View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Lead Wiki Manager

Since the Kenwood TM-V71 and Yaesu FT-7900 keep coming up in this conversation, let me point out a big difference between the two. The TM-V71 is a true dual-band radio and will receive two frequencies simultaneously. The FT-7900 will not. The closest equivalent to the TM-V71 in the Yaesu line is the FT-8800. The FT-8800 has been on the market since about 2003.

As for Kenwood's quality issues, the TM-V71 and TM-D710 (which use the same RF deck) did have a known problem with a lack of protection for the filter circuits. Supposedly, this has been addressed in later production runs. The actual percentage of radios that have lost receive sensitivity due to this problem is very small. FWIW, I own two TM-D710s and a TM-V71 none of which have had the problem. Yes, I'm a Kenwood guy (back to that Ford vs. Chevy debate). I have owned a very long list of Kenwood mobiles dating back to a TM-241 that I purchased 20 years ago. I have been generally satisfied with Kenwood's performance and reliability. On the other side of the coin, I know people locally who have various Yaesu FT-7800, 7900, 8800, and 8900 radios that have been trouble-free.

The OP's decision to wait until he can visit a ham store to try out various radios is a good one. Reading specs and reviews will only tell you part of the story. Getting your hands on a radio to see how you adapt to it will be very beneficial to your decision-making.

You can download a handy comparison chart for many types of amateur radio gear from:

http://aesham.com/PDF_cat/pages042-044.pdf

Last edited by W9RXR; 04-19-2011 at 10:57 AM..