View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 6:49 PM

A Coyote 2200 update.
The tower is up--- all 45 feet of it, sans the top loading coil. The transmitter is set and the borrowed amplifier - connected. The matching circuit is a simplicity of design... a huge coil with a very large variable capacitor... most likely to be replaced with something better.
I took it briefly out of the 2200 ham band to a nearby NTIA frequency I can access and ran a brief test-- 2150 watts into the antenna, a narrow band frequency shift test signal..
And.....
Bingo! .............. RST 569 at ~250 miles.
Now it can all sit until the day 2200 is officially released. That will give me time to work on that top hat loading coil. Besides, we've a Spring blizzard blowing up on the mountain, and it will be awhile before I'm back in Colorado..... it can sit--
On another note: in talking about my "Folly" with a colleague, he reminded me that frequencies below 9Khz are not regulated. Yes, I know- that is Really Low-- but-- experiments are being run there all the time and surprising thing occur.... plus, there are no rules...
I throw that out for what its worth-- plus don't discount the 160-190Khz allocation under Part 15--
The VLF and VeryVeryVLF's are a blossoming experimenter's playground.
So-- awaiting Spring to finally settle in... and the FCC to act..................
.................................CF