View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 9:20 AM

Are you under the impression that we won't continue to improve digital technology?

Of course it's going to get better. The better it gets, the more usable it will be in situations
where analog radio is, so far, still better.

I draw an analogy between CRT based home theater projectors which were the king of image
quality 15 years ago. At the time, digital projectors just did not deliver the same level of image
quality, in fact it wasn't even close. For displaying a powerpoint presentation, they were fine,
but for watching a movie in a home theater environment, CRT was the undisputed king.
Today, digital projectors are at a point where even moderately priced ones equal or surpass
the best CRT units ever made, plus they're simpler to set up, smaller, and lighter, with a brighter
picture.

That happened because of more than 15 years of research and development and improvement of
the digital projection technologies and optical systems.

I have every reason to believe that digital radio systems will develop to the point that eventually, digital
will outperform analog in EVERY situation. You'll get clear digital audio under conditions where an analog signal would be unintelligible. We're not there yet but it keeps getting better.

I do think that eventually, the LMR model will become obsolete at least in major population areas, where
they will deploy high bandwidth mesh networks for total coverage using low power radios.

In systems like that, you won't need 3, 4, 5, or 6 watt radios, you'll be using devices with the 300 mW power level of a cell phone and never be far from a microsite. The device shrinks because it doesn't need a big battery and becomes more convenient to operate.

That transition will start in the big cities but how long will it be, if ever, before all the corn field in Nebraska have full wifi coverage?

That by itself would indicate that there will be a need for bigger, longer range sites and higher power radios for a long time to come. But they'll only be used where needed.

I envision a three tiered system. Large, medium, and small sites, at high, medium, and low power levels, with the smaller sites being more abundant on the ground. All networked, all working seamlessly as one system. Downtown areas use lots of microsites, residential and lower density areas get medium sites, rural areas are served by high power, long range sites but with reduced total bandwidth availability as a result.