RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Wyoming Radio Discussion Forum

Wyoming Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Wyoming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 5:41 PM
Multistate DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Verify WHP data please

Highway Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Which of any of these are stil in service? Still some old lowband chanels and non-WyoLink freq's still showing active in the database.

What can be remove or rather what needs to stay?
Old 07-02-2013, 9:13 PM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

Bump, anyone? Is 155.44500 completely dead statewide? Used anywhere?

I assume lowband has been dead for awhile as well....?
Old 07-03-2013, 1:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

For what it's worth, I heard 155.445 and 154.875 last summer. Nothing noted for 155.640 or 155.910 for the same time.
I'll be back in WY probably next week for more listening.

Steve
Old 07-03-2013, 4:21 PM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

154.875 is an active mutual aid channel maintained by WHP, so we are good there. Where did you hear .445?
Old 07-03-2013, 5:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Unfortunately I know only that I heard it with WHP traffic. I suspect it was an area not covered by Wyolink. No other info.
Steve

Last edited by hpycmpr; 07-03-2013 at 5:33 PM.. Reason: more thinking.
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2013, 9:34 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

PJH, Please keep in mind here, that this info is being updated by a person, that has there location set to Los Angeles County, Ca
lowboy654@radioreference.com
Old 07-04-2013, 7:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The last time I heard them use .445 was last year in Afton and Jackson. Don't know if they are still using it or if they have switched. I will be in that area the end of the month and will listen unless some one else knows.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lowboy, a reasonable suspicion, but I spend my summers in the Rockies away from the heat of LA. Presently in CO and heading to WY next week. My scanning notes tend to be minimal while driving. I suspect that it was heard either in an area of no Wyolink or where the locals are still VHF. Last year my route was from Laramie to Buffalo and into the Bighorns for a stay and then to YNP and GTNP. So somewhere along there.

Steve
Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default WYOlink and older analog frequencies

A Wyoming trooper stated that most of Wyoming is digital but the Jackson area and other mountainous regions are still on the old system due to poor coverage. There are still areas where analog still rules, so, if you're in that area, it's still a good idea to keep the old ones..
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Jackson and most of GTNP is covered by Snow King quite well. I have heard Windy Ridge in the northern area around Moran Jct. But south of Jackson around Hoback Jct and E/W of there Wyolink is dead. That may have been where I heard the VHF.

Steve
Old 07-04-2013, 2:54 PM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

Received a PM stating that its still in use in the Buffalo area. I know last year (or maybe the summer before) that .445 was in use along I80 between Rawlins/Rock Springs but has since cut over to WyoLink AFAIK.

I am inclined to deprieate most of the system for 30 days, then remove the listings. If anyone can post specific troops AND area's, I'll modify the DB so it will read better until those troops and/or geograpical area's cut over to WyoLink.

Does anyone know when the lowband channels were last used? The licenses were renewed in 2011 under the DOT, so not sure what (if any) current use is. If anyone knows, and knows any PL tone(s) used that would be great.
Old 07-04-2013, 8:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone high atop the redwoods of Venus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJH View Post
I am inclined to deprieate most of the system
Huh!? What the heck is this supposed to mean? I've tried to find it in several dictionaries without any luck.

Old 07-04-2013, 9:33 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpint View Post
Huh!? What the heck is this supposed to mean? I've tried to find it in several dictionaries without any luck.
Here is one.
Deprecated – this status is used to remove a decommissioned trunked system. "Deprecated" trunked systems are not normally visible in the database but may be returned in search results.

Deleted – this status indicates that a system has been deleted. This status shall only be used to remove erroneous systems from the database. Use the "Deprecated" status to mark systems that are no longer in use.

Deprecated – This tag denotes a frequency or talkgroup that is no longer used. This tag shall be used only temporarily during transition/migration periods for new radio systems. Frequencies and talkgroups shall be deleted when they are truly obsolete.

I ask the OP here to please keep in mind even after a system has stoped using there Conv. stuff and have moved on to a trunking type system, if the FCC still shows as active license, I just deprecated it, as I see that some of there vehicles still have VHF or UHF antennas on them, and this is on a trunking system that went live years ago in my area...just a heads up
lowboy654@radioreference.com
Old 07-05-2013, 3:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone high atop the redwoods of Venus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowboy654 View Post
Here is one.
Deprecated this status is used to remove a decommissioned trunked system. "Deprecated" trunked systems are not normally visible in the database but may be returned in search results.
Thanks! When I searched for "deprieate" *that* was what came up. I was wondering *if* that was what he was trying for. Hence my MS.

Old 07-05-2013, 9:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You may want to consider that even though an agency primarily uses Wyolink, they may retain their VHF for back up purposes. An excellent idea when the primary system fails in an area.
San Diego County, which has a 800 MHz trunked radio system, was one of the victims of a multi county power failure a year ago. Those agencies with their old VHF still operable switched over and continued on.
If the cars are still equipped with VHF, I'd leave those frequencies listed.

Steve
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As Hpycmpr says, having the conventional analog channels available can come in mighty handy at times. There were (are) 4 statewide repeater systems in WY: WHP on 155.4450, DOT on 156.1050, SALECS on 155.6400 and Mutual Aid on 154.8750. Each system is on about 26 sites and offers about 88-90% mobile radio geographical coverage. When WyoLink went in, all the analog repeaters were upgraded to Quantars and tied into the Tx/Rx trunking combiner systems for IM protection. The analog systems were narrowbanded in 2012 in accord with FCC rules and, other than Mutual Aid, currently are not seeing a lot of use.

So ... what we have here are 4 complete, intact, independent, operational, paid-for, in-place, already licensed and reliable statewide VHF repeater systems that have all their remote sites tied back to the central dispatch facility in Cheyenne by piggybacking on the digital microwave backhaul system that was upgraded for WyoLink use. And, being that WyoLink is also VHF, the same radio can be programmed for both trunking as main use and analog repeaters for immediate backup.

The question then is, what is it costing the citizens to keep these backup systems available for immediate use in the event of some kind of catastrophic trunking outage. They're through infant mortality where any failures were covered under warranty, so now it is just routine maintenance, absent a massive lightning strike or power surge. Since the tech is already scheduled to go to the site for trunking maintenance anyway, it is just the incremental cost for the time to do checkouts on 3 additional analog repeaters while he is there (he's already doing Mutual Aid) at about 15 minutes per repeater. Internal loaded costs are $47/hour, so keeping each of the 3 statewide analog radio networks on-line and up to snuff comes to ($47 per hour x 26 sites x 1/4-hour per site) about $305.50 per year for each statewide VHF analog backup repeater system.

$305 per year for unlimited use of a VHF repeater system covering most of 97,000 square miles ... I'm pretty cheap and tight-fisted myself, but this looks like a bargain to me.

Regards,

Larry
Old 07-13-2013, 9:48 AM
Multistate DB Admin
Database Admin

Sounds awesome Larry.

Would the exisiting database for the troop locations still be considered correct, or would listing of a more geographical nature be more helpful?

Also, are the lowband channels dead or reused? I think the licenses show them being used somewhere up in the northern part of the state.

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2013, 8:33 AM
Member N7VU
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 155.445

There was a lot of police traffic on 155.445 with 250.3 PL around Pinedale last week. I was surprised since 155.445 has gone basically dead everywhere else, and I don't think 250.3 PL was part of the old system anyway.