View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4mnd View Post
Funny....I have never seen the 420-440 mhz range ever used for emergecy services, no storm spotting, no reports sent to the NWS, and certainly never used as emergency backup communications. In fact, all of the services that the USA article speaks of would more than likely all be on the 441-450 mhz range where repeaters or simplex frequencies would be utilized, In fact, about the only operations (if at all) that are found in
the range that we would be losing is satellite operations. So the part of the band that we would be losing would not even effect emergency service operations (in my opinion). In reality, most of the emergency operations would be conducted on 2 mtrs anyway. Lets face it fellow hams, we all know that the 420-440 mhz range rarely ever gets used by any of us except for a few satellite ops, we never used this range before, now we wanna cry "foul" and lead the gov't to believe that we actually use this range for emergency operations? It really makes me wonder lol. Bottom line, if you don't use it, you lose it!
In the Detroit area, the 420-430 MHz range is used by some public safety and SMR operators and is off limits to HAMS already.

The 430-440 MHz range is heavily used for repeater links for voting receivers for many of the 2M machines in the area. My county's primary 2M ARPSC/ARES/Skywarn repeater has multiple receive sites for coverage, all linked back to the voter in this range.

When the counties in this National Weather Service area (17 counties) report to the NWS office in White Lake, MI, it's almost all done over multiple linked 440MHz repeaters.

As you can see, while the band may not be used much in your area, losing the 430-440 MHz range would definately have an effect on our ability to provide skywarn communications in this area.

Mike