What the...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartleby

OK, so I guess I need to consider myself a newbie nowdays. The last time I picked up a scanner to program was in 99. I just went out and bought a Uniden BCD996XT. Seems like a very sweet scanner. Way nicer than the last few I had. The problem is that EVRYTHING seems to have changed.

Let me start. My first problem. I don't have internet access from any PC exept my phone and at work. This is making reading the user manual very dificult. The boss would be upset if I printed 2,000 pages of info to take home. The second problem that I am having is that the info that I have read from the manual is in a different language than one I have ever spoken. I AM COMPLETELY LOST!!

My first responce was to see if I could find someone in the area that could program it for me. The problem with that is I still wouldn't understand the language. I want to understand what is going on with it.

I have bought the the ARC program used for easier programming, but I can't even seem to get the scanner to communicate with my PC at home. It keeps telling me that the Driver software was not found. This makes sence because, like the manual, I'm sure I need internet access to download the drivers. I would love to be able to find the driver software so that I can download them to my phone and then transfer the files to my PC via the phone. Is this possible?

I guess what I need to do is find someone nearby that would have the time to sit down with me and show me what's going on and explain. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I live in Newcastle, WY which is close to Gillette, WY, Rapid City, SD or Spearfish, SD. Driving to those places wouldn't be so bad. I am a very hands-on learner and most of the time, just reading it won't help.

I hope someone is willing to take on the task of explaining from step 1 with me. Thank you in advance from anyone who is willing to get me started.

Bartleby

Ok, so I have spent the last 6 hours ( at work ) reading the manual and trying to understand this thing. I have set up a new system Using the frequencies I have gotten from the WyoLink Matrix from this website, I programmed in several frequencies and DEC talkgroup tags. I was able to pick up 1 brief transmission. Since then I have heard nothing. That makes me think I set it up improperly to trunk track.

I selected " New system". Then I selected "Edit Site". Then I selected "New site". Then I slected "Set frequencies". I then added all of the frequencies listed under Mount Pisgah for Weston County. I added them in order from the way they were listed on the page.

Then I selected "Edit Group". Then I selected "New Group". Then I selected "Edit channel". I then added each DEC code in the Weston County Talkgroups list from WyoLink.

After all of that, I still don't seem to have anything. Did I do the set-up correct?

I also have the Pre-programmed WyoLink system set to scan, but also don't seem to be getting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.