View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 8:45 AM
KE4FHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
I might be missing something here, but let me chime in. As I recall, Jotto desks have holes that align with the seat mounts. One unblolts the seats, lines up the console, relocates the seats, then reinstall the bolts.

Wouldn't that provide a sufficient enough chassis ground - certainly as well grounded as the dash.
You would think so, but not necessarily. We've had vehicles come in from other installers that just used what they thought would be a good ground, i.e., seat bolts, seat-belt bolts, etc. only to find equipment acting strangely. Dim panel lights on equipment, siren not working correctly, etc. Things would work correctly one minute, but fail the next. Paint, grease or other contaminates can cause a ground to fail.

It is always a good idea to run a dedicated ground from a factory ground lug. They put these lugs throughout the vehicles for factory options. They are usually located at the base of every pillar, and can be found in other areas as well. Don't rely on things that seem like they should work. They can introduce unwanted/sporadic results.