Thread: D-STAR Systems
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS4VT View Post
Try listening to my 147.390 in the morning between 6:30 and 7:30. We have 4 or 5 of us on it like clockwork and it goes clear into BelleGlade and 1/2 way across I-75 during non-band openings.
Will do, Mark. I get enough tropo up here to hear it every now and then, I'm sure. XTS2500's for 3 bills, huh? You know how to get all the good deals!

As far as programming goes, I already got used to it now that I understand it. Software helps because the user interface on the ham maggot gear sucks. That is the only headache I see. Programming a Motowiz radio to really get it to be optimal is not all that easy either (until you get used to all the things you need to do in the software). But what does P25 on amateur bands offer other than digital over analog? It's fun, but what does it do that analog doesn't do? Encryption would be nice, but that's out on amateur bands. I think D-STAR is attractive because of the routing features...like a smartzone omnipoint system in a way. Now if you can make that happen on amateur P25 repeaters, you've got something. It's the big selling point to D-STAR. I am curious though which digital format works better in a mobile environment. My first experience told me D-STAR is not too tolerant towards mobile fading. I would like to see a side by side mobile test of both in a weak signal environment to tell which is better. I have a feeling P25 is. That would be a fun test! I also wonder what will happen with P25 Phase II. Will some of the good IMBE audio be lost? Will it be just like TDMA AMBE?? Will today's P25 systems upgrade to phase II???

Phil