to use the analog scanner on a P25 digital system. I recommend that you buy the Uniden BCD996XT. If you have anymore questions send me an email, I too live in Torrington, WY.

Last edited:

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
Hi I live in Torrington, Wyoming (Goshen County) and our police etc have just switched from analog to digital. I have had a hand held analog scanner for a long time. I was told by Radio Shack that I if I could get the digital frequencies that they could program them in my analog scanner. I am having trouble finding them. Can anyone help? Thank You.

Wow! Radioshack even sells digital scanners so they should know better than that. You can hear your police, sheriff and ems on digital now. The audio is much better, and if you are a regular listener it would be worth it to upgrade to a digital scanner. Scottsbluff is also digital, so there isn't going to be much to hear on analog any more.

tyytor

Wow! Radioshack even sells digital scanners so they should know better than that. You can hear your police, sheriff and ems on digital now. The audio is much better, and if you are a regular listener it would be worth it to upgrade to a digital scanner. Scottsbluff is also digital, so there isn't going to be much to hear on analog any more.

i agree but some of the radio shack's, there people are not trained to know what we have learned,
the one at cole shopping center is one of the best that i have dealings with,

tyytor

Sorry about that...

dont't be sorry, some of the radio shack's are in hardware stores need to be trained , were they do it for side income.
some are in malls the and shopping centers, from my point of view are better trained?

most of all the digital scanner RS, uniden and GRE scanners will do good for starters.

bezking

Ah. I'm not an RS employee, I'm the idiot moderator that accidentally moved this post to the Wisconsin forum instead of the Wyoming forum :lol:

Sabrina_K

Scanner frequencies

Sabrina Radio Shack was only half right. They were correct about Goshen County going all digital. That means that you will have to buy a new scanner that is able to pick up digital frequenices. You will not be able to use the analog scanner on a P25 digital system. I recommend that you buy the Uniden BCD996XT. If you have anymore questions send me an email, I too live in Torrington, WY.

Hawkspringsfire, thank you for replying to me. My father who has had a scanner for a long time went to radio shack here in Torrington to ask about the frequencies. They told him that everything has been scrambled and that the police were not wanting people to have the frequencies etc. So there was nothing they could do. What do i do with my old one? I really enjoyed having a handheld scanner...especially during the summer and I could take it with me where ever I went.

wyomingmedic

There are a few things to monitor with your old analog scanner. But it is very few and far between. Here in Casper, you can hear maybe 4 or 5 semi active analog frequencies, but the rest are digital.

Goshen County is on the WyoLink statewide system and to the best of my knowledge, it is not encrypted at all down there. And I know you can hear the WHP traffic from that area.

You will need a digital capable scanner. Pay no attention to the RadioShack sales people as they are simply wrong. They probably don't understand digital scanning so instead of talk folks into buying digital scanners and not be able to help them program them, they just brush it off. But we scanner and radio nerds know the truth :)

Right now there are a few options in Wyoming. Radioshack had the Pro-106 scanners on sale. If you cannot get them in Torrington, I know you can in Casper. If you have a little more patience, you can order a Uniden from some online sources.

There is certainly a learning curve for programming in the new systems, but you can get it. There are plenty of experienced folks here on the forums who can walk you through it.

WM

Status
Not open for further replies.