View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Unless you have a mag loop with remote tuning, attic mounting is a non-starter. They are typically very high Q and simply do not have the bandwidth to cover any of the bands completely. Even then, since the "rough tuning" is mainly accomplished by listening to the noise level from the receiver as you turn the capacitor for a peak, doing so without the receiver near you as you tune would be difficult.

Fine tuning for lowest SWR would be even more difficult...

I ordered MFJ's most expensive remotely-tunable High-Q magnetic loop to use with my shiny new KX3-PX3 rig. After waiting six weeks for my backordered MFJ-1786 to be built and delivered, when it finally arrived the control box proved to be DOA; it would not power up. Having traced the problem to a defective 2.5mm coaxial power jack (negative side had no continuity), and even batteries would not power up the control box, I called MFJ this morning. The technician said they have no control boxes available and it would take at least another five weeks for them to get another one for me, he was completely unsurprised when I requested a return label for a full refund.

I also ordered a Deluxe Buddipole (current in transit), so hopefully I'll finally get to try out the KX3! However, just as in the case of a mag loop antenna, ready access to the antenna is critical for tuning, but tuning a Buddistick (or pole) not nearly as fiddly as a mag loop!