View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 9:59 PM

Oh, I completely agree that conventional two way radio is not going to go extinct any time soon. There will always be situations where a pair of walkie talkies will work where nothing else will. How long will it be, if ever, where low power devices have 100 percent global coverage and 100 percent uptime/availability?

Way over 30 years after the deployment of the first cell phone systems, we don't even have end to end coverage in the US yet.

But the writing is on the wall, and it says "We're moving toward VOIP and IP based technology", a trend that will continue.

Just as there are cities where, today, public wifi access is available over large portions of the city, with plans to build out those networks to total coverage as the equipment gets ever cheaper and even faster to configure and set up, the same thing will happen in the radio industry, and it's going to happen in the public safety communications market as one of the first activities to begin the transition.

It's already starting. Adding LTE connectivity to 700/800 MHz public safety systems is only the beginning, a first step of many steps toward a radio system that is an app running on a future version of
a wifi network. I believe some radios can also be equipped with optional capability to operate on the 4.9 GHz wifi networks that are allocated exclusively for public safety usage.

Whatever comes after APCO Project 25, it's not going to be another more or less conventional analog/digital trunked radio system specification. Project 50 (let's call it that) will be more about specifying the features and protocols of the app-centric wifi-based public safety communications systems of the future.