View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 2:44 PM

I use a Kenwood D710A in the vehicle for crossband repeating when needed. I set it for 5W and rarely set it for 10W. (Never at 50W for crossband)

For handhelds when doing this I use a Kenwood D72A or F6A that can also control the D710 remotely, beyond just repeating through it. Hmm...actually you can use any HT to remotely control the Kenwood mobile, as long as it has DTMF functionality.

Someone mentioned the V71A and I would think that radio can do the same thing as the D710. The difference between them is the control head and body shape, as the V71A can become a D710A with the latter control head.

A Kenwood D74A would work as well on the HT side, but for the price of that new handheld radio you could pick up a used V71A and either one of the Kenwood HT's I mentioned.

My recommendation would be a D710A or AG (mobile) and the D72A or D74A (handheld) because of your request for packet data features. All of those radios offer that. A GPS can be added to a D710, whereas it is built in to the D710AG. Either of those radios will do Winmail via a PC and if there is a station nearby. Those radios also handle APRS, but again you will need a GPS for the discontinued D710A model. I use a Green Light Labs GPS which you should not pay more than $100 for.

I also find myself in mountain areas here in California and the remote repeater feature comes in handy. Still, I recommend you dig around and program local/regional amateur radio repeaters into your handheld and mobile. You might reach them fine.

As to that 8 watts from an HT, I turn my power down to 1 watt and step it up as needed from there. Battery life is critical. I also do not use the stock antennas on my radios.

(I believe my Yaesu 400XDR and FT1XDR will also do the above, but I have yet to test them)