View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 4:27 PM

A ZeroFive vertical usually has a 4:1 type balun at the base and needs lots of ground radials with a tuner in the shack. With everything working perfect its a very mediocre antenna at best using the supplied balun.

The very best thing to do is ditch the balun and use a wide range auto tuner right at the base with plenty of radials, then the antenna will wake up and work everywhere just fine. If your Icom had a tune button a good tuner would be the Icom AH-4, but I don't know how your radio would deal with that.

Otherwise an SGC-230, 231 or 237 series would work fine and you would just key up in AM mode or low power FM while watching your SWR meter, when it settles down your good to talk.

I have a similar antenna, the DX Engineering 43ft that also came with a 4:1 balun. It was a dog until I replaced the balun with an SGC tuner and then it came alive and worked great. I also played with different amounts of ground radials and going from four to eight to a dozen then finally about 30 really helped. All my radials are about 30-33ft long.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1JWJ View Post
I am setting up a 27’ zerofive vertical antenna in an RV park. My little LDG AT-100Pro is not doing the best job tuning tuning this antenna and I am not even certain it is operating properly (it was given to me).

So, I am looking for suggestions - manual or auto, remote or in shack - that will do the best job possible.

Also, I‘m running an older IC-735 in my RV so I do not have a “tune” button on the transceiver. This being the case, how would one tune a remote tuner from in the shack??

My hearty thank you for any help provided. Anxious to get on the air!