View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 8:23 PM

mmckenna's comments are right on and RFI-EMI-GUY's comments on wifi and cellular are totally valid. I live on the southern edge of the Adirondack Park. Cellular service is spotty at best up here. Once you leave a village that has a cell tower, it's dozens of miles of "NO SERVICE" in every direction. Many of the towns have some wifi in the commercial districts or individual businesses, but it's hit or miss. We know that the state would like to bring high speed fiber optic throughout the park, but given the vastness of this place, it's not going to solve any radio problems any time soon.

A few of the communities have some digital radio systems in place and a couple of police departments are encrypted, but for the most part, it's good old conventional analog everywhere you go. Even being above Line C, we don't have much trouble getting frequencies allocated, but there's not a lot of need for expansion in that regard. So I think conventional analog is here to stay for a long, long time in the rural and wilderness areas of the US. I don't have any recent experience with Canada, but I suspect they're in much the same condition away from the cities and large towns.