View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 6:03 PM

Arizona seems to be heading in the direction of a statewide digital trunked system at some point down the road. Little by little, agencies to the north of Yuma County are migrating to Yuma's system. This is a Phase I APCO-25 system.

When I travel on highways, no matter what state I'm in, I want to be able to listen to the state's department of transportation and their highway patrol. When I travel to the Phoenix area to visit my wife's family I want to hear the Phoenix District of ADOT, as well as the other districts that are still on conventional analog systems. Being able to hear ADOT while traveling to and from Phoenix has saved us several times when accidents or other incidents have jammed up the freeways there. Recently ADOT's Phoenix District moved to the Yuma system. I run a GRE PSR-600 in my "out of town car" so I haven't missed a beat.

I spent a lot of money in 2008 to get the latest scanners so they would be as future proof as possible. Except for the development and installation of Phase II systems my PSR-600's and a 500 will work for many years to come. These scanners included the 700 MHz band, which didn't have a channel plan at the time. GRE built the radio with firmware that allowed it to be updated after the channel plan was determined.

However, if you were to buy a used PSR-600 today for $300 to $400 dollars you would have to replace it much earlier than the new Uniden's. I've been scanning since the late 60's and have always tried to get the latest model I could. I've spent less than I would have if I kept trying to save money in the short run.

Take a look at the You Tube videos of the new Uniden products as someone else stated. There are some good new features built into them that don't have anything to do with Phase II, but make the scanner much easier to use.

As far as a hobby, scanning is much cheaper than most hobbies. A $500 scanner today is cheaper than a top of the line model from the 1980's. In fact in equivalent dollars the newest scanner today cost less than the Regency crystal tuned scanner I bought in 1969. Think about the expense of snow and water skiing, woodworking, photography, fly fishing, to name a few. At ski areas in the west you can't ski for 10 days for the price of the latest scanner. Look at the price of computers needed to visit this site and program the scanners I'm on a partial retirement (got real sick before I was 55 and 25 years of service so my retirement is pretty lousy) and somehow I've been able to afford an occasional scanner and a ham radio now and again. I had to give up cable TV (with no over the air option here), all magazines, driving my 4WD and ate $2 dinners for 10 months, but I now have a scanner that will be useful, at least in rural areas, for many more years.