View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 9:51 PM
Seņor Member

Thanks DekP.

Knowing the system you're monitoring is EDACS helps alot.

EDACS has no system identity. When you point a signal decoding receiver at the control channel, the program has no easy way to know the identity of the system you are monitoring. It only knows the site number.

The program copes with this by prompting you for the control channel frequency. The site number, control channel LCN number and control channel frequency provide a strong correlation to distinguish one EDACS system from another.

The problem for you is that - when the signal drops (or the control channel moves) and is re-acquired - the program must re-discover the identity of the system. You will see a new site - with empty channels - and the prompt "Frequency needed!" next to the control channel. If you type in the control channel frequency at that time, the program can match the site to a previously logged site - and switch to it.

To save you the hassle of having to type in the frequency each time this happens - the program tries to retrieve the control channel frequency from the radio. If you have an inline model, a "both" receiver (computer controlled receiver with discriminator tapped audio), or an RTL stick - the program may be able to retrieve the control channel frequency and switch to the previously logged site.

The program's ability to do so varies from one model to the next. Last I checked, my BC895XLT and RTL2832U stick did this just fine but my PSR500 did not (it's on my list of things to fix).

There is a receiver setting that may help you here. The setting gives you a way to tell the program that the specific receiver will be dedicated to a specific site. Look for the "Lock Mode" setting on the signal receiver. With the receiver running and the site window active, flip the lock mode to "Dedicated".

The next time the signal drops, the program assumes you have NOT yanked the receiver to a monitor a different site. When you wish to monitor a different site or system, be sure to set the Lock Mode back to "None".

Another tool the program gives you to cope with this problem is the Consolidate button on the System window. At some point you may end up with two copies (or more) of the same EDACS system. If you've monitored the same site from different control channels, the program may not realize they are the same site. If you know this to be the case, you can manually merge the two systems (and any sites contained therein) into one. Do take care when using this feature - as it is not reversible.

I know this is a bit of a pain but - so far - it's the best mechanism I've found for preventing the data from unrelated sites polluting another site just because they share the same site number.